Seaworld Shakeup

DarthMileZ

Unfortunately it cant keep up with universal or disney world... good night seaworld!

i predict my visit this year will be the last

matt78

It may be your last visit to SeaWorld but I doubt they will be going anywhere soon. They just have to do their own thing and not worry about Disney and Universal. If Fun Spot can find a way to survive in Orlando so can SeaWorld.

DarthMileZ

FunSpot is at more of an advantage, its in a great location, it doesn't charge that much and it doesnt try to be like the other parks. Seaword tries to group in with Disney and Universal. FunSpot doesnt have the mistreatment of animals stigma either (whether they do or not)

One of the main draws is Shamu, its in danger of losing it.

matt78

As of right now there is no danger of SeaWorld losing the Orcas. If anything I think that they will stop the shows and and turn the stadium area into a bigger tank for them. I don't think SeaWorld is trying to group themselves in with either Disney or Universal anymore either.

DarthMileZ

I agree. Although they have 3 parks all in one area (SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Aquatica), they've never tried to brand themselves as a "resort" destination. And SeaWorld is so unique that it doesn't need to be compared to Disney or Universal to begin with. People don't go just bc they like roller coasters and rides. It's about the animals and you can't get that experience anywhere else besides SeaWorld.

Animal Kingdom!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I think the best move Seaworld could make would be moving away from the "show" aspect of its animals and more to the observation of them. Larger tanks with observation areas.

I don't think they are going to ever shake the stigma of having them in captivity.

matt78

I think the best move Seaworld could make would be moving away from the "show" aspect of its animals and more to the observation of them. Larger tanks with observation areas.

I don't think they are going to ever shake the stigma of having them in captivity.

I've thought for a while now that the best thing they can do is take out the stadium seating and expand the tanks. To help offset the cost they could build a restaurant similar to Shark's Underwater Grill. I think that it would become really popular. They should look to build more rides and provide the largest tanks possible for their animals.

raven

Seaword tries to group in with Disney and Universal.

The only similarity between the 3 companies you've listed are that they are big names. Sea World is not a resort destination like the others.

Animal Kingdom!

DAK was built to build animal-themed attractions with actual animals being a lesser priority. Sea World's aim is to let guests experience animals close-up and interact with them. If you want to see what DAK's animal interactions should be, visit Busch Gardens Tampa.

Tom Morrow

I agree. Although they have 3 parks all in one area (SeaWorld, Discovery Cove, Aquatica), they've never tried to brand themselves as a "resort" destination.
I think this is something that could really help. They've built up and improved the land adjacent to SeaWorld, and its all well landscaped and even in theme with SeaWorld color tones. Just make some of the already existing hotels around it "official" SeaWorld hotels, add some transportation, and viola, SeaWorld Orlando Resort!

matt78

I think this is something that could really help. They've built up and improved the land adjacent to SeaWorld, and its all well landscaped and even in theme with SeaWorld color tones. Just make some of the already existing hotels around it "official" SeaWorld hotels, add some transportation, and viola, SeaWorld Orlando Resort!

I think they should also build a Sesame Place onsite. It would help draw some of the families that go to Legoland.

Donald Razorduck

I'm telling you that a resort that offered aquarium picture windows would be a smash hit.
slide_269488_1875452_free.jpg

Have about 50 of those and glass bottom Tiki huts like those on the real Pacific Islands and roll in the money. All part of a lodge connected to Discovery Cove

BrianV

I'm telling you that a resort that offered aquarium picture windows would be a smash hit.
slide_269488_1875452_free.jpg

Have about 50 of those and glass bottom Tiki huts like those on the real Pacific Islands and roll in the money. All part of a lodge connected to Discovery Cove

How do you keep some lunatic from bringing a drill and destroying the glass? At least at a aquarium you are out in the open.

(I do think this is awesome. I just worry about what could go wrong!)

BrianV

Well this concept isn't new - the Atlantis hotels have a lot of them, and there have been no issues. I guess someone technically could do this but it would essentially be suicide.

Good to know. I had no idea this was done elsewhere. I would love it but it seems like a risk.

celluloid

No more risk than anything else that could damage or hurt people. Actually, probably less. Ever see how thick that glass actually is?

That would take some drill, not just a consumer grade one from Home Depot, and hours, hours, hours, if not days to drill through.

Someone would notice.

But even without that, you can't stop everything. Just like how someone could bring a bomb into a theme park. It COULD happen. Even with Metal Detectors.

ULPO46

Original Poster
I wish SEAS had this vision. I mean it's a shame that the orca shows have to end, but I doubt Seas has a vision of how to survive in the 21st century. I feel as though even with Mako and some other improvements wont be enough. My opinion will be that within my lifetime either SEAS will be sold again, or simply will go bankrupt and be shut down. I get that captivity is a bad thing, and it's funny the same people who say that have pet fish, dogs, and cats, isn't that a little ironic that you are keeping once wild domesticated animals in your home. Without having animals on site, SeaWorld will have to go under a new vision. I remember the days when going to seaworld was a lot more fun with family than universal. Sure they brought Harry and a couple other things but remember how boring Uni used to be. I mean I get it youd see the same killer whale do backflips but that was always so cool to see. I remember on hot days wanting to get soaked in the front row. Amazing how within 10 years peoples minds have changed. I hope that a new vision can be sensed wheter it's in the Hospitality courses or by some young kid like me who still has a passion for having great memories and the spirit that made Disney, Uni, and Seas such fun resorts to visit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom