Selecting Magic Bands and Early Check In

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
This will be our third trip to Disney in 3 years and our first time staying onsite. We had magic bands before but I had purchased them and had them delivered to the hotel. Our trip is in October and I received a package from Disney regarding our trip and it mentions we can select our magic bands and begin check in? We don't leave until October. Why are they asking me to select magic bands and begin my check in now? I'm not even at the point where I can make ADRs haha.

CaptainAmerica

Their goal is to engage with you as early and often in the process as possible. "Starting" check-in at this point isn't much more than updating your credit card on file and setting up a PIN for MagicBand touch-to-pay purchases. The package you received was not triggered by proximity to your upcoming trip, it's triggered when you book the reservation in the first place.

Keep in mind that your old MagicBands will work at touch points in perpetuity. The only features that are affected by the battery (which has a life of approximately two years) are the long-range features, like rides that add your ride photo without the need to tap at a touch point.

If you have a jeweler's screwdriver, you can mix and match the bands from your last trip with the new ones, creating new color combinations. You could put the red puck (officially called an "icon") in a blue band, for example. I'd recommend using the newer puck, since that one will have the freshest battery.

JohnD

This will be our third trip to Disney in 3 years and our first time staying onsite. We had magic bands before but I had purchased them and had them delivered to the hotel. Our trip is in October and I received a package from Disney regarding our trip and it mentions we can select our magic bands and begin check in? We don't leave until October. Why are they asking me to select magic bands and begin my check in now? I'm not even at the point where I can make ADRs haha.

Because they can instantly ask to do those things as soon as you make a reservation via the website. Feel free to choose your new MBs and color or decline them. As far as online check in, yeah, it's pretty much putting your credit card on file. There may not be any choices for room preference yet.

Nottamus

...its so you can pick a color today, and change it 11 times before your trip.

The puck swap out this mentioned above is cool too. We do that every once in awhile...its kinda fun to mix and match.

Having the ability to do check in months before vacation is also one less thing to have to think about in the weeks right before your trip...

BalooChicago

I have a trip coming up. Maybe it should be obvious, but I don’t get the benefit of online check in - do you go right to your room? I like the idea of interacting with a human so I can ask for changes if I’m not happy with where we end up. Any pitfall to not checking in online?

Nottamus

have a trip coming up. Maybe it should be obvious, but I don’t get the benefit of online check in - do you go right to your room? I like the idea of interacting with a human so I can ask for changes if I’m not happy with where we end up. Any pitfall to not checking in online?

We do both most times. We'll check in online, then when we get there, we go to the counter to talk with registration. It just feels 'right.'

They do note that we checked in online, and basically tell us the same thing the web site does...that our room isn't quite ready.
Sometimes its easier to get there, drop our things at bell service, the just head to the bus stop for a park. it all depends on schedule we have, and time we get in.

MichiganDisneyDad4

Their goal is to engage with you as early and often in the process as possible. "Starting" check-in at this point isn't much more than updating your credit card on file and setting up a PIN for MagicBand touch-to-pay purchases. The package you received was not triggered by proximity to your upcoming trip, it's triggered when you book the reservation in the first place.

Keep in mind that your old MagicBands will work at touch points in perpetuity. The only features that are affected by the battery (which has a life of approximately two years) are the long-range features, like rides that add your ride photo without the need to tap at a touch point.

If you have a jeweler's screwdriver, you can mix and match the bands from your last trip with the new ones, creating new color combinations. You could put the red puck (officially called an "icon") in a blue band, for example. I'd recommend using the newer puck, since that one will have the freshest battery.
Dang! It never crossed my mind to do this with the magic bands! Interchanging the colors is a fantastic idea...can't wait to go home and tell the boys!!

CaptainAmerica

Have fun!

2e1mckzv8r711.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom