Save the Adventurers Club

TOCPE82

Definately great work. I'm printing up my letters and emails as I type this. Going out to buy stamps first thing in the AM.

IROC it

I'll be at AC with my wife at the end of the month for our anniversary...

I just hope it's not too packed out to be enjoyable...

That said, my wish is that it gets relocated.

Not sure if I'll do the petition thing though. I'd imagine it's an exercise in futility seeing how they've already given the media a full breakdown on the changes coming up.

I would kinda doubt the company will go back on a plan they've announced to the world.

TOCPE82

IROC, have you ever heard of the Disney Decade? lol

I just send out sets of letters from myself and a few other family members today. DO THE SAME. WE CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Please sign the petitions though, it only takes a few seconds and even if they mean nothing, it doesn't do anything, which I could argue it does if the signature numbers are high enough.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Here are two more avenues to attempt in the campaing to "Save The Adventurers Club".

According to the "Save The Adventurers Club" Facebook Group:

After a written letter and e-mail I did have a DVC rep contact me. The CM (and it was a true cast member not an outside firm) did say that they encourage all DVC members to contact member services if they were upset with this issue. So it was a general response but it's keeping them busy so all DVC members heres the info you need:

Member Services: 1-800-800-9800

Disney Vacation Club
Attn: Jim Lewis (president of dvc)
200 Celebration Place
Celebration, FL 34747

While many may think, why should DVC have anything to do with the closing of Pleasure Island, a follow up reply stated:

DVC makes a huge effort to sell additional ownership interests to existing DVC members. Each year, DVC sends a number of expensive mailings to existing members, solely for the purpose of selling additional ownership interests.

DVC does not want their reputation tarnished with existing members or serious prospects. For many Saratoga Springs Owners, DVC used the proximity of Pleasure Island in their sales presentations to get prospective owners to purchase into Saratoga Springs. If DVC sold Pleasure Island as a "benefit," its fair to ask DVC to do something about keeping the AC around.

By going after DVC, you're going after the goose that lays the golden eggs.

So all DVC and Prospective DVC Members, here is another step to take in this fight.

Also, it seems that people have been recieveing non-form responses by mailing and e-mailing:

Walt Disney World Guest Relations
P.O. Box 10000
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Walt Disney World Guest Communications
PO Box 10040
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830-0040

wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com

Though it is still a hard fight, please let us keep fighting until we have The Walt Disney Co. keep the Adventurers Club Doors open for future generations of Walt Disney World Guests.

Some days you eat the mouse.
Some days the mouse eats you.
But never give into the mouse without a fight!

KUNGALOOSH!

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Here is an E-bay auction for Save The Adventurers Club Business Cards that caused quite a controversy at The Adventurers Club last Friday!

bizcard.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/Disney-Pleasure-Island-Adventurers-Club-Adventurers-PI_W0QQitemZ180268745025QQihZ008QQcategoryZ1380QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The listing includes the story of that night, and from the story, it seems that executives are taking notice of the campaign, and are not liking what they see! Also, from the chatter around the Adventurers Club, a rumor has surfaced that not a single contract has been signed for the "Bold New Vision" of Pleasure Island Project! If this is true, this decision can still be reversed! Please keep sending letters and emails everyone, for we can save the Adventurers Club (and maybe all of Pleasure Island) yet!

KUNGALOOSH!

CaptainMichael

Also, from the chatter around the Adventurers Club, a rumor has surfaced that not a single contract has been signed for the "Bold New Vision" of Pleasure Island Project! If this is true, this decision can still be reversed! Please keep sending letters and emails everyone, for we can save the Adventurers Club (and maybe all of Pleasure Island) yet!

I hope this is true, but I have to say that I'm skeptical that they would close down PI without confirmed replacements.

TOCPE82

I can see disney not wanting their guests to be harassed and handed cards and propoganda, but discreetly handing out cards shouldn't be a problem.

CaptainMichael

I can see disney not wanting their guests to be harassed and handed cards and propoganda, but discreetly handing out cards shouldn't be a problem.

From what I've read online, it seems like the situation was blown out of proportion by supporters of the club. I could be wrong, but it seems that way. I hope that in the future, they protest in the proper way. For example, calling for Bob Iger to be fired won't solve anything, but respectful emails, letters, and phone calls may. I just don't see how anyone can expect to get good results from riling up executives.

Unplugged

I just don't see how anyone can expect to get good results from riling up executives.

You're absolutely right. The proper and mature approach to a business decision such as what was made is with a sound business alternative. Asking for heads to roll because someone loves a bar is crazy. To me, the AC is not a bar, it's a unique experience. It must be sold not as something to be saved, but a tremendous revenue opportunity lost if intentions are not changed.

I am in the process of writing my letters to Iger, DVC, and Guest Relations. Essentially, my points are these:

• Disney makes substantial revenue from what they call franchises, so apply that method to the AC (following are possibilities).
  • Add an AC restaurant extension where BET is, with continued extensive themeing, more interactive CM's & AAs. (How about the wrecked plan "hanging" in there but actually balcony seating? Fingers may play the piano, but who's flying the plane?).
  • Grow the character list a bit so they can wander the dining side as well such as an odd chef that spends little time in the kitchen and speaks in a language no one knows, a crazy inventor, a rich baron trying to sponsor other members adventures, a professor always talking up the glory days of discovery, etc.
  • Maintain the bar but eliminate the cover charge and make it up by adding more themed drinks, cool collectible cups, add mobile appetizers or desserts from the dining side.
  • Add "Club Adventurer", a themed store with quality merchandise including "Hathaway Brown Bomber Jackets", mugs of all types, props, clothing, etc. Also, use this store to tie in merchandise from Jungle Cruise, Tailspin, etc.
  • Push it as far as a movie. A comedy based on the obscure club could be really funny if done well. With more Indiana Jones, The Mummy, and others on the way, this could really play well.
Disney doesn't accept outside ideas. So I'm not giving them any. I'm a DVC owner and a Disney investor providing missed opportunities to generate large revenue from an already existing property.

Are there more of you out there?

CaptainMichael

I am in the process of writing my letters to Iger, DVC, and Guest Relations. Essentially, my points are these:

• Disney makes substantial revenue from what they call franchises, so apply that method to the AC (following are possibilities).
  • Add an AC restaurant extension where BET is, with continued extensive themeing, more interactive CM's & AAs. (How about the wrecked plan "hanging" in there but actually balcony seating? Fingers may play the piano, but who's flying the plane?).
  • Grow the character list a bit so they can wander the dining side as well such as an odd chef that spends little time in the kitchen and speaks in a language no one knows, a crazy inventor, a rich baron trying to sponsor other members adventures, a professor always talking up the glory days of discovery, etc.
  • Maintain the bar but eliminate the cover charge and make it up by adding more themed drinks, cool collectible cups, add mobile appetizers or desserts from the dining side.
  • Add "Club Adventurer", a themed store with quality merchandise including "Hathaway Brown Bomber Jackets", mugs of all types, props, clothing, etc. Also, use this store to tie in merchandise from Jungle Cruise, Tailspin, etc.
  • Push it as far as a movie. A comedy based on the obscure club could be really funny if done well. With more Indiana Jones, The Mummy, and others on the way, this could really play well.
This is basically in line with my ideas. Good luck with your letter. I'm still waiting for responses...

kingslyZISSOU

All this jazz about the AC has really made me interested in it. How old do you have to be? and whats the cost to get in? oh and whats the age? is it 21? or 18?

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Originally Posted by Unplugged

I also thought an expansion of the Adventurers Club would be a great idea, but I would make a few suggestions to Unplugged's list.

• BET turned into the Adventurers Club restaurant to be open day and night, but seperate from the original Adventurers Club, whose show would remain unchanged and open its usual 7PM - 1AM.
  • For some reason I think the merchandise store should be named "Avigators". I have no idea why that name came to me. :animwink:
Also, I have to comment on STR8FAN2005's post.

Originally Posted by STR8FAN2005
I hope this is true, but I have to say that I'm skeptical that they would close down PI without confirmed replacements.

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Disney announced to close Pleasure Island without confirmed replacements. Has anyone heard of what is going in there for certain? Sure we have heard that there are plans, but if they do not have confirmations yet, they were wise to make it look like there are. That way it would look like any campaign would be a wasted effort, there wouldn’t be a mass amount of guest complaints and the news would be accepted and forgotten. Why else was the announcement buried on page four of the Orlando Sentinel? Also, supposedly nothing is being done with the buildings until Jan 2009, and the clubs will still be available to rent (without entertainment) for private events. These factors lead me to believe that there may be some truth to these rumors.

KUNGALOOSH!

kingslyZISSOU

Actually, It's illegal to do this on private property. Trust me. Unless the security guards are on your side, you will be asked to stop rather briskly.

lynnie5150

The plans have already been set for the reconstruction of all of PI. This is a dead issue and you are all wasting your time. Move on!

PKD

Here is an E-bay auction for Save The Adventurers Club Business Cards that caused quite a controversy at The Adventurers Club last Friday!

The listing includes the story of that night, and from the story, it seems that executives are taking notice of the campaign, and are not liking what they see! Also, from the chatter around the Adventurers Club, a rumor has surfaced that not a single contract has been signed for the "Bold New Vision" of Pleasure Island Project! If this is true, this decision can still be reversed! Please keep sending letters and emails everyone, for we can save the Adventurers Club (and maybe all of Pleasure Island) yet!

KUNGALOOSH!

On Friday the 18th, I witnessed the ordeal between management, security and the people handing out the cards. They were asked to stop as they were violating the no soliciting rules. They continued to try and stir things up about the closing. This didn't go over well. Plus these same people are encouraging people to not buy drinks from the bar?!?!?!?!

I know that some of the CM's (Actors, Bar tenders, and ushers) of the Ad. Club that night were very upset with these people. The CM's feel that this is their job and yes, they may not like the closing, but don't like having people causing problems at their work place.

Also, the CM's are being made uncomfortable by these people as the CM's have to "watch who they talk to/serve". It's just causing extra tension and problems these CM's don't need. The CM's feel these people are being very selfish and not thinking how the CM's and other guest feel about this being done AT their place of work.

I am all about the club not closing, but some of these "savers" are just going to far in HOW they are trying to get their word out.

CaptainMichael

The plans have already been set for the reconstruction of all of PI. This is a dead issue and you are all wasting your time. Move on!

I hate to be a downer - but what's done is done.....This club will be closed along with all the others. It's time to let it GO!

:brick: If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Some things are worth fighting for, and this is one of them.

Master Gracey

Original Poster
Originally Posted by lynnie5150

Originally Posted by Brwneyedgirl72
I hate to be a downer - but what's done is done.....This club will be closed along with all the others. It's time to let it GO!

The only time when this becomes a "dead issue" and it is time to "move on" and "let GO" is on Sept 28, 2008 when either Disney has rescinded, or a new campaign "Bring Back the Adventurers Club!" is started. Either way, it is certainly is not a "waste of time" to point out to Disney when they are wrong about something. And speaking as a DVC Member, Annual Passholder, and Stockholder, I believe that the guests are entitled to have a say in shaping the future of Walt Disney World.

KUNGALOOSH!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom