News Security scanners begin operation today at Disney Springs

SplashJacket

In the article it said "It isn't clear what has prompted the use of scanners, or how long they will be in position." but it's probably since it's just the soft underbelly of Disney. Why try an attack in theme parks when you can just go to DS. If I remember correctly, the Pulse shooter had scoped out DS before deciding on Pulse.

Edit: Here's a source: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...d-attack-disney-world-prosecutors-say-n860786

Last edited:

LastoneOn

Might also be an excellent environment to test it all out.
People shopping carry a lot of stuff they wouldn't necessarily carry into a park for the day.
People are close to their cars, they can return "prohibited items" instead of some tram ride out into the parking lot.
There is less time pressure to move everyone quickly because its just shopping/dining.
People haven't purchased a ticket that pseudo-guarantees them entrance.
Great place to calibrate, determine thresholds, run through processes and procedures.

MikeyK72

I guess I'm confused...I thought the very first install of these on Disney property was in the parking garages at Disney Springs? I thought they used the garages to pilot them before installing in DHS, AK, and Epcot.

PhilharMagician

Can you carry a concealed handgun at Disney Springs? Florida law allows it, but can or does Disney not allow. If someone were to carry in a pistol with those scanners would be interesting.

DisneyTransport

While I agree with this move, will this affect my beloved walk around DS through Saratoga resort? (I actually haven't been to DS in a few months so i dont know if that walk is already blocked off!)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Can you carry a concealed handgun at Disney Springs? Florida law allows it, but can or does Disney not allow. If someone were to carry in a pistol with those scanners would be interesting.
Florida law allows you to have a gun in your vehicle. Disney policy says you can't carry on their property.

If you have a CHL and are detected carrying at the scanner, you will likely be told to return the handgun to your vehicle (at the very least) or told to leave Disney property (at the very worst).

If you don't have a CHL and they catch you carrying at the scanner, expect to meet an Orange County Sheriff's deputy or two. Oh, and you might want to have your lawyer on speed dial...

Mike730

While I agree with this move, will this affect my beloved walk around DS through Saratoga resort? (I actually haven't been to DS in a few months so i dont know if that walk is already blocked off!)
The walkway is open, but you must walk along the outside of DS to a temperature screening area at the Hotel Plaza Blvd entrance. There are temporary fences to block the entrances along the red path. I imagine this is about to become permanent. The Yellow approximates the temperature screening area. They probably have security here now too.
DS.PNG

DisneyTransport

The walkway is open, but you must walk along the outside of DS to a temperature screening area at the Hotel Plaza Blvd entrance. There are temporary fences to block the entrances along the red path. I imagine this is about to become permanent. The Yellow approximates the temperature screening area. They probably have security here now too.
Yea, they will probably redesign the whole perimeter of DS to reduce the number of access points and funnel people to only a few scanners... I'm curious as to how they are going to do that. I miss 2000-2010 DD, but I dont know if that is a rare opinion!

TrainsOfDisney

I miss 2000-2010 DD, but I dont know if that is a rare opinion!
I miss the vibe of the place before pleasure island closed. It was 3 separate areas that felt unique, and didn’t feel like any other random upscale shopping center.

There have been some amazing improvements and additions though, I don’t miss waiting for a bus at the pleasure island stop thats for sure!

DisneyTransport

You can carry concealed on private property. Florida basically only restricts concealed carry in government buildings, schools, airport terminals.
Well, it doesn't cross my mind at all to leave my guns in my holster or car when visiting the "happiest place on earth," but private property can restrict you and charge you with trespassing if they don't want you carrying concealed. At least that's how I interpret it. I also use common sense here too

PhilharMagician

Well, it doesn't cross my mind at all to leave my guns in my holster or car when visiting the "happiest place on earth," but private property can restrict you and charge you with trespassing if they don't want you carrying concealed. At least that's how I interpret it. I also use common sense here too
Absolutely it's common sense, but Disney Springs has always been open entry with no security not like a gated and secured theme park. I was just throwing out the original question because I imagine that there are always a few people in the crowds at Disney Springs with a concealed weapon in their holster or in their purse. I always find it surprising how many people you would never think carry a gun and actually do. Curious how people think this may be handled.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom