Saving hockey

Christina

TAC said:
I do. I'm a HUGH lax fan. I wish I was closer to the OLA, WLA, and BCLA, but that would also mean freezing my patooties off in the winter. :D

I have no idea what any of those abbreviatons stand for. None. I mean zero... let me take guess...

OLA= oldpeoples lacrosse assosiation
WLA = Womans lacrosse assosiation
BCLA= Err.. British Columbia lacrosse assosiation.

Yeah, but i don't think any of us even knows the rules or anyone who plays it... So we kindda adopt hockey as the national one...:animwink:

Exactly haha.

ChefTigger

Christina said:
I have no idea what any of those abbreviatons stand for. None. I mean zero... let me take guess...

:lol: :lol: :lol: wow you do know a lot about lacrosse... must not be a sport from the east then:rolleyes:

TAC

Christina said:

Exactly haha.

OLA - Ontario Lacrosse Association
WLA - Western Lacrosse Association
BCLA - British Columbia Lacrosse Association

Wow, I know something about Canada that a Canadian doesn't.

Number_6

ArchiDanDisney said:
Depends, in the Cities with teams the markets are strong, so there are about 30 markets...but no strong unified fan base like the other major sports have.

Not even then, though. I was talking earlier about this with someone and realized that in Boston, for example, back in the 80s hockey was still a major sport to watch and had alot of fan support. The old Boston Garden had a capacity of 14,890(small compared to today's standard arena, but back then...) and filled it pretty much every night for a Bruins home game. The FleetCenter, where they play now has a capacity of 19,600. If they fill even close to half of that it's a good night there. The only time it even approaches capacity at this point is if it is the playoffs. So the NHL, at least from the perspective of Boston, where it used to be huge, was practically on life support as it was. This Owners Lockout was the last thing that the sport needed.

Woody13

ArchiDanDisney said:
...on average the four major sports...

ArchiDanDisney said:
Depends, in the Cities with teams the markets are strong, so there are about 30 markets...but no strong unified fan base like the other major sports have.

Are you saying that the NHL is a major sport and that it ranks among the top 4 sports? I'd be interested in your explanation for that theory.

SpongeScott

Woody13 said:

Are you saying that the NHL is a major sport and that it ranks among the top 4 sports? I'd be interested in your explanation for that theory.
Hockey has always been considered one of the four major professional sports. You can't consider it a major sport anymore if you throw collegiate athletics into the mix.

Wckd Queen

Wait a sec...the country that produced WAYNE GRETZKY does not have hockey as its National Pasttime?!

There is something so not right about that :lookaroun

I dont know what the owners, players or league are thinking here. There really wont be any winners. Only losers. The owners lose revenue. The players lose salary, and, a year out of their career. The league loses television revenues and exposure. The fans lose their favored sport. And hockey gains negative press and loses any new fans it could have made. Remember, in the US its baseball, football, basketball....and maybe then its hockey.

*sigh* Think Messier will finally hang em up?

Christina

TAC said:
OLA - Ontario Lacrosse Association
WLA - Western Lacrosse Association
BCLA - British Columbia Lacrosse Association

Wow, I know something about Canada that a Canadian doesn't.

One out of three ima genuisssss! Honestly... I think my lacrosse team is the Calgary Rednecks but I'm really not sure...

Meh, i'm more of a european football person... "soccer" rarr.

BUT I MISS HOCKEY COS I LOVED THE CALGARY FLAMES AND THEY SHOULDA WON LAST YEAR INSEAD OF TAMPA! :fork:

Number_6 said:
Not even then, though. I was talking earlier about this with someone and realized that in Boston, for example, back in the 80s hockey was still a major sport to watch and had alot of fan support. The old Boston Garden had a capacity of 14,890(small compared to today's standard arena, but back then...) and filled it pretty much every night for a Bruins home game. The FleetCenter, where they play now has a capacity of 19,600. If they fill even close to half of that it's a good night there. The only time it even approaches capacity at this point is if it is the playoffs. So the NHL, at least from the perspective of Boston, where it used to be huge, was practically on life support as it was. This Owners Lockout was the last thing that the sport needed.

That's because the Bruins have been shakey at best...all the teams in the Western Conference sell a lot of tickets....Heck...come to detroit, if you want to watch real hockey that is...21,000 strong EVERY night...

crazycalf

The Rangers still sell out and they haven't made the playoffs in like 8 years and have the higest payroll. Maybe people in boston are saving there money for other things.

TAC

Christina said:
One out of three ima genuisssss! Honestly... I think my lacrosse team is the Calgary Rednecks but I'm really not sure...

Meh, i'm more of a european football person... "soccer" rarr.

BUT I MISS HOCKEY COS I LOVED THE CALGARY FLAMES AND THEY SHOULDA WON LAST YEAR INSEAD OF TAMPA! :fork:

Calgary Roughnecks - Champions in 2004.

http://www.calgaryroughnecks.com/html/front.htm

If you love hockey, go see one, ONE indoor lacrosse game, and you'll be hooked.

Trust me. ;)

TAC

Interesting Article

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/3376256

Detroit Red Wings forward Brendan Shanahan might switch from hockey to lacrosse if the NHL season is canceled.

Shanahan practiced with the National Lacrosse League's Toronto Rock on Wednesday. He is a part owner of the Rock and played lacrosse player as a teenager.

"I think he wants to see if he could still play," Brian Shanahan, Brendan's brother and a TV lacrosse analyst, told the Toronto Sun. "He did all the drills and I think if the NHL season is canceled, he'd seriously think about it."

Rock general manager and coach Terry Sanderson isn't ready to sign Brendan just yet, but wouldn't rule out the possibility if the NHL season is scratched.

TAC

They "accepted" (actually suggested) a salary cap at $52 million, while the owners want it at $40 million. The players said they would take a 25% pay deduction PLUS their proposed salary cap, and Bettmen rejected it.

With the press conference scheduled for Wednesday at 1 pm, and no talks scheduled, I doubt we will see NHL hockey this year.

There has been talk on a well-funded European Super League. The unnamed consortium is led by a Swiss billionaire. New arenas has been built all over Europe with the wider ice surface and larger seating capacities. Travel costs would be lower and i'm sure that a lot of European NHLers would jump at the chance to play at home for relatively big $$$. If the NHL doesn't comback, then this league may very much become a reality.

TAC

Feeling a little down without the NHL ?

The Little League That Could

CBC Sports Online | Feb. 9, 2005

Feeling a little disillusioned by the NHL lockout? Has the idea of an athlete making more money in a single game than you do in a year turned you off professional sports? The National Lacrosse League feels it can fill that void and ease your pain.

Lacrosse is still considered a niche sport in North America, but the NLL looks like it’s poised for a big growth spurt this year with hockey grounded to a standstill and a business plan that’s putting everything in order.

If you’ve never been to a lacrosse game before, you’re not alone. NLL commissioner Jim Jennings knows that his league represents some fans’ first exposure to lacrosse. He’s convinced the sport’s similarities will appeal to any hockey fan.

An average lacrosse game features a lot of hard hits, a few fights and – for those who bemoan the defensive hockey so prevalent in the NHL – plenty of goals.

That’s probably what most hockey fans wanted to see last year when they forked over $43.57 for a very cheap ticket to a Toronto Maple Leafs game.

Problem is, the Leafs or any other NHL hockey game rarely lived up to those expectations. An NLL team can’t guarantee a win – not like the Leafs can either -- but it basically ensures you’ll see those three elements in a game.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman and the Players’ Association should take a few notes on how the NLL has embraced rather than distanced their fans.

Not only are tickets affordable at an average of $19, but the NLL markets itself as a true working-man’s league. Lacrosse players are in this for the love of the game. This is their part-time job. From Monday to Friday, they are just like its fans, trying to make a living as teachers, firefighters or construction workers.

Colorado's Gary Gait is considered by many as the Wayne Gretzky of indoor lacrosse, but he makes the league maximum of $22,500. An average lacrosse player earns $14,000 a season.

“That’s the message you want to get out,” said Toronto Rock owner Brad Watters. “These are hard-working guys playing this game. That’s what really has been core to the marketing strategy over the past five years.”

The combination of an inexpensive night out and one less sport on the radar has translated into modest success so far for the NLL.

The league's season ticket base is up 20 per cent and it is averaging 10,205 fans per game this year.

But a sustained lockout will not help the league in the long run, warned NLL commissioner Jim Jennings.

Because all but one of the NLL's 10 teams plays in the same arenas as their NHL counterparts (a lot have the same owners), Jennings argues that lost hockey games are missed opportunities to cross promote lacrosse.

“I think at the beginning it helped get us more attention and get us to the front pages of the sports sections in a lot of those cities where normally if there was hockey, we would be on Page 2 or 3,” said Jennings.

“That’s been a benefit to us. But overall, it’s hurt us because we count on those hockey game to market our product.”

Since taking over as commissioner five years ago, Jennings has guided the league through a couple of rough spots to put it in position as a solid marketable entity on the professional sports landscape.

What was once a strictly northeastern sport has now spread across the continent, with franchises out west, in Colorado, San Jose, Anaheim, Calgary, and one down south in Arizona.

As many hockey fans know, the NHL's attempt to expand west and south hasn't been a total success, but Jennings feels confident his sport can sustain itself.

“If we have the right ownership group, I think this sport will sell in any city,” he said. “It’s not a big commitment; it’s only eight home games.”

He feels even more confident in the league’s future after signing a network television deal with NBC.

The American broadcaster will air the NLL all-star game and the Champion's Cup Final live this year. It will be the first time in history lacrosse will be shown on network television.

“I’ve said since Day 1 as commissioner, in order for us to break through to the American people here it’s going to take a network television deal to do that,” Jennings said. “Unlike other things you can do in other parts of the world, unless you’re on network television in the United States, you’re not seen as a credible sports property.”

Of course, NBC has experimented with airing different sports before. The XFL, a renegade football league established by WWE owner Vince McMahon, was an absolute failure, but there's quite a difference with the NLL.

The XFL hadn't even played a game when it signed a deal with the television network. After losing its contract with the NFL, NBC was desperate to show any kind of football.

The NLL, on the other hand, is an established league and already has a dedicated fan base. The American broadcaster knows the product and has seen games. Unlike the XFL, the NLL is not dependant on NBC for its future survival.

Lacrosse is still on the fringes of the professional sports landscape, but Jennings sees big things ahead for the league. Television was the first step. Next will be establishing another 12 to 16 franchises in NHL or NBA markets.

“Like hockey, the NBA or NFL and all these other sports, if you look at the history of those sports, every one of them started exactly the same way,” he said. “I think history repeats itself when it comes to that and we’ll become a full-time league.”

MerHearted

Original Poster
Hockey can be saved. The biggest barrier has been broken. They've all accepted the salary cap, now all it is is just agreeing on the number. The deadline is tommorrow, but I really think there can be hockey. Instead of announcing the cancelation of the season, Bettman may announce it's on!

I was thinking about it, if the season can be saved, would it be seen as legitimate? Would the winner of a shortened season be worthy of the Stanley Cup? At first, I thought no, there would be no honor in that. But then I realized no one cares about the NHL season anyway. The playoffs have always been the greatest thing about hockey. The NHL season and the NHL playoffs are like night and day, completely different. You earn the Stanley Cup by what you do in the playoffs, not the season. The season is meaningless, it only serves to get you into the real season. So a shorten season, say 28 games, may actually be better. Every game would matter, it's like a playoff before the playoffs. And the cool thing would be all 30 teams would have a shot. I'm excited, I hope hockey can be saved.

PhotoDave219

Aint gonna happen. Hockey is dead forever unless they can come up with a deal between now and 11AM tomorrow.

Cancelling the season will end the sport. I see parallels between the spat between Goodnow and Bettman with Job's fight with Eisner.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom