She's not happy...

JCrane

Original Poster
Some much more optimistic tales for me to cling to now...thanks guys and gals!

I've made sure to in-corporate a few days off-property throughout the fortnight including taking in La Nouba (surprise), a Spa Day and a couple of visits to Universal (don't hate me, folks!) so hopefully she won't feel too swamped!

shoppingnut

If you are going in October, consider going to the Halloween Party and maybe take advantage of one of the many Food & Wine Festival dinners, although these are both extra $$'s, but would be different. Also, the Jellyrolls night club over by the Boardwalk hotel and the Irish Pub, Ragland Road (at 9p there is a live band and step dancer, food is good here as well) are lots of fun too.

Last year when I talked my brother and his family into going at the end of August because of the free dining offer, my brother really didn't want to go, but after years of badgering by me, he finally gave in for the sake of the kids. The last time he was there was about 20 years ago, so he couldn't comprehend all that was down there now. I had planned out the entire week with all our dinner sit down meals at my favorite restaurants (Le Cellier, Chef de France, Brown Derby, CRT for the princess breakfast for my 5 yr old niece, Chef Mickey's, Crystal Palace). He couldn't believe there was so much down there and was amazed at the detail that went into the attractions, in particular the American Adventure (he's history buff) and how good all the food was. We saw and did quite a bit in the week we were there considering it was August which is hot and a bit crowded, but both he and my sister in law realized that you need to do planning in order to have a good trip because there is so much to see and do. He now talks about going back.

Badger Brent

If I ever get more than my normal week, I would love to slow down the pace and visit the WDW hotel's and take in the dining and atmosphere that they offer. Strolling slowly around boardwalk at night after RoE would be cool. Taking mid-day breaks from the parks relaxing at your hotel pool. Shower and get slowly ready and head back to your closing park for the night. I've taken 1st timers with and we stuck to the small breaks during the day. As we came back into the parks, you would see worn out families heading out because they were exhausted. I took our 1st timers slow and let them choose some things and places to redo or try for the 1st time. Like others have said, let the beginning happen naturally. Have CM's or other guests take pictures of BOTH of you. I have way too many pictures of part of our family. I wish I would've had more guts to ask CM's or others to take our photo's as a family. Hope you pull it off, I think you will.:animwink:

newfanatic

My DH had never been, and did not want to go. I finally talked him into going "for the sake of the kids." He laughed at me as I planned everything out, but after we got there he was so glad that I had. I think we were at the CBR an hour before he was "converted." He said that it was the first vacation he has ever taken where he actually was able to put work and all other anxieties completely out of his mind. He now talks about "when we go back." Even the kids have said they knew it would be fun, but didn't know it would be THAT much fun.

Good luck with the conversion. I am sure you will be successful!

JCrane said:

I've made sure to in-corporate a few days off-property throughout the fortnight including taking in La Nouba (surprise), a Spa Day and a couple of visits to Universal (don't hate me, folks!) so hopefully she won't feel too swamped!

No hate directed at you JCrane Universal possibly isnt the favoured park there but it has it's good points! Its also a good fall back if Disney isnt to your GF's tastes.

You say you havent been to Florida since 2001, did you miss out on Islands of Adventure then? If you did then I suggest doing it at least once during your holiday but be warned, EVERYTHING at Universal is pretty extreme, even on the two water rides they take it to the max (dont ride them unless it's a hot day!) and the Spiderman ride is a must see.

JCrane

Original Poster
No, I did it all last time I was over although since my last visit they've shut down Kongfrontation :mad: (Emotional Sentiment) and opened Shrek 4-D and The Mummy so I have more than enough reasons to want to go back again!

Having said that, the bulk of the trip will be spent on Disney property...

RichMGH

JCrane said:

LaNouba and the Spa are GREAT ideas. My fiance was in the same boat. We went in September and she looked at it as just another vacation...until we got there. Epcot floored her. She raved to family and friends after we got back about shopping and dining around the world. (I'd also highly recommend dinner in one of the countries...what's her favorite type of food?) Also, I think the sheer graduer of it all really wowed her, too. She respects the love affair I have with WDW now. Doesn't totally share it...but definitely gets it.

bluejasmine

JennyTablina said:
x_o dont do that. One thing you shouldnt do before you go on holiday is over Disney-out someone before they go on holiday, it works for kids but adults may be sick of Disney after a lot a concentrated watching. Though it depends on the person. Does your girlfriend like Disney at all movie wise? If so watch a few classics with her, maybe introduce her to some new Disney films over the coming months but dont plush it. As it is your girlfriend will be surrounded by Disney for a whole two weeks and she has to be able to bear it. Disney-loving people cant get enough of the Disneyness but to others the Disneyness can get a bit much. Besides this your airline will most likely cover that base for you in your inflight entertainment.

I agree my DH isnt a fanatic like I am and once we have decided to go to WDW I am in like full Disney mode, kids and I have our CDs of all the theme songs of the rides we listen too, Im on all the boards online, kids and I watch disney movies and I am making all my ADRs and talking about them, kids and i are looking over park maps and making plans..lol Yea we really plan alot out. We have a blast doing it tho. Now DH doesnt get excited until the night before but the rest of us just cant sleep. Once we get there he has a good time but again he isnt like the rest of us, we are up at 7 ready to go to the food courts for breakfast and hit the parks and once we are there we like run from ride to ride having a blast while he would rather take his time, I cant tell you how many arguements we have had cause the kids and I see a ride has almost no wait so we are running over there but DH is taking his time so we end up having to wait on him meanwhile everyone and their brother realizes this ride has no wait so of course by the time DH gets there we are in the back of the line..:hammer:

He also gets irritated when I talk about the trip alot so Ive learned to back off some. I think your GF will catch on to the magic, maybe not as much as you but I wouldnt force it.. I think doing something special for her would be nice tho.

One thing I did last yr was make a trip just for me and the kids and we had such a blast, so thats another option for you if this trip isnt so great and Im sure you GF wont mind you going by yourself or with family or friends if she doesnt catch the magic..

Discmen

My wife and I went on our honeymoon, a few months after we got married. She had never been. My parents used to take us ever couple of years, from the year WDW opened until after college. So I have always been a Disney junkie. Well, she just loved it. We were up every morning to get in for the extra magic hour, and, except for an afternoon swim break, stayed out till the parks closed. My thinking was that we could get back to doing what newlyweds do after we left Disney and returned to our normal, boring, non-WDW lives. She agreed. We have been several times since, twice with the kids and once for a second honeymoon, which was the most fun we had in years. It was great to act like kids again, especially without our actual kids along to spoil the fun. I guess some people won't get it, and I get razzed at the office for constantly going to Disney instead of the beach or whatever. But the fam is going back this August, so I guess that about says it.

abian

meryll83 said:
on this note, does anyone know anyone who's been to WDW and hated it?
I don't!!!
I know quite a lot. They hate the price of the ticket and joking and laughing on some rides thinking they are not "magic" but "trick". Well, to each and his/her own. Sometimes they do make points. Some other friends of mine thought that those rides and shows in Disney are either too childish and cheesy, or not being to thrilling. Disney is not appealing to lots of people though.

My Husband hates Disney

I did not get to go as a child, but my husband went once. Apparently he went when he was very young (2 or 3), although his father was completely against taking him and did leave his younger brother at home. When we started getting serious I made him promise if we ever got married we would go to Disney for our honeymoon. Well that is what we did in 2002 and we have been there every year since. It was love at first sight for me, unfortunately my husband has had an increasingly bad attitude towards Disney. (I suspect it is a result of the connection his childhood Disney memories have to his father and their relationship). Our last trip in May was by far the worst, he actually even made my trip miserable at times. I wasn't even allowed to talk about the planning in front of him. He made me promise that this would be our last trip for a while, however in a moment of suprise he agreed to take me for our first fall trip next year. After five years, I think he may finally be accepting that Disney isn't so bad after all. He has even brought up different references to Disney since we got home. I keep hoping that he will wake up one day and have this magical revelation that Disney is by far the greatest vacation destination.

cmatt

she will crack... mrs cmatt did when i first to her to DLRP... now she is more of a nut then me!

she even forces me to take photos of her and the characters and not one single one of me :( *im not bothered - honest*

Firewolfe51

It has always been our opinion that, you either "get it" or you don't. It doesn't seem to matter if you even grew up loving WDW. Some people that go on their first trip hate everything about Disney, while other first time goers instantly feel the "MAGIC". Those who have never been and do not care to cannot understand what we Disney lovers feel. I think it will be up to your girlfriend to feel the magic. You can't make someone "get it".

BTW: Yep, we know several people that fall into this category...so sad.:cry:

Goof-Man

Careful

AS I just realized this past month, taking someone to disney who is unsure can be a disappointment to you. To us, WDW is the most amazing place and to us nothing can happen and we just experience and live the magic for as many days as we can on our vacations. However, if you go with someone who has not or does not experience disney like us, the smallest thing could cause an argument.

Disney is overwhleming and if they do not like theme parks, do not force them on rides or such, and although they will fake it for us, the are not enjoying themselves at all.

A bad experience recently and this is just a tip.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom