Scanners at Entrance Turnstiles

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
I've read bits and pieces about the new [to me anyway] scanners. Can anyone give me information about what it does and how?

The reason I ask is I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to use the scanner properly as a result of disability. I am a multi-lateral amputee. My right hand was amputated mid-palm and thus has no fingers to make a "peace sign" with. My left hand had three toes brought up from my left foot to replace fingers. I'm wondering what it looks for when it scans and whether a scan that doesn't approximate the normal human hand will be accepted? I'm also not sure if I could position my hand consistently from one scan to the next.

Basically, I have three "digits" there, where a thumb and the index and middle fingers would be, but they don't come close to "normal" proportions.

In the event it won't accept what I've got to scan, what do they do then?

I realize this is a rather weird question, my situation is rather unique. I'm comfortable that one way or another, they'll let me in :lookaroun, but I'm intrigued by the process they'll use.

EDIT: Forgot... I'm there a month from today!!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Main Street Jim

All the biometrics does is reads the length and width of your fingers, and assigns a coded value to match up with your tickets. It doesn't read fingerprints like the government wants you to believe...LOL It's just a numerical value/code to match you up with YOUR tickets, and to (hopefully) keep someone else from using your tickets.

Just ask the CM at the turnstiles what they'd like you to do in the event they can't get the biometrics to read properly.

peter11435

MontyMon said:
I've read bits and pieces about the new [to me anyway] scanners. Can anyone give me information about what it does and how?

The reason I ask is I'm not entirely sure I'll be able to use the scanner properly as a result of disability. I am a multi-lateral amputee. My right hand was amputated mid-palm and thus has no fingers to make a "peace sign" with. My left hand had three toes brought up from my left foot to replace fingers. I'm wondering what it looks for when it scans and whether a scan that doesn't approximate the normal human hand will be accepted? I'm also not sure if I could position my hand consistently from one scan to the next.

Basically, I have three "digits" there, where a thumb and the index and middle fingers would be, but they don't come close to "normal" proportions.

In the event it won't accept what I've got to scan, what do they do then?

I realize this is a rather weird question, my situation is rather unique. I'm comfortable that one way or another, they'll let me in :lookaroun, but I'm intrigued by the process they'll use.

To put it simply the scanners measure the size of your fingers and the distance between them. That is where their name biometric comes from. I am not sure how or if at all you would be able to use the system. However that will not be a problem. If for any reason you do not or can not use the scanning system a photo ID that matches the name on your pass will work fine. You have nothing to worry about.

Woody13

They are not required for handicapped people who cannot use the finger scanners. Just have a picture ID with you.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
Thank you

Thanks for the quick replies. I sort of figured that it was a fairly basic biometric [and no, the Gov't doesn't care about your prints, they've got facial-recognition crowd-scanning EVERYWHERE!! :lookaroun]. Hopefully it'll accept what I've got... pulling out photo ID at every gate is gonna annoy the people behind me in line :zipit:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Woody13 said:
Keep your photo ID and your entrance ticket together. :wave:
they're about the same size... just keep your ID with in your ticket sleeve

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
Original Poster
In the Parks
No
mkt said:
they're about the same size... just keep your ID with in your ticket sleeve

I will, I was thinking more of the delay while they check the ID name against the ticket name. People in a hurry to get into a Disney park will notice even if the CM is a speed-reader :lol: [I would... :rolleyes:]

peter11435

MontyMon said:
I will, I was thinking more of the delay while they check the ID name against the ticket name. People in a hurry to get into a Disney park will notice even if the CM is a speed-reader :lol: [I would... :rolleyes:]

Actually I would think it will take less time to match the names than it takes to scan your fingers. Just as long as you have your ID ready to go.

brertigger

fargosteve said:
This is just used for season tickets right? You don't use the finger deal for multiple day tickets do you?
Disney recently changed the policy. You must use the biometrics for ALL tickets (even one day ones).

Woody13

fargosteve said:
This is just used for season tickets right? You don't use the finger deal for multiple day tickets do you?
Now, all tickets fall under this system. So, get your fingers ready or your ID handy. :wave:

peter11435

fargosteve said:
That stinks!! So I can't pre-buy a 7 day no expiration ticket and share with freinds?

You can still pre-buy your pass, but you cant share it with friends. Although techincaly you were never allowed to do that in the past either. They just had no way of enforcing it.

bob0012

MontyMon said:

ID will go a lot faster then most people in line. Although there are signs everywhere on how to use the reader, the average person walks up, and hands the CM their ticket (Even though your supposed to slide it in the slot like all the signs say) and then just look at the CM, or try and push through the turnstyle.

Nansafan

In my experience when it has been really crowded, the CM's are very quick at reviewing any ticket issues. We always get PAP's and when my son grew 5 inches between trips, his fingers didn't match the scanner very well anymore. The CM's were "johnny on the spot" with getting him and those behind us in the park quickly.

ErickainPA

We just got back and at one of the parks we didn't even have to do the finger scan thing at all. We never needed ID's either. Just make sure your tickets are signed though.

steveNJ

We were down in begining of Dec. While they used the biometrics on my wife and I (not on our 4yr old btw), my wife kept switching hands when using the scanner so it was always wrong. The cast members didn't even blink, reset the scanner and let her through with no questions or ID needed.
Also when we went in with the stroller expanded they didn't even make her scan.

peter11435

ErickainNJ said:
We just got back and at one of the parks we didn't even have to do the finger scan thing at all. We never needed ID's either. Just make sure your tickets are signed though.

Sometimes they will not do the finger scans when the parks are very busy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom