Share a Dream Come True Float

tigger248

Inanimate objects can cause accidents. If the sensor broke due to a computer error, normal wear and tear, etc., then it would be the floats fault. The float can't intentionally cause an accident, but they do happen. Some floats may be more prone to accidents just like some cars can be more prone to accidents. Back to the SUV comparison, SUV's are more likely to flip over if a tire blows whereas a car is less likely to flip over if a tire blows. If something is wrong with the float that caused the accident then why risk the same accident happening again? It's just not worth it, no parade float should be more important than human life. I'll admit that I will miss the princess snow globe float in July, but I feel that the safety of the cast members that go out in the heat and perform for us everyday is more important.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
i won't argue that safety is the most important issue here. What I am saying is that some of the folks here are saying they couldn't work with or around that float any longer, and that's just silly. If there had been a history of problems with this float, i.e. design flaws which caused safey issues, durability issues, etc. then I could see taking it out of operation.

Again, I'm not trying to diminish this tragic event, or the subsequent feelings of people as a result of that accident. Rather, I'm addressing the current mindset that seems to be out there that make people take a kneejerk reaction to certain issues.

For example, a lot of folks in the country are very much against SUVs. And please understand, I don't even own one. But because of of safety concerns of some, they feel that suvs shouldn't even exist. And they want them gone sooner rather than later. Yet when it comes to dealing with issues like terrorism, going to war, etc. etc. we're supposed to talk about things for years on end before making any decisions. Well, why then are we supposed to immediately just take something out of operation without so much as looking at ways to make them safer?

I guess what I'm having a problem with is the hypocrisy of these issues.

Pixie Duster

Hennie I do get your point. Seriously it does make sense. The thing is the folks that would not want to work on the float probably feel that it brings back too many memories of Javier. Also, (the first reason is more important) they would feel a little unsafe around the float, especially if it is discovered that there was a malfunction on the float.

tigger248

I also wanted to add that while I also see your point, I can't help but sort of put myself in those cast member's places. I'm a very emotional person and if my best friend, co worker, dance partner, etc. was tragically killed at work because he was run over by a multi-ton vehicle I would have a hard time working with that float again. The float will probably always be a reminder of Javier for those people. I can't imagine having to act happy like nothing happened everyday while working with something that killed my friend. I witnessed a car accident like 5 years ago and I can still see it like yesterday and I'll never forget the woman's face. She even survived so I can't imagine what it would be like to have watched someone die. Plus we don't know what the seen was like. For example the woman in the car accident got glass in her eyes so when I think of it I remember that her eyes were bleeding. So I don't even know if I want to know what those cast members think about when they see the float.

Originally posted by Pixie Duster
See that's where you are wrong. The floats have sensors on them and there are sensors on the parade route. They communicate back and forth as to the distance between the floats and to stop it if there are any obstacles in it's way so it can stop. At least that is how I think it works.

And don't get me started on SUVs... anyway my point is you need to be a little more sensitive to the situation.

Sensors are there to let the main computer that runs the Background Music know when each float enters a different zone. They do not stop the floats if something gets in the way. That's what the drivers and coordinators are for. That is also why cms are so strict about people staying behind the ropes as well as not letting people cross the street during parade.

Now, allow me to step up on my soap box.

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
Again, not trying to be insensitive, but I get frustrated when people try to blame inanimate objects for accidents. Again they aren't people. Cars/floats, etc. respond to direction given by their operator. I've already stated how this is a tragic situation. I'm repsonding to people on this thread who say they couldn't work with or around that float any more. It's not a person. It doesn't know whether you care about working around them or not. But the fact that people try to somehow humanize vehicles is just silly.

No one is blaming an inanimate object for this accident. No on is trying to make the float feel bad for what it did as you imply. While it is still under investigation, it was an accident. How can you lack compassion for those of us still dealing with this tragedy? Javier was a fellow co-worker and friend to so many of us who perform in this parade. There is no limit to the amount of time a person should grieve nor is there an incorrect way to grieve. Even though it is not at fault, that float will always be a painful reminder of what happened. This is no different than someone avoiding the scene of a fatal accident of a loved one. It takes time for those wounds to heal and being forced to place oneself in an painful situation that one is not yet ready for only makes the healing process that much more difficult. That, to me is what is silly.

*Steps down off soap box*

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
sami..

until those people spend one day in these shoes, their opinions about why it happened are of no worth.

Step off your soapbox and get a beer... anyone cast in AK deserves a good beer... or 2... or 20

Tom

Beta Return
I've personally known people who were killed at intersections in my community. Sure, there is a grieving process, but I would never expect the city/town/government to shut down that intersection, or erect a giant memorial, or go to ANY extreme or spend money because of my loss.

You know what they did though? They put in a stop light there. They IMPROVED the safety of that intersection to keep it from happening again. They DID NOT shy away from the actual problem and hide from it, and I drive through the intersection all the time, because I understand that it was a matter of circumstance and of no fault of the intersection. (I also drive an SUV, which gives me an unfair advantage to the people who drive weak little cars).

What I'm saying is pretty much what Hennie is saying, only I'm adding some personal justification. I understand that MANY people were, and still are, grieving the loss of Javier. However, and NO I am not personally involved, I wouldn't expect Disney to take a VERY expensive float out of their parade just because of the loss of my friend.

It was of no fault of the float, it just happened to be the "weapon", just like the intersection was the "weapon" in my scenario. Guns don't kill people, people kill people. Intersections don't kill people, people kill people. Floats don't kill people, people kill people.

I think this is pretty hypocritical since WAY back in the long, long threads on the accident, everyone was saying that they thought the parade should go on, because Javier would have wanted that. I'm pretty sure that he would want the princess float to "go on" as well. His life was lost due to a combination of human errors and circumstance.

Take my comments as absolute NO lack of respect for his life or for any of his friends or family. All deaths are sad, for someone, and i respect that, but I personally believe that as part of the healthy grieving process, the float should resume operation. It's part of the healing process, and eventually, everyone affected will be more comfortable with it. SImply use the float as an ongoing momento of Javier, rather than thinking of it as a weapon, or death-trap, or something else sinister.

Ok, I guess that was my soapbox - I'm done. And please, don't step down a level and start telling me that "you don't know how it feels" or "you don't know what we're going thru" or "you have no respect" - that's just absurd.

:)

kanepresten

MODERATOR!

Originally posted by HennieBogan1966
Not trying to get anything started here, but I just wanted to say that it's bothersome that WDW would consider removing the float from the parade.

First of all, it's the same as not replacing the WTC in my opinion. I understand the sorrow and hurt that people feel regarding these situations, but we can't continue to shrink from the challenge in life of moving on with life. I know it must hurt those that were close to the cm whose life was tragically taken, but if we always try to forget by removing all things connected with a tragic event, where will it stop?

If someone is lost in a car accident, do we not drive cars anymore?

I understand that the investigation may still be underway, and if that's so, I hope the float returns. If this is about removing the float due to the accident, I have to say that I don't agree.

Im sorry, if there is a moderator reading this, could they get around to deleted this post... i find it very offensive. He succeeds in offending three ery touchy subjects... ppl in car accidents, yes most f the time they dnt like driving or takes them YEARS to get comfortable! THe WTC is a topic that affects the whole nation. and i am personally offended by anyone who can think of only there pleasure when it comes t the parade. Its a very VERY touchy subject
KP

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
First of all Kane, there is this little thing called the first amendment. Just because YOU find something offensive, doesn't mean that my views shouldn't be heard. None of my comments were meant to be offensive, and if you were paying attention, which clearly you were not, you would see where I repeatedly said that my comments weren't meant to diminish the loss of life. And I cited certain examples of hypocrisy in people where tragic events have occured and they took the opposite view as it relates to their reactions to those events.

It is typical that someone would ask for comments such as mine to be quashed. I love living in a country where EVERYONE is entitled to their own views. You clearly do not. Or you wouldn't ask for them to be quashed. Don't read this thread if you don't like the subject material. Move on.

Again, one more time for you kane, it is a truly tragic event. But life must go on. And no, there is no right way to grieve. And there is no time limit to that grieving period. To be sure, I'm not there and can't feel what the cms who knew and loved this person feel. But don't try to tell me that I don't know how it feels to grieve. To assume that I have never lost anyone close to me, or to know the sadness of loss, is both narrowminded and ignorant.

Tom

Beta Return
So very well put, Hennie.

For those of you who want posts removed because they "offend" you, read this:

----------------------------------------------
I'm offended by the thought that someone would want to continue to grieve the loss of a life - geez, it's been a few months already!

I'm offended that someone wants to take a float out of the parade - I really liked that float and don't care what it did - I WANT IT BACK!

I'm offended that people have car accidents - I want all cars banned because they kill people.

I'm offended that people are grieving the WTC still - come on people, it was just a few buildings that fell down and some people that died....geesh!
---------------------------------------------

Now, if you have ANY common sense, you know that I was being sarcastic in the above 4 statements. However, if they were indeed my TRUE opinions, I have the FULL right to state them on here. Some people are offended that they would keep running a float - while others are offended that they'd take it out of the parade.

It's ALL OPINION! it's not fact, it's not OFFENSIVE. There has not been ONE single post in this thread that was actually disrespectful, offensive or blatantly hateful, period. To ask a moderator to remove something YOU DON'T LIKE is the most childish thing I can think of. Waaaa waaaa waaaa, I don't like what he typed so I want someone to take it down because it's ALL ABOUT ME and MY opinions are RIGHT and anything that's against my OPINIONS is WRONG!

Wow, sorry about all that, but MAN, it es me off to see ignorant and immature people who can't handle any idea that is different than their own.

HennieBogan1966

Account Suspended
Thank you for the supportive statement Ed. It's just difficult sometimes to refrain from commenting on what to me seems to be blatant hypocrisy these days. I don't claim to know it all or to alway be right about things. But so many people these days want to take both sides of every issue so as to appear to always be right about everything. That sure makes life easy for them doesn't it?

And when I read some of the comments from people, who obviously are still grieving over the loss of their friend, which I submit must be very difficult, I was struck how some of those comments seemed directed at the fact that somehow the float was a source of pain and that unless it was removed from the parade, that somehow they wouldn't be able to move on or to work on or around that float.

I liken it to saying that the Twin Towers should never be rebuilt, nor a memorial built, because it would be a painful reminder of those events. I submit that we are the strongest culture in the world and that paying tribute to those who have falled is not only honorable, but the right thing to do in these types of situations.

The resilience of the American spirit is unmatched. And while I am sure that a lot of the comments were spurred by grief, I know that these same people, close friends though they may be, will find the strength to carry on with or without this float.

If I may, I lost someone who I worked for serveral years ago in a racing accident. And although we weren't personal friends, I felt a loss none the less. And every race I watch is a reminder of him. But you know what? I still love racing. Loss is a part of life.
And I've lost loved ones I was very close to, as I am sure a lot of you out there have. The strength to carry on is what builds our character. But somehow we do move on. None of my comments weren't meant as disrespectful to the memory of Javier, or to those who actually knew and loved him. Rather they were a discussion of the direction that our society seems to be taking, towards erasing memories that make us sad or remind us of tragic events. I say that there are things in life that some of us will never forget, nor should we. Sometimes remembering those sad times is what gives us the resolve to go on in life, facing all adversity, to persevere and be successful in whatever life brings us.

Thank you again,

Brian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom