SHDL profits?

IMDREW

Original Poster
Anyone know how SHDL is doing? I’ve been watching the app lately and have seen very short waits for the park. Even soaring isn’t as long anymore. Is the resort operating at a profit atm?

EarthboundChild

From page 4 of:

Operating income at our international parks and resorts was comparable to the prior-year quarter as growth at Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort was offset by a decrease at Shanghai Disney Resort. Operating income growth at Disneyland Paris was due to an increase in average ticket prices while growth at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort was due to higher occupied room nights and attendance growth, partially offset by cost inflation. The decrease at Shanghai Disney Resort was due to lower average ticket prices, partially offset by increased attendance.

It's possible that it's just a slow period in Shanghai in the moment coupled with likely a slower tourism period as Spring break ends in the U.S. (and possibly other countries)

Attendance records will likely be released later this year. Based on the below link they did get 11 million visitors in 2017, which is a very healthy number.

As far as profitability goes, I believe it's been mentioned that Disney does not intend to turn a profit on SHDL for a number of years and is more intent on strengthening the brand in the region.

IMDREW

Original Poster
T
From page 4 of:

Operating income at our international parks and resorts was comparable to the prior-year quarter as growth at Disneyland Paris and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort was offset by a decrease at Shanghai Disney Resort. Operating income growth at Disneyland Paris was due to an increase in average ticket prices while growth at Hong Kong Disneyland Resort was due to higher occupied room nights and attendance growth, partially offset by cost inflation. The decrease at Shanghai Disney Resort was due to lower average ticket prices, partially offset by increased attendance.

It's possible that it's just a slow period in Shanghai in the moment coupled with likely a slower tourism period as Spring break ends in the U.S. (and possibly other countries)

Attendance records will likely be released later this year. Based on the below link they did get 11 million visitors in 2017, which is a very healthy number.

As far as profitability goes, I believe it's been mentioned that Disney does not intend to turn a profit on SHDL for a number of years and is more intent on strengthening the brand in the region.
Thanks!

BrianLo

Actually they mentioned profitability quarterly after its first year of operation. Their original projection wasn’t to see profitability until 2020.

I think the projections were attendance of 8-10 million, but the 11 it’s pretty consistently been sitting around is more robust than assumed. I figure the break even point (since the project is definitely more expensive to run than HKDL) hangs around 10-11 million. HKDL needs attendance more like 7-8 to turn profit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom