Self-Guided Yuletide Tour

WDWFigment

So we had planned on going on the Yuletide tour during our trip over Thanksgiving break. However, the Yuletide tour will not be operating at that point, so we've decided to do a 'self-guided Yuletide tour' on November 20th. It sounds like most resorts should have their decorations up by that date, and I've seen the Travel Channel Holiday Special, so I know some of the bigger things to hit, but I wondered if anyone here had a comprehensive 'plan' they could share for hitting the best holiday decorations.

We will be starting at the Beach Club (as we have breakfast ADRs at Cape May Cafe) and we only have four hours and we will be using Disney transportation, so a well thought out itinerary will be necessary for us (i.e. obviously we'll go to GF, Poly, and Contemporary in succession since they're all on the monorail loop). Anyone have any ideas/can't miss resorts/exact plans to offer? Thanks!

Boray

I too am interested in the "must sees" of the Christmas decor. This will be our first trip during the holidays and our time is considerably shorter than usual, so I would like to make the most of our time. What should we see while there? Other than the special stuff listed on the Disney World web site, what should we not miss? I know about the giant gingerbread house at the GF, but beyond that, I don't know what we have to see.

Anyone have suggestions???? :confused:

Upvote 0

Captain Hank

My recommendation:

While you're in the Epcot resort area, hit the Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk, then hop on a bus to MK. Once at MK, get on the resort monorail and ride around the 7 seas lagoon, stopping at the Contemporary and Poly. Neither does a whole lot for Christmas (disappointingly), so you probably won't spend too much time at either.

Then, continue on to the GF and take your time. Be sure to see the gingerbread house and other decorations. Often, there are fresh roasted chestnuts available for free by the valet area. Then, hop back on the monorail to MK and then take the boat to Wilderness Lodge. They do a really good job, and they're a little out of the way, so it's not as crowded as GF. One night that I was at WL, they had a saxophone group from a local high school come and perform in the lobby below the tree. It was great.

Good luck! :xmas:

Upvote 0

maryt01

christmas decor

grand floridian, WL, beach club, are outstanding. each hotel has a hugh tree and decorations . everyone is unique. oh! ak has a tree with african decor. ASK the CM TO POINT OUT THE EDIBLE VILLAGE OUTSIDE BOMA. WE USUALLY HOTEL HOP FOR 4-5 HOURS TO GET US IN THE CHRISTMAS SPIRIT.

Upvote 0

DisneyMarg

Thanks for the great question, WDWFigment as I have the same one, and for the good advice, Captain Hank.

Do you (or anyone else out there) know about Christmas decorations at Swan and Dolphin? Enough to make a point to visit them, or not? And if so, can you just take the boats from the Boardwalk over?

Finally, what's the scoop on the Yuletide tour? What is it and how much does it cost?

Thanks!! (and Merry Christmas in advance!)

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
My recommendation:

While you're in the Epcot resort area, hit the Yacht/Beach and Boardwalk, then hop on a bus to MK. Once at MK, get on the resort monorail and ride around the 7 seas lagoon, stopping at the Contemporary and Poly. Neither does a whole lot for Christmas (disappointingly), so you probably won't spend too much time at either.

Then, continue on to the GF and take your time. Be sure to see the gingerbread house and other decorations. Often, there are fresh roasted chestnuts available for free by the valet area. Then, hop back on the monorail to MK and then take the boat to Wilderness Lodge. They do a really good job, and they're a little out of the way, so it's not as crowded as GF. One night that I was at WL, they had a saxophone group from a local high school come and perform in the lobby below the tree. It was great.

Good luck! :xmas:

Thank you for this great information. I didn't know there was a boat that went from MK to WL. Is there a foot path from Yacht and Beach Club to BW? I know AKL is worth seeing, what about the resorts over by DtD? Does SSR have anything? OKW? CBR? Port Orleans(es)? Thanks!

Upvote 0

Captain Hank

It's about a 10-15 minute walk from Yacht and Beach to Boardwalk. All of them are connected by a footpath that encircles the lake. I'm afraid that I'm not too sure about most of the rest of the resorts, as I was only able to make it to so many last year. I've heard great things about AKL, and I'd expect Saratoga Springs' decorations to be very nice. Here is a quick (though slightly outdated) overview of some of the resort decorations: http://allearsnet.com/tp/h_decor.htm

You can catch the Wilderness Lodge launch from the dock directly opposite the Train Station.

Upvote 0

Captain Hank

Regarding the Disney's Yultide Fantasy Tour:

Guests will experience the special magic of the holiday season as brought to life at the Walt Disney World® Resort! Disney's Yuletide Fantasy takes Guests on a festive 3 1/2-hour tour of holiday celebrations around the world.

This entertaining program showcases holiday stories and folklore behind the decorations found in the theme parks and resorts. Guests will gain a unique perspective on how colors, textures, architecture, illusions, and attention to detail turn the Walt Disney World Resort into a 47-square-mile holiday wonderland. On the way, they'll also pick up fun facts about the incredible amount of materials, time, and effort it takes to bring Disney's Yuletide Fantasy to life.

Highlights include:
  • Holiday Services -- Step into a Winter Wonderland where Guests experience an up close look at how Cast Members create holiday magic.
  • Epcot® -- The holidays take on an international flair as participants hear about Christmasfest in Germany, the legend of La Befana in Italy, Hanukkah and Kwanzaa at The American Adventure, and O-Shogatsu (New Year) in Japan.
  • Magic Kingdom® Park -- A Currier & Ives-themed Christmas brings the spirit of Santa Claus to life.
  • Disney Resorts -- Guests experience the ultimate in holiday decorations at one of the Disney resort hotels.
To keep the holiday spirit long after Disney's Yuletide Fantasy, Guests will receive a special holiday gift at the conclusion of the program!

Price:
$69.00 for 16 and up
Discounts available for AAA, Disney Visa, Disney Vacation Club and Disney Annual Passholders.

Upvote 0

daliseurat

I took the YULETIDE TOUR several years ago. It was fun, but not worth the money. You can get the same information online and from what I remember, you didn't really get to see anything that you can't see on your own. Everyone here has mentioned the best places to go. Some info that I remember had to do with how the Wilderness Lodge didn't have a budget for Holiday decor, so they rouded up what they could, and sent people out to get natural decor from the woods. So the ornaments were all things from nature. At the MAGIC KINGDOM, look at all the decor on MAIN STREET. At the "cross roads" you will notice that each "corner" has unique garlands representing different sections of america. The tour guide was mainly pointing out stuff like that.

Taking a day to resort hop is lots of fun. Try whatever holiday food you find. Have fun!

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Wilderness Lodge didn't have a budget for Holiday decor, so they rouded up what they could, and sent people out to get natural decor from the woods. So the ornaments were all things from nature.

Maybe that is the themed backstory Disney made up, but I really doubt they just scrounged up stuff from the woods and brought it back to decorate with. Thanks for the input about the tour, though. There are also some reviews of it that are pretty thorough over at MousePlanet, if anyone is considering taking the tour.

Upvote 0

happymom52003

Maybe that is the themed backstory Disney made up, but I really doubt they just scrounged up stuff from the woods and brought it back to decorate with. Thanks for the input about the tour, though. There are also some reviews of it that are pretty thorough over at MousePlanet, if anyone is considering taking the tour.

:lol:That is most definitely a backstory! The WL decorations are amazing...be sure not to miss them. I posted a few pics of them in the Christmas picture thread. The WL is the most "Christmassy", in my opinion. Very cozy.

Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

The Boardwalk hotel usually has an amusement park scene (with santa riding a roller coaster) made completly out of candy, and the Yacht and Beach has the carousel made out of chocolate (I believe). When I went a few years ago, in the Americal Pavilion in Epcot, there was another life size gingerbread house that had people serving hot chocolate and apple cider, etc from inside of it. Not sure if its still there.

Even if the resort doesn't have something "big", the decorations are still awesome. While the Deluxe hotels are nicely decorated, I love the way Pop Century decorated too---giant silver tinsel, silver trees, trees decorated with decade specific toys--it was awesome. I'm sure you won't be dissapointed wherever you end up.

Upvote 0

Eyekimore

The Swan had a cute gingerbread/train thing last year near the pathway that connects the Swan/Dolphin. The Dolphin has an enormous decorated tree in the lobby. Nice- but not Disney style. BTW- you can take the boats over- but it's much faster to walk from the Boardwalk. Just head toward the Atlantic Dance Hall.

Don't forget to look for the Hidden Mickeys in the holiday decorations. Esp at the gingerbread carousel at BC.

I've always enjoyed the CBR at Christmas if only to hear the Christmas music on the steel drums. There's no lobby area near the food court- so there's very little decorations to see other than the store and its merchandise. I'm sure they have a lovely tree- but it's prob. up front at their lobby/check in area.

Upvote 0

WDWFigment

Original Poster
The Swan had a cute gingerbread/train thing last year near the pathway that connects the Swan/Dolphin. The Dolphin has an enormous decorated tree in the lobby. Nice- but not Disney style. BTW- you can take the boats over- but it's much faster to walk from the Boardwalk. Just head toward the Atlantic Dance Hall.

Don't forget to look for the Hidden Mickeys in the holiday decorations. Esp at the gingerbread carousel at BC.

I've always enjoyed the CBR at Christmas if only to hear the Christmas music on the steel drums. There's no lobby area near the food court- so there's very little decorations to see other than the store and its merchandise. I'm sure they have a lovely tree- but it's prob. up front at their lobby/check in area.

I never thought about heading over to the Dolphin and Swan. Maybe we will do that, although it seems sort of "un-Disney".

Your last point brings up a question I will ask in a new thread...

Upvote 0

lscott933

here is how i come around to see the different hotel resorts. i start off eating breakfast at cape may too. then we take the boats around the broadwalk area there. that includes the swan and dolophin hotel too. then once you get done seeing all the resorts around there and get on a bus to the magic kingdom. i take a boat ride over to the wildness lodge then a boat over to the comp hotel. then i take a monorail to see the rest of the resorts. then i get on a bus to downtown disney. i get on the boat there to go to sarasota spring and old key west. then a boat to see port orleans hotels. then i get on a bus too animal kingdom lodge. then if you have time over to animal kingdom to see the tree there and if you have to see a value resort then get a bus there. like most of the time during the day they have all three all star resorts on one bus for awhile then you can see them if you want. i usually stay at pop century so i do have to worry about seeing that. the other two that i make a trip on another day is to caribbean beach and corondo. have a good trip.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom