Shanghai Park Construction To Start In May

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Below is from TTGLive.com. Seems to back the major construction to start in May and a grand opening in 2015.

Work on Shanghai Disneyland to begin in May

Monday, January 31, 2011

Sophie Griffiths

A new £2.3 billion Disneyland is to be built in Shanghai, according to the city’s mayor.
Han Zheng said construction would begin in May, with hopes for completion in 2014 and a public opening in 2015.

The Shanghai government will own 57% of the project and Disney will own 43%.

Work on the park, which will include a Magic Kingdom, will begin with two new roads to get trucks, and eventually tourists, to and from the site.

TP2000

Al Lutz of Miceage.com fame has an interesting item up today on the front page of Miceage about an opening ceremony for Shanghai in early April!

ifyoucandream

I'm excited about Shanghai, don't get me wrong. But it seems as though Hong Kong Disneyland just opened about 6 years ago! I'm curious as to what the logic is behind opening another park in China so soon after HKDL. I know that it will be about a 10 year difference between the two parks' opening, but I'm still curious about it.

cheezbat

I'm excited about Shanghai, don't get me wrong. But it seems as though Hong Kong Disneyland just opened about 6 years ago! I'm curious as to what the logic is behind opening another park in China so soon after HKDL. I know that it will be about a 10 year difference between the two parks' opening, but I'm still curious about it.

By the time it opens Hong Kong Disneyland will be 10 years old...and there's over 1 billion people in China...plenty of soon to be guests to tap into!

I too am pretty interested in Shanghai. WAY more interested than Hong Kong at it's opening. Looks like they are going to start this park out right!

ChrisFL

Premium Member

Because Hong Kong Chinese and mainland Chinese near Shanghai are very different...almost completely different markets. They don't even speak the same language.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster

Also some of the things Disney is allowed to do by the Government of Hong Kong because of the Disneyland there can not be done on the mainland. The big one is getting more Disney into the TV and movie markets on the mainland.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Looks like the final approve from the government has now happened.

By China Bureau
SHANGHAI (MarketWatch) -- China has approved CNY24.5 billion ($3.7 billion) for investment in the first phase of the Disneyland theme park planned for Shanghai, the Shanghai Securities News reported Monday, citing the city's mayor, Han Zheng.
In November, Walt Disney Co. signed an agreement with a company backed by the Shanghai municipal government to build the long-planned theme park, which will be one of the largest-ever foreign investments in China.
The two parties are doing preliminary work on the park now, the Shanghai Securities News report cited Han as saying.
The Shanghai theme park will be Disney's fourth outside the U.S., after Paris, Tokyo and Hong Kong.

cheezbat

Great! Now that they've gotten that far, I think it's time to show the world some concept artwork for this place! The fans wanna see!

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Here is some more news from Shanghai:

Disneyland plan unveiled
2011-03-09 08:14
<!--enpcontent-->A BLUEPRINT of Shanghai Disneyland, the first Disneyland on China's mainland, was made public yesterday.

The planned area covers 7 square kilometers, with the location of the theme park, hotels and parking areas clearly marked.

Two Metro lines, Line 2 and Line 11, will converge at the area. Line 11 is included in the project's first phase while the Line 2 stretch will be introduced later. They will share a station inside the area, according to the plan.

The 24.5 billion yuan (US$3.73 billion) phase 1 will cover 3.9 square kilometers, while the rest is listed as reserved land for future development.

Four plots in the phase one project are marked as hotel compounds, but the plan doesn't specify how many hotels it will contain. Two hotel compounds will be built by the southern side of the inner lake.

The amusement facilities and the inner lake are separated by support facilities including a parking lot, a hotel and recreational facilities.

Water will be a prominent feature of the amusement park. A river, about 10 kilometers long and 60 meters wide, is being created around the park area and a 0.39-square-kilometer lake will be inside.

The theme park is close to the Zhangjiang High-Tech Park, Kangqiao Industry Zone and the International Medical Zone, according to the blueprint.

The park will have two main entrance boulevards - Xiupu Road will lead to the western entrance and Liufeng Road to the southern entrance.

The theme park, in the southeast of Shanghai, is about 21 kilometers from People's Square, 18km from Lujiazui, 12km from Pudong International Airport and 30km from the Hongqiao transport hub.

People who wish to comment on the plans can do so at the Pudong New Area branch of the Shanghai Urban Planning, Land and Resources Administration Bureau.

The first phase of the amusement park in the Pudong New Area is expected to attract 7.3 million visitors a year when it opens in 2015.

It will be Disney's first theme park on the Chinese mainland and the third in Asia after Tokyo and Hong Kong.

The city government regards the project as an important step in its bid to build the city into a world-class tourist destination in the next five years.
<!--/enpcontent-->
Source:Shanghai Daily

Lee

Adventurer
A couple notes...
April is the target for the full announcement.

The park is going to be quite....different...than what we are used to.

Main St? We don't need no stinkin' Main St....

The indoor Tron coaster does appear to be on the presentation art, in the Tomorrowland-ish area. (On the left side as you enter this park.)

Areas are being left for future expansion of the park. One area is earmarked for a version of Everest.

cheezbat

A couple notes...
April is the target for the full announcement.

The park is going to be quite....different...than what we are used to.

Main St? We don't need no stinkin' Main St....

The indoor Tron coaster does appear to be on the presentation art, in the Tomorrowland-ish area. (On the left side as you enter this park.)

Areas are being left for future expansion of the park. One area is earmarked for a version of Everest.

Wait a minute...Shanghai is getting an EVEREST? Man, original Disneyland fans always fight for them to never clone the Matterhorn to have a unique attraction exclusive to DL...yet pretty much everything that's big and built for WDW gets cloned elsewhere. :mad:

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Wait a minute...Shanghai is getting an EVEREST? Man, original Disneyland fans always fight for them to never clone the Matterhorn to have a unique attraction exclusive to DL...yet pretty much everything that's big and built for WDW gets cloned elsewhere. :mad:

I have never seen a problem with rides being cloned in Shanghai or Hong Kong with the US parks. How many people are really going to be going to these parks from the US. I know a few over the top Disney fans like me will be going, but it can not be to many. I hope there are some great rides designed for Shanghai that can be cloned to Walt Disney World.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Found this on line on the Forbes web site. This is what I have said about Shanghai Disneyland from day one, Disney interest in this park as more to do with getting Disney onto TV on the mainland than building the park itself. Shanghai wants the park and Disney wants to reach out to a billion people on the mainland. Below is quote from Forbes

Disney’s plans are ambitious. Shanghai Disney will be large enough to rival its flagship attraction Walt Disney World in Orlando, which brinigs in over 40 million visitors to each year. The company’s ultimate goal is to increase demand among Disney entertainment products for mainland Chinese. Right now, that is not easy because there are laws that restrict foreign media, Disney’s brand-builder. There is no Disney Channel in mainland China, only in Hong Kong via cable. China protects that market. It has its own brand of home grown entertainment, expected to double in size over the next five years, according to the Ministry of Culture this week.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have never seen a problem with rides being cloned in Shanghai or Hong Kong with the US parks. How many people are really going to be going to these parks from the US. I know a few over the top Disney fans like me will be going, but it can not be to many. I hope there are some great rides designed for Shanghai that can be cloned to Walt Disney World.

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is.

Some will complain that Shanghai will be too different from the original forumla for Disneyland parks, and some will complain there's too much that's similar...and most will never go there to visit anyway!

I fully plan to go there in a few years :D

cheezbat

Agreed, I don't see what the big deal is.

Some will complain that Shanghai will be too different from the original forumla for Disneyland parks, and some will complain there's too much that's similar...and most will never go there to visit anyway!

I fully plan to go there in a few years :D

I like to see similarities...so ya know it's a true Disney park...but I also look forward to differences...things that really make it worth visiting all the resorts - which i hope i happen to do in the coming years.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
Original Poster
Here is a map that was in Shanghai paper:

Shanghai-Disneyland-Map.jpg

GrumpyFan

Magic Kingdom, Epcot & Animal Kingdom?

I'm not sure if this is true or not, but USA Today, had the following comments about the new park.

Attention Disney fans: New details have emerged about the Shanghai Disneyland theme park, construction on which is reported to commence as early as May.The park's $3.7 billion Phase I will cover 2.7 square miles. Plans indicate lots of water features, including an interior lake and a six-mile "river" surrounding the park. The project will consist of three theme parks: Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom, according to a Chinese government statement released earlier this month.
The park, reportedly opening in 2015, will be southeast of Shanghai, just 13 miles from the city's People's Square.

Is that true? Are they planning to clone WDW with everything except DHS? Of course, now 2.7 miles hardly seems like enough space for all 3 of those parks, unless they're back to back. So, I guess it won't be a complete clone. If they are building an Epcot clone, I wonder if they will be World Showcase as well?

Here's the link to the full article:
http://travel.usatoday.com/destinat...ar-craft-theme-parks-are-china-bound/148545/1

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom