Say NO To Genie+ PETITION

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
We feel the same way. With no AP discounts for Genie+ and amongst other dwindling AP perks, we are not renewing. Finally, my husband and I are going to spend our money on European vacations (actually I just want to buy a property and visit it) instead of going to Disney at all. He's a Brit, my cousin is in Germany for the next three years working at an Air Force base, and we have friends all over Europe to visit that we haven't seen in years. We're both employed in the education field, so we have about 8-10 weeks we can travel each summer. I am looking forward to leaving the mouse behind and going for new adventures.
yeah. It's hard. people say "Just don't go"
Well for locals, for those of us who moved here largely to be close to Disney, who worked there, met friends there, met a spouse there, dated there, it's not easy to just "not go." Disney is woven into the fabric of who I am. I'm known for randomly quoting attractions in everyday life and doing Mickey impressions regardless of situation, be it a room with corporate executives from around the globe or around a camp fire with drinks and friends(Mickey gets quite dirty in those situations tho!)

It's just sad for it to get to that point. But as you said, perhaps it's time for new adventures.

eliza61nyc

Well for locals, for those of us who moved here largely to be close to Disney, who worked there, met friends there, met a spouse there, dated there, it's not easy to just "not go." Disney is woven into the fabric of who I am. I'm known for randomly quoting attractions in everyday life and doing Mickey impressions regardless of situation, be it a room with corporate executives from around the globe or around a camp fire with drinks and friends(Mickey gets quite dirty in those situations tho!)

It's just sad for it to get to that point. But as you said, perhaps it's time for new adventures.
this is just my two cents. Disney is one part, a very small part of who you are. I get it, I'm a life long New Yorker, I think my hometown is the greatest thing on the planet since moses parted the red sea but the reality is, it's a big dirty city with serious problems. No matter what my rose colored glasses want to tell me.

What you have to do is realize is that your happiness cannot depend on an entity that does not know who you are nor do they care. People think that Disney's first priority is to make them happy, I assure you it is not.
Some one here liken it to an abusive relationship where your partner keeps causing you pain but you stay.

When I say "don't go", I don't mean it to be condescending or flippant, I recognize that for many folks disney is an integral part of their memories BUT the reality is you really only have two choices. The Disney you fell in love with is gone. end of story. it is not coming back in the forseeable future, maybe with different leadership but for now, we are stuck with who we got. so what do you do wiht that fact.
1) you keep going praying that some miracle will happen and this "boyfriend" starts treating you with respect, there by giving Disney your money and being disappointed and frustrated.
2) you keep your wonderful memories, move on and find some place that brings you joy.

but sorry if you keep going and then complain that Disney is ripping you off, that is not Disney fault at all.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I'm sorry that folks have internalized the Disney Theme Park experience as part of their identity but as eliza61nyc has adroitly pointed out, doing so you have to accept the good with the bad, especially as you have no control over its trajectory. Yes, there are what appear bully pulpits (aka fan sites, customer satisfaction surveys, petitions), but they won't help with the identity portion of your existence. I liken it to a long-suffering Cleveland Browns fan.

scottb411

Just curious if you'd be willing to share which ride you had been on the most in 2019 and about how many times would you say that you went on that ride during the year?

TikibirdLand

this is just my two cents. Disney is one part, a very small part of who you are. I get it, I'm a life long New Yorker, I think my hometown is the greatest thing on the planet since moses parted the red sea but the reality is, it's a big dirty city with serious problems. No matter what my rose colored glasses want to tell me.

What you have to do is realize is that your happiness cannot depend on an entity that does not know who you are nor do they care. People think that Disney's first priority is to make them happy, I assure you it is not.
Some one here liken it to an abusive relationship where your partner keeps causing you pain but you stay.

When I say "don't go", I don't mean it to be condescending or flippant, I recognize that for many folks disney is an integral part of their memories BUT the reality is you really only have two choices. The Disney you fell in love with is gone. end of story. it is not coming back in the forseeable future, maybe with different leadership but for now, we are stuck with who we got. so what do you do wiht that fact.
1) you keep going praying that some miracle will happen and this "boyfriend" starts treating you with respect, there by giving Disney your money and being disappointed and frustrated.
2) you keep your wonderful memories, move on and find some place that brings you joy.

but sorry if you keep going and then complain that Disney is ripping you off, that is not Disney fault at all.
Reminds me of the song sung by Eliza Doolittle, Without You from My Fair Lady:
I shall not feel alone without you
I can stand on my own without you
So go back in your shell
I can do bloody well
Without you

IIRC, she still still returned to Henry Higgins at the close of the movie. So disappointing!

eliza61nyc

Reminds me of the song sung by Eliza Doolittle, Without You from My Fair Lady:
I shall not feel alone without you
I can stand on my own without you
So go back in your shell
I can do bloody well
Without you

IIRC, she still still returned to Henry Higgins at the close of the movie. So disappointing!
Lol, I never read the book it was based on (Pygmalion) but somebody told me in the book she doesn't go back, tells him to shove off saying if she can't have love she'll have independence.

Last edited:

havoc315

I honestly think that once people use it, Genie+ will IMPROVE guest satisfaction, tremendously.
For the modest cost of $15, I suspect it will be a vastly superior experience over FP+. No being limited to a single Tier-1 ride. There should be availability at most rides all day long, so ride Smuggler's run with Genie+ at 9, ride TOT with Genie+ at 10:30, ride RNR with Genie+ at noon, ride TSM with Genie+ at 2, ride Star Tours with Genie+ at 4. Basically, ride almost every attraction with Genie+ and never use a long standby line.

I don't want to downplay the $15 charge too much, but it's not really a massive increase in the overall vacation price.

So, I'm happy to sign the petition in SUPPORT of Genie+!!!! (I'm happy to protest the elimination of DME, the reduction in night time EMH, etc).

Ayla

I honestly think that once people use it, Genie+ will IMPROVE guest satisfaction, tremendously.
For the modest cost of $15, I suspect it will be a vastly superior experience over FP+. No being limited to a single Tier-1 ride. There should be availability at most rides all day long, so ride Smuggler's run with Genie+ at 9, ride TOT with Genie+ at 10:30, ride RNR with Genie+ at noon, ride TSM with Genie+ at 2, ride Star Tours with Genie+ at 4. Basically, ride almost every attraction with Genie+ and never use a long standby line.

I don't want to downplay the $15 charge too much, but it's not really a massive increase in the overall vacation price.

So, I'm happy to sign the petition in SUPPORT of Genie+!!!! (I'm happy to protest the elimination of DME, the reduction in night time EMH, etc).
For the average family of 4 on a 6 day vacation, if they purchase Genie+ every day, it will be an additional $360 plus whatever Individual Attractions they buy, so let's say close to $500. That's a big increase for the majority of families.

havoc315

For the average family of 4 on a 6 day vacation, if they purchase Genie+ every day, it will be an additional $360 plus whatever Individual Attractions they buy, so let's say close to $500. That's a big increase for the majority of families.

First off, they don't have to buy it every day. They don't have to buy it at all. They may very well choose to buy it only certain days.

But let's say they do buy it every day.... $360. Let's say they do add on attractions, $500:

For a 6 day park hopper, assuming the family of 4 is 3 adults and 1 Disney Child, the price of tickets is about $2200. At a minimum, the price of hotel and food is another $2,500.
So, the total price is going from a minimum of $4700 to $5200. If you add on Genie+ every single day, and add on lots of individual attractions every day. (There are only going to be 8 paid attractions).
So looking at a 10% increase in total cost, which isn't huge.

For a family staying at a deluxe resort for 6 nights, the minimum cost for food, hotel, and tickets was already about $6,000 to $7,000, so going up to $6,500 to $7,500 -- About a 8% increase in total cost.

Again, this isn't nothing -- Which is why many families will opt out. And those willing to pay another 7%-10% will get a vastly superior experience where they never have to wait on a significant line again.

GimpYancIent

First off, they don't have to buy it every day. They don't have to buy it at all. They may very well choose to buy it only certain days.

But let's say they do buy it every day.... $360. Let's say they do add on attractions, $500:

For a 6 day park hopper, assuming the family of 4 is 3 adults and 1 Disney Child, the price of tickets is about $2200. At a minimum, the price of hotel and food is another $2,500.
So, the total price is going from a minimum of $4700 to $5200. If you add on Genie+ every single day, and add on lots of individual attractions every day. (There are only going to be 8 paid attractions).
So looking at a 10% increase in total cost, which isn't huge.

For a family staying at a deluxe resort for 6 nights, the minimum cost for food, hotel, and tickets was already about $6,000 to $7,000, so going up to $6,500 to $7,500 -- About a 8% increase in total cost.

Again, this isn't nothing -- Which is why many families will opt out. And those willing to pay another 7%-10% will get a vastly superior experience where they never have to wait on a significant line again.
It's not whether folk's can afford the cost. The pricing for what the guest is receiving, the quality of the product the level of diversion and entertainment has finally gotten to the point, simply put, is not really worth it. The nominal percentages you throw out are the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. A 1% increase is too much.

ImperfectPixie

I just can't get it out of my head that 1) they want us to pay in order to have an easier, more relaxing vacation, and 2) that they've been so neglectful of meeting attendance numbers by upping capacity that any guest-shuffling system is needed in the first place.

LittleBuford

It's not whether folk's can afford the cost. The pricing for what the guest is receiving, the quality of the product the level of diversion and entertainment has finally gotten to the point, simply put, is not really worth it. The nominal percentages you throw out are the proverbial straw that broke the camels back. A 1% increase is too much.
This is very subjective, though. I think the money I pay for my WDW holidays is well worth it.

ETA: That doesn’t mean I like the new system. I was always a big fan of FP+.

havoc315

Certainly the price of a Disney vacation has increased significantly. And in some areas, you get less for your money.
But Genie+ is a place where you’ll get real value for your money.

If total price has gotten to high for a family, they will spend their money elsewhere. Silly to petition Disney with “you’re too expensive! Cut your prices!”

LittleBuford

I feel the same of my past experiences. Going forward I have personally seen and experienced the diminishing value. With the quality dropping I do not see justification to charge more.
I respect your opinion and think that anyone who feels as you do is right to voice their discontent or withhold their dollars from Disney. But for many of us, the value is still very much there.

GimpYancIent

Certainly the price of a Disney vacation has increased significantly. And in some areas, you get less for your money.
But Genie+ is a place where you’ll get real value for your money.

If total price has gotten to high for a family, they will spend their money elsewhere. Silly to petition Disney with “you’re too expensive! Cut your prices!”
Not implementing Genie is not price cutting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom