Seasonal at The Disney Store

maelstrom

Original Poster
My local Disney Store is hiring for the holiday season. I worked at the mall last holiday season and I hated it (I worked at Delia's, if that matters to anyone). Basically, they had me stand up at the door my entire shift (6-8) hours and be the "greeter". I hated that more than words can express. If I apply to the Disney Store and get hired, what are my chances of getting stuck being a "greeter". I haven't noticed that there's really ever a greeter at my Disney Store, but then again, there hasn't been one at Delia's since I left either. :( I wouldn't mind working the cash register (as a matter of fact, I actually like that) or doing shipment. Working for Disney is my dream (!) and working at the Disney Store sounds like a good start. For people who do or have worked at the Disney Store during the holiday season: what can I expect?

Background: I'm 17 and have graduated high school so I can work during the day (preferred). I'm starting college in late January, but that shouldn't affect seasonal. I'm going to WDW December 4-11; would that make them not want to hire me because I'll be gone for a week? What kind of discounts do I get from being a seasonal Disney Store CM?*

*I'm not in it for the discounts, I'd work there even if I got none, I'm just curious.

I've filled out my application already, I just wanted to get some input before I go hand it in. :)

monorail256

In August, I filled out an application at the Disney Store to be a seasonal castmember, nothing more (but wished it was). The store that I work at normally doesn't hire anyone younger than 18, but I'm an exception because every single person in that store somehow knows me.

As you probably could have guessed, I was hired as a seasonal castmember. It really depends on what type of work they assign to you.

One week you may be doing shipment in the back, the next week you might be out on the floor (and when you're out on the floor you are not only a 'greeter', you are also a castmember who uses the register.

At first, I hated the register (and I mean with a PASSION), but now, I really like it. Its a new experiance with every guest. It just takes a while to get used too (and I still am...).

As for you going to WDW, I'm not sure what they'll think. I know those are 'black out' dates where no one is allowed to request off, but since you have had that planned since you filled out your application... it should be no problem. I have a vacation next weekend (and those are black out dates...) and they have no problem letting me go.

Um... what can you expect? Fun, Fun Fun, Work, and MORE Fun. Sure, the first few times you work... you'll really get sick of hearing Hilary Duff and the Disney Channel Circle of Stars every 30 minutes.. but eventually, you'll get used to it and sing and dance along with it... it just comes natural.:lol: Seasonal cast members recieve 20% off all merchandise in the store, except for DVD's and software which is only a 10% discount.

And... heres the funny part... when you work at the Disney Store, don't plan on making that much money. We are the most underpaid people in the world. You're pretty much guaranteed to spend your entire paycheck in the store...

When you are seasonal, they dont guarantee you a job after Jan 17th (that's when my stores cut-off is... it might be different where you live).

My 2nd week on the job (I was the first seasonal hired) everyone liked me, and my attitude about Disney so much my manager, Danielle, hired me part time! So now, I am guaranteed a job.. :D

I hope I've helped you in some way.. and I hope you become part of the magic soon!

monorail256

Here are all the discounts Seasonal Cast Members get (from my boss...)

-20% off WDW, DL, and DS mechandise (non DVD and CD-ROM)
-10% off of DVD and CD-ROM merchandise at WDW, DL, and DS
-She says free enterance for you into the Disney parks (I didn't try this when I went down in September when I was still seasonal)
-Access to Company D, and some backstage areas at Disney, with proper ID and your cast ID card
-20% off of some sit-down resteraunts in WDW (a certain gratituity will be added...I dont remember off the top of my head)
-You get special discounts on tickets for family. Ask your manager for information on prices (I think just recently, cast prices increased a little)

and heres somethin kinda cool

-Since you are under 18, if your parents want to get your discount and you aren't able to be with them, (this is at DS only) give them your cast ID card, and they are allowed to get your discount.

There are more when you become part-time (if you do...).

Once again, GOOD LUCK! :wave:

maelstrom

Original Poster
Originally posted by monorail256
(...)

One week you may be doing shipment in the back, the next week you might be out on the floor (and when you're out on the floor you are not only a 'greeter', you are also a castmember who uses the register.

(...)

As for you going to WDW, I'm not sure what they'll think. I know those are 'black out' dates where no one is allowed to request off, but since you have had that planned since you filled out your application... it should be no problem. I have a vacation next weekend (and those are black out dates...) and they have no problem letting me go.

(...)

When you are seasonal, they dont guarantee you a job after Jan 17th (that's when my stores cut-off is... it might be different where you live).

(...)

I hate being greeter. It's one thing to talk to people in the store. It's another to harass them, like I had to do at Delia's. I'm not cut out for retail, especially not at a busy time like Christmas. My mom practically dragged me to the mall to hand in the application.

Well I've had this vacation planned since the summer, so tough cookies if they have a problem with it. I'd really rather go to WDW for a week then work at the Disney Store.

I really can't even work until January 17th.. school starts on January 20th for me and I need time to prepare (I'm starting college.. hello nervousness!).

I want to work for Disney, but I'm really thinking the Disney Store is not how I should go about it, even if it'd be the easiest. -sigh- I just wish my parents would get off my back about getting a job. They harassed me about finishing high school; I did it. They bugged me about going to college; fine, I applied, I even picked a major. Still not enough. I refuse to go to college and have a job at the same time. I realize a lot of people do it, but I can't devote the time to a job. Alright, I got a bit sidetracked. In any case, any job I would get this season has to end before school starts.

monorail256

Originally posted by maelstrom
Well I've had this vacation planned since the summer, so tough cookies if they have a problem with it. I'd really rather go to WDW for a week then work at the Disney Store.

I really can't even work until January 17th.. school starts on January 20th for me and I need time to prepare (I'm starting college.. hello nervousness!).

Like I said, I only know that my store cuts off on the January 17th. Your store may be different. I can promise you that you would not 'hate' working at the Disney store. Sure it's retail, but... somehow, it's a different kind of retail. You are surrounded with things you love, and that makes your job eaiser (that is, if you like Disney).

And, as far as I know, they shouldn't have a problem letting you have that time off...

JUST THINK! If you get hired, you wont have to do any pre-sales cus there are not going to be any at the DS over the holiday season! And, presales are the WORST thing.

Anytime I did them, I felt like I was bombarding the peeple entering the store... "Hi. Welcome to the Disney Store. Can I help you find anything particular today? .... Just to let you know, right now you can preorder Finding Nemo on Disney DVD and VHS"
...and most of the time you get... "we already pre-ordered it" "we didn't like the movie", or... in a very rare instance "sure.. we'll get it at the register".

For you, I think that working at the Disney Store would be good, especially if you are considering doing the CP when in college.

SnowWhite5669

Go for it... you will love it!! I have worked for Disney Store for 3 years!! In fact I am getting ready for work in a little bit. I get to wear a costume tonight!! SnowWhite of course. Bear in mind Disney has dropped the hiring age to 16 for the Christmas season only, you won't be able to stay on after Christmas unless you are 18 years old.

maelstrom

Original Poster
Originally posted by SnowWhite5669
Go for it... you will love it!! I have worked for Disney Store for 3 years!! In fact I am getting ready for work in a little bit. I get to wear a costume tonight!! SnowWhite of course. Bear in mind Disney has dropped the hiring age to 16 for the Christmas season only, you won't be able to stay on after Christmas unless you are 18 years old.

After the holidays I'll be 18 :) I turn 18 on January 4th :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom