Sharing Snorkel Package?

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
I am debating getting the Snorkel Package, one adult one child. We have a 5 yr old who won't snorkel at all and an 8 yr old. Knowing one of us will be with the 5 yr old the whole time we figured only one parent will be able to use the equipment at a time, can we share this? Meaning can my wife go out then trade in her wetsuit for a bigger one for me?

EOD K9

I am debating getting the Snorkel Package, one adult one child. We have a 5 yr old who won't snorkel at all and an 8 yr old. Knowing one of us will be with the 5 yr old the whole time we figured only one parent will be able to use the equipment at a time, can we share this? Meaning can my wife go out then trade in her wetsuit for a bigger one for me?
They have wetsuits? Last time I was there they only had fins, mask, and a snorkel.

Phonedave

Just to add to the info.

Yes, their equipment is not too swift. You are much better off buying your own, the snorkel will be better, and the mask will not leak. If you do buy your own, look for a set with shorty fins or packable fins. Your not swimming against huge currents at Castaway Cay, so no need to try and jam long fins into your suitcase.

Unless something has changed, Castaway Cay requires you to wear a flotation vest. How much you inflate it is up to you, but you need to wear one. Those are free. If you rent equipment it comes with a float vest, but if you have your own equipment, just say you need a vest because you have your own stuff, and they will lend you one.

-dave

ChuckElias

I'm going to assume that you're talking about your day at Castaway Cay, and renting snorkel equipment at Gil's. If that's what you're referring to, then there's no wetsuit in my experience. You get a mask, snorkel, flippers, and flotation vest. Technically, it's probably intended to be used by only one person; but I don't think anyone will care (or even notice) if you take turns.

Club Cooloholic

Original Poster
Thanks Guys, I hope we will be warm enough then. Our cruise is in the middle of January! Maybe have to invest in a spring suit at least. We have equipment, but I was hoping to avoid packing it. Might do as you say and just pack the mask and snorkel at least..

Phonedave

Thanks Guys, I hope we will be warm enough then. Our cruise is in the middle of January! Maybe have to invest in a spring suit at least. We have equipment, but I was hoping to avoid packing it. Might do as you say and just pack the mask and snorkel at least..

It sounds like you have done some snorkling before. In that case, don't be too worried about snorkling at Castaway Cay - it's not that great.

There are some fish, and they did stick some interesting items down there, but for the most part it is pretty barren, and unless you go early in the day, a lot of sand gets kicked up.

-dave

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I did a late January cruise a few years ago and the water temperature is right around fresh water spring level. It is warm enough to where you can get use to it, but cold enough to where you really do not want to get back in if you get out and warm up. A spring suit would have made it much better.

NelleBelle

TOTALLY bring you're own equipment! The equipment they provide is terrible!! We cruised in Feb. and DH, DM, and DSs all felt water was fine. I'm extremely thin with no fat and have to have a shorty wetsuit (2mm), even in the spring/summer if I want to be in the water more than 10 minutes.

I think it will totally depend on how comfortable you are in water if you want a wetsuit. Personally, I only brought mine because most of our excursions were private snorkeling tours and we spent hours in the water snorkeling, otherwise I would not have bothered with packing it and the space it took up and the hassle it was to clean/dry it after using it.

docdebbi

upload_2017-11-6_18-28-36.png

I can't say enough about this little baby. Tribord easy breath, although other companies have started making them too. Our little kids, littlest age 4, had no trouble snorkeling. Requires absolutely NO coordination, you just breathe normally, no inhaled salt water if you bend your head over too far- (has a one way valve) and great seal with no leaking. If you ever plan to snorkel again, get one or two of these, esp for the little kids.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
View attachment 242031

I can't say enough about this little baby. Tribord easy breath, although other companies have started making them too. Our little kids, littlest age 4, had no trouble snorkeling. Requires absolutely NO coordination, you just breathe normally, no inhaled salt water if you bend your head over too far- (has a one way valve) and great seal with no leaking. If you ever plan to snorkel again, get one or two of these, esp for the little kids.
Got one of those for my wife.

She has bad asthma and would have a full on panic attack with even something as simple as a dust mask over her face. She tried snorkeling a few times with a regular mask and snorkel and could never get much further than putting her face in the water before her brain flipped out.

She was finally able to snorkel with one of these. Her brain would still not let her go underwater with it, but she could finally at least enjoy the lagoon at Castaway Cay on our third cruise.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom