Seeing River Country Legally

nowsheflies

Original Poster
My question is pretty much exactly what the subject line says. Ever since it was abandoned I've been crazily fascinated with River Country and as an avid urban explorer an abandoned Disney Park is kind of like the Holy Grail for me. But I'd never break any Disney rules or laws so is there anywhere in Fort Wilderness to get a legal peek?

FettFan

Contemporary Resort with binoculars?

The cameraman never looks over to River Country, but you can see Wilderness Lodge, Spaceship Earth, and Journey Into Imagination just fine...

EDIT -- And is that Expedition Everest at 3:55?

AndyS2992

Contemporary Resort with binoculars?

The cameraman never looks over to River Country, but you can see Wilderness Lodge, Spaceship Earth, and Journey Into Imagination just fine...

EDIT -- And is that Expedition Everest at 3:55?

Yep Everest and the Tree of Life :)

kap91

You can also walk over to where they do the backyard BBQ (behind pioneer hall) and look through the fence. That area is the old entrance.

And I didn't tell you this, but the nature trail between ft. Wilderness and wilderness lodge has a branch that leads there as well. Just proceed at your own risk. Security likes to hang out back there.

UofMGuy423

Someone out there has posted pictures of their urban exploration of RC. The whole place is run down and overgrown, but I would think not beyond repair. Who knows. I have great memories at RC as a kid and seeing those pictures really made me sad. What a waste of a water park.

Bairstow

TDO does not allow entrance into the physical park for safety reasons. You can walk by the entrance though. We saw one security guard and he was very friendly. Even talked with us a bit about his time there when RC was open.
Just don't try to be like Adam the Woo!

They're stationing someone there full-time? What a lonely post.

Wonder if they run video surveillance/motion sensors beyond the entrance.

nowsheflies

Original Poster
Like I said I'm NOT going to trespass (although I do love Adam the Woo!) but the Backyard BBQ area and the nature trail sounds promising for maybe a look over or through the fence. Thanks everyone!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There are several YouTube videos of urban explorers filming the remains (besides Adam the Woo).

That would be the only legal way that I know of to see what's left.

Bairstow

I supposedly visited this place as a kid, but I have no memory of it.

Dig this song!

Here's a good video showing it in action.
Check out how radically different a lot of the attractions were from today's water park design (tube slides with multiple slow pools, places where guests drop down into water, activities that must be swum out to to reach, etc.)
Also, looks crowded as all get-out.

To those pondering going today, hey, if THIS kid can do it, can't you?

mitchk

I was at Mickeys BYBBQ in Nov. the restrooms that you use are while at the dinner are the best way to get a close look. I went back there with my video camera, but it was to dark to see anything. I got as far as the lil kid sprinkle area, at least I think that's where I was, I could see the rocks from the one major slide. I got about 75 feet away from it, then a CM, very cool CM, approached me. He said I wasn't allowed back there, I played stupid saying I had no idea what it was, I thought it was part of FT. Wilderness. He said no problem, but your not allowed back here, it used to be a waterpark. I gave him the oh my ghosh look, and that was it. I won't go back there again, neither do I encourage anyone to, you can get in a lot of trouble. If you really want to get a good look at it, rent a sea racer, you can check it out at your own pace from the water. I did that back in 2010!

sjhym333

We have gone behind BYBBQ several times over the past couple of years and like everyone has said the entrance is fenced off but you can get some great views into River Country. We have never seen a CM back there and no one has ever stopped us from looking in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom