Shellfish Allergy Question

GJM724

Original Poster
I was 180 days out this morning from my vacation and I was able to book every restaurant and time that I wanted for our vacation except for Fantasmic Dinner Package on the first night. Hoping something pops up eventually for that. But the real reason for my post is that I forgot to put that I have a shellfish allergy on my requests page in the rush of trying to secure every reservation that I wanted. I tried to see if I could edit this online, but I couldn't. Can I call to have this added to my reservations? Or do I just tell them when we check in for the reservation?

Thanks,

Weather_Lady

Absolutely, you can call the Disney dining line now, and have it added -- I've done it myself after making ADRs and realizing I'd neglected to mention DH's allergies. Be sure to mention it again at the restaurant (if your server doesn't bring it up, first - ours always did, so the system works!) to make sure they're aware. Typically they'll send out a chef who will tell you what on the menu is safe for you.

GJM724

Original Poster
Absolutely, you can call the Disney dining line now, and have it added -- I've done it myself after making ADRs and realizing I'd neglected to mention DH's allergies. Be sure to mention it again at the restaurant (if your server doesn't bring it up, first - ours always did, so the system works!) to make sure they're aware. Typically they'll send out a chef who will tell you what on the menu is safe for you.

Thanks! Luckily my allergy isn't super severe but I had an issue on my honeymoon in St. Lucia at the Hibachi place, so I am most worried about Teppen Edo.

DisDadWoz

Give them a call and they will update your reservations. You can also confirm when you check in for your ressie. The chefs have always been fantastic with coming out to speak with us for the person in our party who has the allergy. One year they went as far as to go next door to another restaurant to cook something in the deep fryer because the one they were using at ours had just been used to fry some fish in.

Phonedave

Thanks! Luckily my allergy isn't super severe but I had an issue on my honeymoon in St. Lucia at the Hibachi place, so I am most worried about Teppen Edo.

Kimono's at La Toc in St Lucia? Food was not bad, but we showed up early before the place opened (because we were heading over from The Grande where we were staying). Got in there before anybody was in the dining room. Biggest rat I have seen outside of NYC went running across the floor. Good times, good times.

All stories aside, hibachi is not the best for people with allergies. Disney is good about it, and they will even cook stuff in the kitchen if they have to, but I have seen them mix all sorts of stuff together at various places, even when people say they are allergic. Food tends to go everywhere on a teppan grill.

GJM724

Original Poster
Kimono's at La Toc in St Lucia? Food was not bad, but we showed up early before the place opened (because we were heading over from The Grande where we were staying). Got in there before anybody was in the dining room. Biggest rat I have seen outside of NYC went running across the floor. Good times, good times.

All stories aside, hibachi is not the best for people with allergies. Disney is good about it, and they will even cook stuff in the kitchen if they have to, but I have seen them mix all sorts of stuff together at various places, even when people say they are allergic. Food tends to go everywhere on a teppan grill.

Kimono's bingo! Glad we already ate there after hearing your story. I saw the biggest roach ever at the piano bar on the last night of our vacation that landed on my leg. Still gives me nightmares. We had Butler service which made the vacation, and overall loved the place, but I could see how there could be bug/rat problems there.

Also agree on the Teppen Grill. I have had rarely had problems state side with the issue, and the worst thing that happens is that I turn red like a cherry and break out a little. Not a life or death situation, but usually if I say something the problem gets avoided.

HouCuseChickie

Agreed with @Weather_Lady about both calling to add it and reminding them when you're at the meal.

A side note on the shellfish allergy...I don't know if you react to all shellfish or just some under the shellfish umbrella. I specifically react to clams, but was advised to be cautious with all bivalves. I can eat crustaceans, gastropods and cephalopods without issue, but clams make me violently ill. So, I decided to add the allergy to our ADRs for one of our trips. I got so many questions and had one chef who refused to serve me shrimp. I get it. DD12 is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and we avoid all tree nuts (per her dr and the severity of her allergies), even though she tests ok with things like almonds and pistachios. Still, it's a pain when you know you can eat something and they deny you. I would still add it to your ADRs, but if there are some things you can eat, be ready to discuss it when you talk to your server or the chef.

Phonedave

Kimono's bingo! Glad we already ate there after hearing your story. I saw the biggest roach ever at the piano bar on the last night of our vacation that landed on my leg. Still gives me nightmares. We had Butler service which made the vacation, and overall loved the place, but I could see how there could be bug/rat problems there.

Also agree on the Teppen Grill. I have had rarely had problems state side with the issue, and the worst thing that happens is that I turn red like a cherry and break out a little. Not a life or death situation, but usually if I say something the problem gets avoided.

We loved the place too. We didn't have butler service, but we still had a great time. I totally understand the tropics and "vermin" bugs, rodents, etc. they are everywhere. You really just have to deal with it.

GJM724

Original Poster
Agreed with @Weather_Lady about both calling to add it and reminding them when you're at the meal.

A side note on the shellfish allergy...I don't know if you react to all shellfish or just some under the shellfish umbrella. I specifically react to clams, but was advised to be cautious with all bivalves. I can eat crustaceans, gastropods and cephalopods without issue, but clams make me violently ill. So, I decided to add the allergy to our ADRs for one of our trips. I got so many questions and had one chef who refused to serve me shrimp. I get it. DD12 is allergic to peanuts and tree nuts and we avoid all tree nuts (per her dr and the severity of her allergies), even though she tests ok with things like almonds and pistachios. Still, it's a pain when you know you can eat something and they deny you. I would still add it to your ADRs, but if there are some things you can eat, be ready to discuss it when you talk to your server or the chef.

Well so far I have had reactions to Shrimp (how I first figured out the allergy) and Lobster (my wife got lobster juice on my ribs while cracking them) so I am pretty sure that I am allergic to all of them. Working on going to an allergist and seeing if it is everything.

GJM724

Original Poster
We loved the place too. We didn't have butler service, but we still had a great time. I totally understand the tropics and "vermin" bugs, rodents, etc. they are everywhere. You really just have to deal with it.

We went to secrets the year before in Jamaica, and that place would have had hundreds of health code violations. The only food I trusted was this guy pushing a grill on wheels at lunch time serving jerk chicken.

Herdman

My wife has a shellfish allergy, and there isn't anyplace we've ever gone that is more accommodating than Disney. As others have said be sure to mention it to the server if they don't first. Most of the time the chef will actually come to your table and discuss your options with you. We've gone to Teppan Edo on our last two visits, and the chef has cleaned off the grill and cooked my wife's food first before putting any shrimp or crab on the grill. Have fun!!

KCL

I was 180 days out this morning from my vacation and I was able to book every restaurant and time that I wanted for our vacation except for Fantasmic Dinner Package on the first night. Hoping something pops up eventually for that. But the real reason for my post is that I forgot to put that I have a shellfish allergy on my requests page in the rush of trying to secure every reservation that I wanted. I tried to see if I could edit this online, but I couldn't. Can I call to have this added to my reservations? Or do I just tell them when we check in for the reservation?

Thanks,
I did the same thing. Just called the WDW-DINE number tonight and they added it all for me.

John park hopper

I too have a shellfish allergy (pretty bad). Any restaurant we ate at in WDW we told the server when ordering and they were most accommodating --never had a problem. DW carries an Epi pen all ways just incase plus benidril.

mmnw

I hate to be negative, but we went a few months ago with our first diagnosed allergies. I’m not sure if it was the type of restaurants we visited (some more casual.) But I felt like restaurants were a bit more hands off. We were given pamphlets that indicated what foods were safe at the buffets. I don’t have the wording, but again places seemed more hands off. We didn’t eat any dishes that surrounded the allergens because we know the allergens could fall into the serving dish we wanted. I know Disney is great about allergies. I do. I just felt like at the kid buffet places we were on our own a bit.

John park hopper

I can say table service restaurants are very good about allergy issues possible because the food is cooked to serve. The buffet is a different story the food is probably cooked in mass and put out. Exactly why I would never go to a seafood buffet there is no telling what shrimp or other shellfish has come in contact with other things on the buffet.

dreamfinder

I hate to be negative, but we went a few months ago with our first diagnosed allergies. I’m not sure if it was the type of restaurants we visited (some more casual.) But I felt like restaurants were a bit more hands off. We were given pamphlets that indicated what foods were safe at the buffets. I don’t have the wording, but again places seemed more hands off. We didn’t eat any dishes that surrounded the allergens because we know the allergens could fall into the serving dish we wanted. I know Disney is great about allergies. I do. I just felt like at the kid buffet places we were on our own a bit.

WDW has been trying to transition to allergy menus instead of having the chef come out to talk to everyone. Alot of common allergies are handled through the menus without a problem. However, every restaurant the wait staff still asked if we needed/wanted to speak to the chef or if the allergy listing was sufficient. And at the buffets, we asked the wait staff or the chef depending on the location to have fresh food made out back and brought to the table, and every time they accommodated us no problems.

Hockey89

My wife has a shellfish allergy, and there isn't anyplace we've ever gone that is more accommodating than Disney. As others have said be sure to mention it to the server if they don't first. Most of the time the chef will actually come to your table and discuss your options with you. We've gone to Teppan Edo on our last two visits, and the chef has cleaned off the grill and cooked my wife's food first before putting any shrimp or crab on the grill. Have fun!!
I still remember the time at Teppan Edo when a couple wanted no salt on any of the food because of blood pressure.. "Soy sauce was fine"…. Asked the rest of the table if that was ok.. MMMM you know Soy has a ton of salt right?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom