Secrets in WDW

DisneyFL111

Original Poster
I'm going to Disney with my friends in a few weeks after our high school graduation. We're gonna stay at one of the All-Star hotels and go to each park, minus the water parks. They already know me as a Disney fanatic who knows a lot about Disney. I want to be able to show them even the tiniest detail that I probably don't know. Can anyone help me think of things? It can be anything like Hidden Mickeys, how to get the high score on Buzz Lightyear, characters not normally seen in meet & greet, etc. Pretty much anything

PUSH

If you try to force knowledge on them, it's probably going to lead them to disliking the place. Let it come naturally. It's for some people, but some people also won't care for it. Just let the natural progression flow, and it is what it is. Not everybody is going to be a Disney freak.

DarthVader

Sith Lord
Don't worry about knowing every little minutia of detail, but have fun. I want to do the hidden mickey thing with the kids this year, but that's more kid centric.

DisneyFans4Life

Welcome to the forums where apparently bashing an honest question is how we welcome you.

What exactly would you like to know? The Tree of Life at AK is actually made from an oil rig? That Cinderella Castle at MK is just short enough so they don't have to put a blinking red light at the top for FAA regulations? Or that when you're walking up Main Street in MK, you're actually walking slightly up hill as part of forced perspective? There are tons of little secrets all over this forum and the web. If you want to have a lot of information at your disposal, I'd start reading up and then come here to ask any questions you may have.

Bryan Slater

For Buzz hold in trigger and for hidden mickeys they are all over from on signs to buildings. The brown in the middle of the road in Liberty Square is supposed represent trash and poop( back in that time period there was no plumbing so people would throw their poop and trash in middle of the road and the red is supposed to represent the color of dirt from that period). The names on some of the buildings are actually names Walt used to purchase the land so prices of land wouldn't go up in price. There are talking fountains and trash cans. Need more advice just message me. Have a magical time.

Daveeeeed

I'm going to Disney with my friends in a few weeks after our high school graduation. We're gonna stay at one of the All-Star hotels and go to each park, minus the water parks. They already know me as a Disney fanatic who knows a lot about Disney. I want to be able to show them even the tiniest detail that I probably don't know. Can anyone help me think of things? It can be anything like Hidden Mickeys, how to get the high score on Buzz Lightyear, characters not normally seen in meet & greet, etc. Pretty much anything
Youtube is your friend for Buzz & Toy Story Midway Mania, but a few cool secrets I can tell you is this: there is not a single stone brick in Cinderella Castle, it's all concrete. That goes with most rockwork too across Disney World. There is a Dragon in the Animal Kingdom logo, because the original plans were to have animals of the present, past, and mystical. The mystical land was called Beastly Kingdom, which got cancelled due to budget cuts. So the first official presence of a Mythical creature was the Yeti on Expedition Everest, and upcoming Pandora: The World of Avatar. A parking lot is called Unicorn I believe. Epcot was originally planned to be a complete city. Epcot stands for: Experimental Prototype Community (or City) of Tomorrow. Disney's Hollywood Studios will be the only Disney park in the world to change its name three times. Going down main street the windows have Imagineers' name on them.

Bookworm500

Well if you want to cool down and you're in Hollywood studios 2 tips. If you see an umbrella leaning against one of the lamp posts step in front of it and you'll get sprayed. Also across from the great movie ride there is a Coke stand with a big bottle right next to it . It sprays people too.

jmillig

It is so exciting that you all are getting to experience this together! Just let these things come naturally sometimes if you force them, it can be a little frustrating for the people who are just wanting to enjoy the experience. But if you casually let it come it can really enhance the adventure. :)

*As you walk in, if you go to Tony's on the left where a lot of the strollers are parked, on the ground there is a heart with Lady and Tramps paw prints in it.
*Straight ahead from that where you get your ears embroidered, if you pick up the old telephone on the wall you can hear people talking. It is really silly and fun to hear.
*There are only 3 places in MK where Cinderella is shown with her crown (not tiara), see if you can find them ;) (some aren't easy!)
*Cinderella's horse is on Prince Charming Carousel, you'll know it because it has a gold bow on it's tail.
*The cherubs in the ceiling at Be Our Guest are modeled after the children of the ImaginEARS who worked on the project.
*The gargoyles in the stretching room of the Haunted Mansion hiss "get out" as you exit the room.
*There are 7 hidden Jack and Sally's on the Haunted Mansion ride. The first Jack is in the portrait of the aging man. If you look closely right between his eyes you'll see Jack.

That is a nice place to start now haha I could go on forever so let me know if you would like more :) but most importantly just remember to have fun and don't get to caught up in throwing facts at your friends if it is their first time. Chances are they will ask if they truly want to know something, but part of the magic is experiencing it full of wonder.

Wow, I was not expecting to see so much negativity when I opened this thread o_O but anyway, I love these threads about secrets!

I've been a huge Disney fan all my life but only really got into the whole "knowing about Disney World" and appreciating the secrets of it a lot more before our last trip last Summer. I find it so interesting finding out little bits of information that other people don't know, or seeing things that you wouldn't necessarily notice if you didn't know they were there! I think if you know more about the place, you can appreciate the architecture (I dunno if that's the right word? but anyway) and the way its all so thought out so much more.
I don't know half as much as some of the people on this forum, but a few of the pieces of knowledge I wrote down from many sessions of googling are:
  • If you look across the water you can actually see the Tower of Terror from Epcot. Imagineers knew that this would happen when it was being built and couldn't avoid it so they designed it to blend into the colour of the Moroccan Pavilion
  • The key really is under the mat in the waiting area of Muppet Vision
  • You can fit all of DisneyLand into the MK parking lot and still have room left to park cars
  • The bride's ring is in the concrete at the exit of The Haunted Mansion (it's not actually a ring, it's the bottom of a pole that used to be there! it just looks like a ring)

GrumpyDude

Wow, I was not expecting to see so much negativity when I opened this thread o_O but anyway, I love these threads about secrets!

I've been a huge Disney fan all my life but only really got into the whole "knowing about Disney World" and appreciating the secrets of it a lot more before our last trip last Summer. I find it so interesting finding out little bits of information that other people don't know, or seeing things that you wouldn't necessarily notice if you didn't know they were there! I think if you know more about the place, you can appreciate the architecture (I dunno if that's the right word? but anyway) and the way its all so thought out so much more.
I don't know half as much as some of the people on this forum, but a few of the pieces of knowledge I wrote down from many sessions of googling are:
  • If you look across the water you can actually see the Tower of Terror from Epcot. Imagineers knew that this would happen when it was being built and couldn't avoid it so they designed it to blend into the colour of the Moroccan Pavilion
  • The key really is under the mat in the waiting area of Muppet Vision
  • You can fit all of DisneyLand into the MK parking lot and still have room left to park cars
  • The bride's ring is in the concrete at the exit of The Haunted Mansion (it's not actually a ring, it's the bottom of a pole that used to be there! it just looks like a ring)
There is a real ring embedded in the ground behind a garbage can in the entrance queue close the entrance of the building.

_mickey_

There is a real ring embedded in the ground behind a garbage can in the entrance queue close the entrance of the building.

Every time I'm at the Haunted Mansion, I've looked for this ring. After countless years of looking, I have yet to find it. I always thought it was by the exit, no wonder I never found it!

So to be more specific on it's location (so I can finally see it), is it located in the standby queue, the FP queue, where the two queues meet, or outside the gates?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom