Shades of Green vs Port Orleans (Help)

JimboG

Hello all,

After I received my Military discount for our rooms at Port Orleans, I am in my final comparison before committing and just waiting until July 2017 to go. Can anyone tell me which is best? Shades of Green says that their rooms are compatible to deluxe rooms as far as space, but what about other perks? Like park entrance (early, late)? What about distance to catch transportation to the parks? And any other comparison that can help us decide which is best. Calculating money there is about $300.00 difference so for 3 rooms and staying 5 days this is not a factor.

Any help and ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Jim

JimboG

Original Poster
No, I have never been to Disney at all. I am going 9-14 July 2017. I have another post about asking when the 2017 military discounts would be available, and they were posted late Wednesday and our travel agent at Fort Knox gave me my updated reservation information yesterday afternoon. Thanks

Upvote 0

Figgy1

Premium Member
You can walk to the Polynesian from Shades of Green, and take the monorail to the parks, which means you will rely less on Disney Bus transportation. For that reason alone, I would prefer Shades of Green.
^^^^^^This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it was so easy to get around from there! We walked to Poly for early morning transport only about a 5 minute walk to the monorail or bus at Poly. The bus back to SOG is for only SOG they check resort ID so the bus was never packed even at park close. The rooms were huge 2 queen beds and a pull out in standard room. You get EMH so even with being able to do FP at 30 days we got everything we needed for early August. The pools were both fun but not packed. Noise level it was very quiet. Food prices were cheaper but we didn't eat there due to having so many places on our bucket list. Evergreen's bar was a nice quiet place with a decent selection and 1/2 of anything else on property. I would not hesitate to stay there again. The grounds were both beautiful and peaceful.
IMG_0021.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0027.JPG
IMG_0057.JPG
IMG_0058.JPG
In fact next time we go it will be SOG unless we can swing a deluxe.

Upvote 0

JimboG

Original Poster
^^^^^^This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG it was so easy to get around from there! We walked to Poly for early morning transport only about a 5 minute walk to the monorail or bus at Poly. The bus back to SOG is for only SOG they check resort ID so the bus was never packed even at park close. The rooms were huge 2 queen beds and a pull out in standard room. You get EMH so even with being able to do FP at 30 days we got everything we needed for early August. The pools were both fun but not packed. Noise level it was very quiet. Food prices were cheaper but we didn't eat there due to having so many places on our bucket list. Evergreen's bar was a nice quiet place with a decent selection and 1/2 of anything else on property. I would not hesitate to stay there again. The grounds were both beautiful and peaceful.View attachment 166060 View attachment 166061 View attachment 166062 View attachment 166064 View attachment 166070 In fact next time we go it will be SOG unless we can swing a deluxe.

Looks Great!!! So, instead of being able to make dining reservations 180 days in advance, and FastPass selection 60 days prior to arrival, EVERYTHING is 30 Days?

Thanks

Upvote 0

WDWDreamer4

We have also stayed at SOG once and by far was the best resort we have stayed at on property. The rooms are large, with queen beds, and the staff were awesome! I would highly recommend staying SOG. The buses were great as they were only for SOG. And the ability to walk to the Polynesian was cool, but we really never needed to as the buses were so good.

Upvote 0

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
We loved our stay at SoG. Since the Poly was such a short walk, we ended most days at the Tambu Lounge, and walked back. Beautiful resort. Highly recommended over Port Orleans.

If you do have trouble with a few FP+ at 30 days, please remember that you can get to a park right at rope drop and get on the most popular rides with minimal wait. Works very well, and then you can schedule the other stuff for later on in the day, or in the evening.

Upvote 0

PineapplePrincess

I really like Shades of Green. The pros IMO:
The buses have a schedule and run on time ( don't be late or you'll miss it)
The rooms are huge
Starbucks in the resort
Relaxed atmosphere
Walking distance to Poly or catch the Shady Shuttle if you're lucky
EMH
Cons:
No Magical Express
Not a strong Disney theme
Side note: I haven't stayed there since they've redone the main pool, but it looks really nice

Upvote 0

tractor tipper

I really like Shades of Green. The pros IMO:
The buses have a schedule and run on time ( don't be late or you'll miss it)
The rooms are huge
Starbucks in the resort
Relaxed atmosphere
Walking distance to Poly or catch the Shady Shuttle if you're lucky
EMH
Cons:
No Magical Express
Not a strong Disney theme
Side note: I haven't stayed there since they've redone the main pool, but it looks really nice
Curious question: anyone know why no Magical Express?

Upvote 0

NonnaT

Just an added note, I know OP has made the decision already to stay at SOG...
Everything PPs have said about SOG is so true, huge rooms, really beautiful grounds, great pools. We really enjoyed the spa as well at prices far below GF or any of the other resorts. The buffet was excellent and very very cheap. (In 10 days we ate there twice).
So, enjoy your stay, it's a great vacation destination in it's own right!

Upvote 0

mousehockey37

SOG has some of the largest rooms in Disney (if not THE largest).

A big thing that stood our for me was the buses. Yes, they have their own, but you do have to pay attention to when the last bus leaves your park that you are in. There is no "after hours" bus that will come get you if you miss the last one. Also, the SOG bus stop isn't necessarily the closest some places (if they haven't moved the stops around).

The Shady shuttle is available as long as the weather is good (it's an oversized golf cart that can seat up to 4-6?) and they take you to the edge of the property and you can cross the street and walk in through the Poly to get to the monorail or boat launch.

I will agree that the buses are a little emptier, but your exp. may differ depending on the time of your trip and time of day you are on the bus.
I have not experienced POR, but this is my view from the SOG side.

The food at SOG is excellent as well.

Upvote 0

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
For those who have stayed at SoG before up to April of this year everything has just completed refurbishment. The interior is new,the room fixtures furniture and bedding are all new, the Garden Grill has everything replaced. It's quite nice. We were there just last week for 7 days and will return for Thanksgiving. It's peaceful with no tour groups, a bar/ice cream/coffee pastry shop in the lobby, and they've fixed my major pet peeve wifi.

We mostly use transportation from the Poly since we have to pass by Trader Sams :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom