Seuss Sky Trolley not handicapped accessible

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
I know they have ramps that go up and down to and from the loading dock, and I know there are elevators as well.

That's all fine and dandy, but there is a good 1.5-2 foot step you have to take to get into the ride vehicle itself from the station. It's easily the biggest required step I've ever seen in a theme park. My dad, who has a hard time walking, had to be carried in and out of the ride vehicle because he couldn't make the step (He went on every single other ride at USF/IOA without a problem). He enjoyed the ride, but that was definately his first and last trip on the ride just because of that single situation.

Is this even legal? Do they have ramps or smaller steps to help people get into the vehicle itself?

kcnole

The law just requires that you have to be able to get into the ride if there's a way to transfer you from the wheelchair to the ride which there is. It also requires wheelchair access to get to the ride, which this does as well.

JT3000

Not being handicapped accessible and being difficult to get into are two different things entirely. By your definition, there are quite a few attractions at both Disney and Universal that aren't accessible. But yes, the Trolley's step is rather large...

kcnole

You can't compare it to the swiss treehouse anyhow, the treehouse was built before the ADA standards went into effect and due to that doesn't have to meet those standards.

DigitalDisney

Original Poster
Valid points. I agree that some rides are worse than others, and both parks are guilty. But that step is just ridiculous.

They should definately have a ramp or steps w/a rail for the last car of each train. They have ramps up to the load/unload area, and they even have an elevator! How hard would it be to build 4 ramps/sets of stairs?

Heck, why isn't the whole station level with (or at least close to) the car's entry point? I know that the original ride design was probably a lot friendlier, but this definately should have been part of the redo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom