Seven Seas Lagoon History Help

Da Man

Original Poster
Polynesian and beach construction.jpg

Looking for a little help from the Disney-philes on the forum. The above picture is obviously from the construction of WDW. In the background is the Poly under construction. Here is my questions, though-

What is the large rectangular out-cropping in the foreground? Is this where one of the unbuilt resorts was slated to go? Did it always sit here empty? Does anyone have a photo showing it from various angles?

Also, directly behind the rectangular outcropping is a hump. Google Earth shows that hump as still being built recently for the GF DVC. Was that hump removed at one time?

Google Earth Lagoon.jpg

Here is the Google Earth image for reference.

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Da Man

Original Poster
This was most likely for the planned but never built 'Asian Hotel'. But I don't recall the rectangular outcropping being here by the 80's...

Da Man

Original Poster
I agree. But did this always sit as a bare rectangular outcropping and I just don't recall it, or was it removed for a certain portion of time.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I know back in the day, they had topiaries along the monorail line. I want to say that there used to be a golf course on the line, but I was like 5 or 6 yo when we first went..

Da Man

Original Poster
I know back in the day, they had topiaries along the monorail line. I want to say that there used to be a golf course on the line, but I was like 5 or 6 yo when we first went..

Holy cow does that bring back memories. I seem to also recall a golf course nearby. And on my first visit, I was only 5 or 6. Thanks for the memory jump start.

I would still like to know about the history of that rectangular peninsula.

Cheers

jayhawkmickey

Looking at the google earth view it looks like the Floridian has a rectangular core. From the marked GF cafe locations out into the lagoon, making a right angle on the southeast corner. The corner of the marina stops in line with the core and it looks like Narcoossee's wing and the other northern wing were added after this picture was taken. I love these in the works pictures. Awesome post.

Da Man

Original Poster
2010 Lagoon Pic.jpg

Here's more info. The 'hump' seen in the original photo just South of the rectangle from the late 1960's is clearly there, but as seen in this photo from 2010, you can only see a bare outline under the water. So did WDW let it sink due to a lack of need for it?

Here is another satellite photo from 2002.

2002 Lagoon Pic.jpg

Here again you can see the hump again under the water. But what I still want to know is what became of the rectangle between 1969 and when the Floridian went in...

Have a good Easter evening all.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
The rectangular plot of land sat there unused until the GF was built.

As far as the hump...it's a possibility that the wave machine eroded much of the hump before the machine was disconnected for good because of beach erosion.

The Empress Lilly

The rectangular plot of land sat there unused until the GF was built.
I too remember that plot just sitting there empty. I think it was just empty and plain. No animals, these were all on the other side of the lagoon.

Asian%20Resort%203.gif

When I first started going to WDW in the early eighties I always wondered how this rectangular plot came to be. Little did I realise back then that the whole of SSL was man-made...

Imagineering-Disney_WDW-MK-Construction_69-72_640.jpg

Cosmic Commando

If you didn't know about the Asian, you may want to google the Persian and Venetian, too!

P.S.- And for Bay Lake bonus credit: Buffalo Junction/Fort Wilderness Junction.

Da Man

Original Poster
I was always aware of the planned, but never built resorts. My curiousity was more in whether that rectangle had sat dormant for all those years.

As for Buffalo Junction, that one still hits the rumor mill every few years as the next resort. I'm personally surprised though that WDW has let the plot near wilderness lodge on the monorail sit dormant for so long.

The Empress Lilly

I'm personally surprised though that WDW has let the plot near wilderness lodge on the monorail sit dormant for so long.
For once, a site really does seem to be a sinkhole, at least unsuitable for any construction.

Shame, because another monorail loop resort would be awesome. But fortunately too, because I liked SSL much better when it felt like Florida wilderness, instead of build-up Miami Beach. I wouldn't mind at least some bits left unbuild.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom