School me on the water parks

Furiated

Hi all,

I've never been to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, mainly because the friends and family I usually hit the parks with aren't big on water parks. I did visit River Country twice when I was younger, but haven't been to either of the new ones. My Premier pass runs out this May and with the crazy price hikes I'm likely not getting another one, and probably won't have a WDW AP for a while, and definitely not one that includes the water parks. I am doing a quick solo trip in May before my pass expires, and one of the things I want to do is to hit both water parks while I can still get in for free.

I'm reading up on both parks online but I'd love to hear from people here if they have any advice or tips or any kind of useful info. Things to bring or not bring? Bring a towel or rent one there? Touring strategies? Anything I need to run to first thing at rope drop/park open? Favorite places to eat?

I'm still finalizing my trip schedule, and it might end up that I have to do one of the parks on arrival day, and wouldn't get there until 12pm-1pm, which probably isn't the best time to hit one of the water parks. If I was able to do a full day at one of the parks and a partial day at the other, which water park would people suggest for the full day vs the partial day?

Also, this will be a solo trip, anything specific to a solo trip to the water parks would be helpful. I saw that a couple of the slides have a minimum number of riders, and that if you have less then you will be grouped with other people. Has anyone had this happen, either been put in someone else's group or had people added to your group? Any issues?

Thanks!

CheshireCat12

Hi all,

I've never been to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, mainly because the friends and family I usually hit the parks with aren't big on water parks. I did visit River Country twice when I was younger, but haven't been to either of the new ones. My Premier pass runs out this May and with the crazy price hikes I'm likely not getting another one, and probably won't have a WDW AP for a while, and definitely not one that includes the water parks. I am doing a quick solo trip in May before my pass expires, and one of the things I want to do is to hit both water parks while I can still get in for free.

I'm reading up on both parks online but I'd love to hear from people here if they have any advice or tips or any kind of useful info. Things to bring or not bring? Bring a towel or rent one there? Touring strategies? Anything I need to run to first thing at rope drop/park open? Favorite places to eat?

I'm still finalizing my trip schedule, and it might end up that I have to do one of the parks on arrival day, and wouldn't get there until 12pm-1pm, which probably isn't the best time to hit one of the water parks. If I was able to do a full day at one of the parks and a partial day at the other, which water park would people suggest for the full day vs the partial day?

Also, this will be a solo trip, anything specific to a solo trip to the water parks would be helpful. I saw that a couple of the slides have a minimum number of riders, and that if you have less then you will be grouped with other people. Has anyone had this happen, either been put in someone else's group or had people added to your group? Any issues?

Thanks!

OK, let me see if I can answer everything for you:
1. Bring: sunscreen, flipflops or water shoes (the ground gets HOT), goggles if you use them, MagicBand and cash if you don't like to charge to your room
2. Towels: The last time I was there, I rented towels for $2 each and it was easy to just leave them in a dropoff location when we left. If you are traveling light this will work well for you. If you are driving or packing checked bags and have room, bring your own fluffier towels as these are like hotel room towels, not so big and fluffy.
3. At Blizzard Beach- do Summit Plummet early. Teamboat springs WILL insist that you go down in the raft with other guests, due to the fact that the raft has to be evenly balanced. We did, not a big deal.
4. At Typhoon Lagoon- do Crush n Gusher early if you want to try all three runs
5. Eats- MINI-DONUTS with raspberry sauce dip- these are so good!
6. Full day at Typhoon, half at BB

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Furiated

Original Poster
OK, let me see if I can answer everything for you:
1. Bring: sunscreen, flipflops or water shoes (the ground gets HOT), goggles if you use them, MagicBand and cash if you don't like to charge to your room
2. Towels: The last time I was there, I rented towels for $2 each and it was easy to just leave them in a dropoff location when we left. If you are traveling light this will work well for you. If you are driving or packing checked bags and have room, bring your own fluffier towels as these are like hotel room towels, not so big and fluffy.
3. At Blizzard Beach- do Summit Plummet early. Teamboat springs WILL insist that you go down in the raft with other guests, due to the fact that the raft has to be evenly balanced. We did, not a big deal.
4. At Typhoon Lagoon- do Crush n Gusher early if you want to try all three runs
5. Eats- MINI-DONUTS with raspberry sauce dip- these are so good!
6. Full day at Typhoon, half at BB

Have fun!

This is great, thanks!

I'll be staying on site and using Disney transportation. Definitely going to be picking up a pair of water shoes.

Are the food locations at the water parks set up to use the tap to pay feature of the MagicBands?

Upvote 0

bigorangeandy

The water parks a like the other parks, for best results arrive early. We always find a place to drop stuff on a shady place first, then hit the slides. At Typhoon Lagoon the Shark Reef can get a long line, so if you want to that, earlier is better. The Castaway Creek at TL also is a great way to spend some time, very relaxing, just make sure to wear your sunscreen. On our first trip to Blizzard Beach I did not get any on my feet till later in the day. Sun burned tops of you feet is not anyway to go through the parks, trust me. Have fun and enjoy the sun and fun.

Upvote 0

Disney Shib

We love Typhoon Lagoon and usually pass on Blizzard Beach. Here are a couple of my tips.

1. The locker rentals are $12.00 I believe but when you return the key they give you $5 back or a Typhoon Lagoon hot cup. Worth it if you ask me to bring your own towel and have somewhere safe for your belongings.
2. The mini donuts and chocolate dipping sauce are to die for. Try them!
3. Crush and Gusher... do it. It's pretty cool.
4. There is a fish and shark tank you can snorkle in. It's pretty cool. Check it out.
5. It can get pretty busy there by midmorning. I would recommend trying to get there before 9am and getting Crush & Gusher and the snorkling out of the way.

Upvote 0

tlev

I love both water parks equally. Those both have their good points. We rented a locker, not that expensive and it was not that difficult to get to. At BB Teamboart Springs and Toboggan Racers are out favorites. TL we definitely LOVE Crush-n-Gusher and the Shark Reef (watch out for the tidal wave in the wave pool--that thing is CRAZY!) Just be prepared to do a lot of walking and a lot of stair climbing. As for food other than the mini donuts its nothing special, just your typical burger, chicken fingers and such.

Upvote 0

Furiated

Original Poster
Thanks, this is great info. I'm leaning towards getting a locker, and I'm definitely hearing that the mini donuts are the food to get!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom