Sci Fi Drive-In

atigs

Original Poster
Hi all! Quick question about reservations for the drive-in...

My friend and I are traveling down in late January and it's a must-do for us to have lunch here during our stay. The day we'll be at Studios, there are no lunchtime reservations available. In your experience, are walk-ups usually doable at this spot? We're thinking of going for a pretty early lunch (11-11:30.) Thoughts? I keep checking the ADR site but there is nothing opening up just yet.

Weather_Lady

It's certainly possible - you never know when someone will cancel. The downside of walk-ups there is that you're more likely to be seated at the picnic tables in the back instead of a "car" booth, but it never hurts to walk up and ask! (Also, it's always a good idea to check for ADRs 24-48 hours before you want to visit -- that's when people who want to avoid the 24-hour cancellation charge are particularly motivated to drop reservations they aren't sure they want to keep.)

In the meantime, I recommend setting up a reservation request on touringplans.com (link below). They have a free restaurant reservation finder tool that checks for you and lets you know if a reservation opens up. (It doesn't make the reservation for you: it just tells you one is available for your desired venue/mealtime/party size. It will include a link you can click on to quickly access the Disney dining reservation page, and then you make the reservation if it's still available.) I've used it successfully in the past for Hoop-Dee-Doo and Be Our Guest reservations. Sometimes it took awhile and several attempts (where I didn't see the message quickly enough to get the reservation and somebody snagged it first), but in the end, it always came through.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

Last edited:

Minnesota disney fan

Hi, OP, we always eat at the Sci Fi, too. When we have been there, walk ups were not being accepted. However, that was early November or early December. That's not a scientific answer, and I hear that they will take walk in's at times for the seats along the walls, not the cars. Hope this helps!

atigs

Original Poster
Hi! I clicked on the link and see that a subscription is necessary for this reservation finder--I tried signing up for a free account but do not see the option.

It's certainly possible - you never know when someone will cancel. The downside of walk-ups there is that you're more likely to be seated at the picnic tables in the back instead of a "car" booth, but it never hurts to walk up and ask! (Also, it's always a good idea to check for ADRs 24-48 hours before you want to visit -- that's when people who want to avoid the 24-hour cancellation charge are particularly motivated to drop reservations they aren't sure they want to keep.)

In the meantime, I recommend setting up a reservation request on touringplans.com (link below). They have a free restaurant reservation finder tool that checks for you and lets you know if a reservation opens up. (It doesn't make the reservation for you: it just tells you one is available for your desired venue/mealtime/party size. It will include a link you can click on to quickly access the Disney dining reservation page, and then you make the reservation if it's still available.) I've used it successfully in the past for Hoop-Dee-Doo and Be Our Guest reservations. Sometimes it took awhile and several attempts (where I didn't see the message quickly enough to get the reservation and somebody snagged it first), but in the end, it always came through.

https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/reservation-finder

StarshipDisney

We once went to Sci-Fi without a reservation in September and waited about 20 minutes for a table (not bad). Going early is a sound idea. Like others say check for ADR availability on a regular basis.

Weather_Lady

Hi! I clicked on the link and see that a subscription is necessary for this reservation finder--I tried signing up for a free account but do not see the option.

They sure do bury the link, but it's there -- just click on "join touringplans" to open up the page that offers subscription options, and then look for the words, "[o]r just get basic access to create personalized touring plans" on the right-hand side of the screen. Click the "basic access" link. It will open up a new page where you can sign up for a touringplans.com account WITHOUT subscribing or paying a fee. :)

Here's a direct link to that page: https://touringplans.com/walt-disney-world/join/basic

Last edited:

jimbojones

I have had to wait for up to an hour even with reservations at scifi and this was just a family of four in late august for dinner at 4pm

DfromATX

During one of our first trips we walked in and got seated very quickly, but that was several years ago. We are wanting to eat there again on our next trip so we will be sure to make reservations.

DisneyFreak

Walk ups are certainly possible. You may have a better chance if you are willing to sit at a table instead of in a car. Also, the earlier you go the better chance you have. I would be there before they open.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
Just go on TouringPlans Reservation finder, it only took one day and I found an 11:40 AM reservation for 1/21/18 that was booked through 2:00PM previously. I absolutely love their site.

Matt in the Hatt

One of my favorites, in April we were walking by around 1 and my wife suggested we see if they are taking walk ins. I was skeptical because usually when we go they are running behind but we were seated in a car table in less than 15 minutes

Bairstow

It's certainly possible - you never know when someone will cancel. The downside of walk-ups there is that you're more likely to be seated at the picnic tables in the back instead of a "car" booth,...

Not necessarily a downside. You lose some of the novelty of the restaurant with the tables, but the car booths are sort of gross (they never seem to be properly cleaned), and the view from the tables is arguably better since you can see the full show scene of the restaurant when all the cars are in front of you.
Can't speak for peak season, but we haven't had any trouble getting walk-up seating at the tables.

gmk3855

We ate here last year and were not that impressed. The food was very good but it was the inside experience that we did not care for. It was was a little too dark inside and unless you get or request a table that you can sit around, you sit in car shaped booths. These were neat to look at but with bigger parties, we had 6, you sit 2 to a row in front of each other. This makes it difficult for the front to talk to the back section.

disneygeek90

We ate here last year and were not that impressed. The food was very good but it was the inside experience that we did not care for. It was was a little too dark inside and unless you get or request a table that you can sit around, you sit in car shaped booths. These were neat to look at but with bigger parties, we had 6, you sit 2 to a row in front of each other. This makes it difficult for the front to talk to the back section.
It's definitely a better atmosphere for groups of 2 if you want any sort of conversation between everyone. I always think it's funny how quiet the place usually is. For a casual Table Service restaurant in Disney, it's nearly silent at times. Everyone watching the movie quietly and intently like it's a real theater :hilarious:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom