Scary Halloween Events

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
Ok so Halloween is far behind us at this point, but I was looking at some footage of Terrorific Nights at Walt Disney Studios Paris, and it made me wonder. Could Disney get away with an event like that at maybe HS? Would this cater to people seeking more scary then silliness or would this be to much for a Disney park? Thoughts?

MarkTwain

Hong Kong Disneyland does some scary walk-through attractions for Halloween too. I thought I remember reading they had one on Main Street and one in Adventureland.

I've never felt inclined to do the Halloween Horror Nights at Uni (don't care for horror movies or haunted houses either) but I'd be curious to see what others say.

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
Hong Kong Disneyland does some scary walk-through attractions for Halloween too. I thought I remember reading they had one on Main Street and one in Adventureland.

I've never felt inclined to do the Halloween Horror Nights at Uni (don't care for horror movies or haunted houses either) but I'd be curious to see what others say.
I've never done HHN but it seems pretty popular and some of their walkthrough seem very well done. Now I don't think Disney should go to far with it, but something more intense then the MK party could probably draw in a whole different crowd.

AndyS2992

Yeah I think it would be good at DHS :)

Just a shame that Disney banned Disneyland Paris from doing it again because it wasn't 'family friendly' and didn't 'fit the Disney brand' lol oh well.

BigHero4

I guess this is just one more thing that separates Uni from WDW. I guess as the father of two young kids, I like the idea of WDW keeping things family friendly. When my kids are older and I want a good scare, I can always check out HHN. There are some trip reports in the forum about folks going to MNSSHP and HHN.

Figmentation

I've done multiple HHNs at Universal, and I'll say they literally put big budget into those haunted walkthroughs.

I don't scare easy, and I jump every time.

If Disney does something like that, Hollywood Studio's would be perfect for it. (It'll give me motivation to even goto the park, as I really only go there for the 4 rides they have and food.)

jloucks

Disney is for families of all ages. So, no, not gonna happen. Frankly I was surprised to see the alien monster from Alien @ Hollywood Studios.

And no, I wouldn't want that. There are places for actual scary, WDW is not it. ...except for ticket prices.

Animaniac93-98

The great thing about Terrorific Nights is that it didn't take away anything from neighbouring Disneyland Park's offerings. They two events co-existed in a way that complimented each other without damaging the intent of either one. Together, they offered a range of actiities for different interests.

Similarily, HKDL does both "scary" and "family" things in the same park without forcing people to experience them all if they don't want to.

The idea that WDW can't have two Halloween events specifically because one may be viewed as "too scary" is BS. Don't want to go, or think it's not right for you? You don't have to. What it does do is add variety to the resort's event line-up and encourages repate visitors to try something new.

jloucks

So what about families where everyone is over the age of 13 or 18?

I said "all ages". Families over 13 are not all ages, they are specific ages. Disney is, and should be, designed for ALL ages, not just some ages. There are plenty of other places young adults can go to be exposed to age specific content. Haunted houses are everywhere. WDW is one place they don't belong. Families of ALL ages only. I don't want to pay, at all, for attractions that are exclusive against anybody at WDW.

...except for height requirements on some rides. And that freakin alien. That is the only thing that mildly freaked out my kids, many years ago.

Don't get me wrong, my kids aren't mamby-pamby sand spilling jitterbugs. I never complained about the alien, I just mental noted it was pushing the limits for an all age attraction. My kids were not phased at all by the Haunted a mansion. My point being I am not freakishly sensitive. Anything that most 4 year olds are ok with, I am ok with. Anything that most 4 year olds aren't ok with, I'm not ok with. Belongs somewhere age specific.

jloucks

The idea that WDW can't have two Halloween events specifically because one may be viewed as "too scary" is BS. Don't want to go, or think it's not right for you? You don't have to. What it does do is add variety to the resort's event line-up and encourages repate visitors to try something new.

Except this venue is an all age venue. THe reverse is also true, if YOU don't like it, YOU go somewhere else. There is plenty of other places for you to go.

DisneyDaver

I love both HHH and MNSSHP ... completely different but both amazing experiences! It would be great it WDW had a HHH style event at DHS. I think it would work and be successful.

Animaniac93-98

Anything that most 4 year olds aren't ok with, I'm not ok with. Belongs somewhere age specific.

So you think they should let 4 year olds in Victoria and Alberts? What about the adults only sections on the Cruise Ships? Should they stop selling alcohol in Epcot? What about the tours that only let people of a certain age attend?

Last edited:

DaBears81

I always thought they could add a more haunting section to the Halloween party on Tom Sawyer Island. It'd be dark and creepy and can only get there by boat so young kids couldn't accendently wonder in. Or more importantly parents not paying attention couldn't wonder in unintentionally. With the caves and some of the other things they have there are already kinda creepy in there own right, adding to it for Halloween seemed natural to me.

FigmentForver96

Original Poster
Well they could do Terrorific Nights and then have "Safe Zones" in the park for younger children. This way if the children decide to go, but get scared, families have a place to take kids without losing their money.

They could use Streets of America for a walkthrough, Tower of Terror, the area next to Rocking Roller Coaster and more. The potential is there but something I cant imagine Disney would ever jump on.

rct247

As much as I would like to see Disney pull something like this off, I think it would not be successful. It would never be as scary as HHN is because of so much of the adult content. It would come off perfect for preteens and that's about it. Why try to create an event to match HHN when they would never be able to truly compete? Disney leaves that craft to Universal just as Universal doesn't have a kid friendly Halloween event.

draybook

Disney isn't the place for "scary"? But it's the place for numerous animated movies in which one or both parents are killed/die? I guess it's one thing to see an uncle lion throw his brother to his stampede death but scary aliens are off limits?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom