Seven Dwarf mine train needs some help.

Nubs70

This. Oh, and I guess I'm an idiot too for using my phone to look at wait times for other rides, look at the weather reports, or to check my texts to make sure my friends haven't sent any important information about our cat, whom they were feeding while we were gone.

I also accepted a job offer while I was at Disney. I guess I should have avoided that phone call and possibly missed out on a great career opportunity.

I do agree that some people should scale back their phone use and try to focus on enjoying their vacation, but when I see someone looking at their phone I usually can't tell what they are seeing. Seems a little unfair to judge with that little information.
But what is sad is seeing a family of four sitting down for lunch at Harbor house. Not a word being spoken with all four buried in their own device.

cw1982

But what is sad is seeing a family of four sitting down for lunch at Harbor house. Not a word being spoken with all four buried in their own device.

Very true. I made a point to limit my phone use as much as possible on our trip. I can stay on Facebook for hours from home... no need to pay money to do it at Disney ;) that's why I included the last part of my post. Some do need to put the phone down and focus on the people and environment they paid so much for the time to enjoy. But when waiting in line for a ride? Nothing wrong with taking a minute to use the phone for logical reasons for a few minutes.

MOXOMUMD

That's when I become REALLY wide.

Feet spread apart far enough to trip those trying to pass me in line, elbows out to stick in your gut as you try to cut in line....

I HATE line jumpers and I will not move out of their way....they can crawl between my legs if they really want to pass me.
The Incredible Unkadug, don't make him angry, you won't like him when he's angry...

kinghenry

The whole WDW resort needs some help. So many people here focused on what is wrong with WDW resort when universal is making history with Diagon Alley.

LWB

Having stood in queues with two little ones (often in the summer heat), I like the idea of an interactive queue and think it can be helpful. When there's nothing interactive and it's just a line, you can pass the time by asking questions about "Who was your favorite character to meet?" "What has been your favorite ride today?" etc but after you get through those discussions in one line, ride something, then find yourself in another long line- it gets harder to pass the time! It definitely helps to have something to do.

However, I think the shift of improving queues should definitely consider what keeps the line moving, not just what is a cool new interactive feature. There are plenty of times my kids get distracted and don't immediately move when the line moves. I nudge them and tell them they've got to keep moving and if they don't immediately go, I motion for the people behind us to go around us. (Even though I agree the ultimate wait time likely won't change, I know it's got to be frustrating to see someone just stand there and not move when the line moves!) I think a good example in somebody's post earlier was the honey wall at Winnie the Pooh - it's fun, it's engaging, and it still keeps the line moving.

sweetnsalty

Yes I am sure that family is really cares what you think? Seriously what is with the judgment? We are a very interactive family and then we have our moments when we need our down time. I can think that happened maybe 2x on our vacay when everyone's head was in a phone. Would you judge as much if someone was looking at their camera? Half the time that is what we are doing. Looking at pictures we took with our iPhones!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Yes I am sure that family is really cares what you think? Seriously what is with the judgment? We are a very interactive family and then we have our moments when we need our down time. I can think that happened maybe 2x on our vacay when everyone's head was in a phone. Would you judge as much if someone was looking at their camera? Half the time that is what we are doing. Looking at pictures we took with our iPhones!
As if the picture from your iPhone is any good anyway.

Tom Morrow

Anybody who visits a place like Disneyland or WDW or Universal and can't leave their phone off is an absolute effing MORON!!!!
See, I hope people don't see me and think this. I am on my phone a lot in queues and such, but its because I'm there very often anyway, and I like to take photos and instagram them and such. Yeah I know it's trendy, but I enjoy sharing the park experience with others. I agree though, if its your first time there, or you're not a frequent visitor, put away your phone!

As if the picture from your iPhone is any good anyway.
Hey now! I take fine pictures with just my iPhone (and a $1.99 camera app with more features)! Yeah, its not going to have the quality of a DSLR, but if you know what you're doing with it, it's at least as good as a standard point-and-shoot.

Mouse_Trap

I couldn't really tell if the cottage scene was working because of the glare and I was also busy looking around like a kid in a candy store. I was there on the 7th. Didn't notice the wear and tear in the line, but I have had to pull a CM aside before in TSMM and rat out some pre-teen that was peeling the paper off of the crayons. But one thing that REALLY ticked me off while waiting in line for an hour and half to get on the mine train was the abundance of kids and few adults that "reconnected" with their party that was practically boarding the train while they rushed through the queue to catch up. One or two that's one thing, but there were at least 12 people who came through the line like that and most of them acted like you (the person who actually waited in line) were destroying their magic by not moving out of the way fast enough. The look on my face as I glared at them probably didn't help.......

Block their way, making them ask you to move. Then I ask them are they trying to queue jump and if so would they like to speak to a CM about why I'm not letting them pass.

It's a behaviour I absolutely detest and will do anything possible to prevent it.

To be honest though I have found it much more a problem at DL and CA then WDW but still an issue there too.

If you want to ride together, you queue together.
The only possible reason I could think of why you need to leave the queue and rejoin is if you have a small child who needs the toilet or something......but if you leave the queue - then the odds are that I probably saw you go past me already when you left the queue......strangely, that's not something I've ever seen happen.

cw1982

The only possible reason I could think of why you need to leave the queue and rejoin is if you have a small child who needs the toilet or something......but if you leave the queue - then the odds are that I probably saw you go past me already when you left the queue......strangely, that's not something I've ever seen happen.

FWIW, this is actually something I saw happen quite a bit two weeks ago, and I only saw it happen for 7DMT, probably because it's the only line I got into that was more than a 20 minute wait lol. CM's were definitely allowing it, too, because I overheard many a discussion about it. It was always due to small children needing toilets (or at least that was the only discussion I overheard, and I heard it / saw it in action several times over the span of 30 minutes or so).

Mouse_Trap

FWIW, this is actually something I saw happen quite a bit two weeks ago, and I only saw it happen for 7DMT, probably because it's the only line I got into that was more than a 20 minute wait lol. CM's were definitely allowing it, too, because I overheard many a discussion about it. It was always due to small children needing toilets (or at least that was the only discussion I overheard, and I heard it / saw it in action several times over the span of 30 minutes or so).

Do you mean you actually saw people leaving the line? Or just people trying to queue jump?

Sorry, imo if you can't wait 30 minutes without needing to leave for the toilet then there is a problem - even with young kids. Take a few minutes and take them to the toilet before you join the queue.

I would be really annoyed it I noticed CMs actually allowing that. Doesn't it go against Disney policy?

cw1982

Do you mean you actually saw people leaving the line? Or just people trying to queue jump?

Sorry, imo if you can't wait 30 minutes without needing to leave for the toilet then there is a problem - even with young kids. Take a few minutes and take them to the toilet before you join the queue.

I would be really annoyed it I noticed CMs actually allowing that. Doesn't it go against Disney policy?

Well, I heard CM's talking to parents about this when we were getting in the queue, and I saw people getting back in line a few times during that 30 minutes before we got kicked out of line because the ride went down. The posted wait was 65 minutes when we got in line, so no telling how long those people had been waiting. If they were ahead of us, it had to have been more than 30 minutes (not defending them, just providing detail). One of the guys who was just ahead of us said that the mom had left the line because the kid had to go, and that the father was holding their place (not that exact scenario each time, but you get the idea...). Like I said, it happened a few times, and each time the guys in front of us were able to confirm that those people had already been in line.

Not saying I agree with it, because I too think parents should make sure their kids don't need to go before they get in that kind of line. However, I know that kids are often less than predictable on this front, and I can't see it being completely against Disney policy, because otherwise what would families with kids have done while waiting five hours to meet Anna and Elsa when those waits were at their worst? What little kid can be expected to wait that long? I'm not sure what the answer to that one is, just throwing it out there lol.

Last edited:

InsiderImagine

I highly doubt Snow White and Dopey are there biggest issues.

Why don't you ask engineering why when a fire was detected, evacuation lights automatically turned on and left people in the ride?
Why don't you ask engineering why the trains kept stopping by the cottage when it rained? (which was just fixed thanks to an air pump issue).

The safety of guests is engineering main issue. There is a lot more than what is going on behind the scenes on numerous attractions. Not completely siding with Disney on this one, but this is new technology a lot of people are just starting to figure out how to get it to work. If its still down in a few months, then complain.

HRHPrincessAriel

do you have/had little kids?

I didn't do the above but I could/can see the need with a newly potty trained one.

I made sure she went before we got in a line as well as multiple other times. You can lead those little horses to water but you can't always make them drink. When they gotta go they gotta go. The amount of water she was drinking was out of control. She NEVER pees during naps but did twice because of the amount of liquid her little body needed.

I think that's the only time I wouldn't get huffy with a que jumper. If they were in line and hadtogorightthen I wouldn't blink an eye at mom or dad taking and coming back.

Last edited:

DisneyNorthFan

I could take or leave the interactive queue elements ... but I really don't see how it adds to the length of anyone's wait. Sure, there can be a brief back-up around the interactive element, but as long as its not too close to the boarding area, there's plenty of time to "catch-up" to the waiting point. I'm sure there are folks that will abuse the opportunity to interact with the elements by spending too much time there, but I also think that they would probably be fine with being passed up after a reasonable amount of time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom