Save the Adventurers Club

The Colonel

As I’ve said before, they could have made it an actual “club” with a membership fee that many would have paid. They could have added a restaurant similar to the Edison. A cover charge like Jelly Rolls. A drink minimum. It could have been done, it could have made some hardcore fans very happy, and maybe made a few bucks as well. It’s not that hard to figure out a way to monetize a popular attraction. They seem to be rather good at that.

But they seem to have a pathological aversion to paying live talent. Off Kilter :(

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Now it’s up to you to support your statement. In what way is it more complicated since what he said pretty much summed it up?

Well for a start, the adventurers club wasn’t a bar you just wandered into, it was part of a gated themed area. Pleasure Island was essentially a mini theme park with each club being an attraction, atmosphere entertainment and nightly fireworks. You had to buy a ticket to enter the island, or have an annual pass. So saying the problem was people not buying enough drinks is silly.

Even after they opened up the island for people to pass through they sold single club tickets, but those tickets weren’t good for AClub or Comedy Warehouse, you had to buy the full pleasure island ticket for those clubs. The multi club ticket in 2008 was $23. A one day park ticket in 2008 was $75.

Wendy Pleakley

As I’ve said before, they could have made it an actual “club” with a membership fee that many would have paid. They could have added a restaurant similar to the Edison. A cover charge like Jelly Rolls. A drink minimum. It could have been done, it could have made some hardcore fans very happy, and maybe made a few bucks as well. It’s not that hard to figure out a way to monetize a popular attraction. They seem to be rather good at that.

But they seem to have a pathological aversion to paying live talent. Off Kilter :(

Jelly Rolls charges admission, and I'm pretty sure it attracts a crowd of regulars who may or may not hang out for hours nursing a handful of drinks. They have live performers as well. Disney could make the AC club concept work again if the desire was there.

They could do it like Hoop De Doo or the Luau, with a meal and relatively large price tag. I bet they could sell out shows on a regular basis, if not nightly.

I've said it before, I only went once and I'm not a hardcore fan, but it really struck me as something that was "only at Disney". It was an attraction that made me want to go back to WDW. Now Disney Springs is just shopping and food. I go because it's there, but it's not something that makes me want to plan my next trip.

Goofyernmost

It’s wayyyyy more complicated than that. But you know that right?
What the hell is the matter with you guys, of course there was more to it, but, because of what I said they knew that it couldn't stand alone. I witnessed people piling in, buying one drink and settling in for the evening for what essentially was a evening long show for the price of a drink or two. However, Pleasure Island had a lot more problems than that and because of them the AREA closed and Adventurers was not going to be able to survive on it's own.

This whining and gnashing of teeth at this point is useless and shows a huge degree denial of reality. IT DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE WHY IT WAS CLOSED. It is closed and unless they can find a better venue and devise a way to make it be more profitable it will forever remain that way. It would be so nice if we could all just move on. My comment was less on why it closed then why it will never reopen, at any place. This is not your fathers Disney anymore.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

I witnessed people piling in, buying one drink and settling in for the evening for what essentially was a evening long show for the price of a drink or two.

But that’s not correct. Everyone had to have paid admission to the island. The whole point of paying said admission was that you would enjoy an evenings worth of entertainment.

Goofyernmost

But that’s not correct. Everyone had to have paid admission to the island. The whole point of paying said admission was that you would enjoy an evenings worth of entertainment.
You didn't have to pay admission later on to the Island for many years. They tried to build up more traffic by dropping that requirement.

Lilofan

You didn't have to pay admission later on to the Island for many years. They tried to build up more traffic by dropping that requirement.
I have seen guests sit on the second floor level with no drinks in hand looking down admiring the show at the Adventures Club.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

To the island... not to the clubs. A multi-club ticket was required to enter adventurers club. At the time of closing that multi-club ticket was $23. For comparison, a one day magic kingdom ticket was $75.

(You could buy a 1 club ticket for the dance clubs, but not adventurers club or comedy warehouse).

surfsupdon

Seeing the Adventurer’s Club at several runDisney races is always fun. And the afterparty is a good time when they are around.

They illustrate that Disney can have entertainment that is not child centered. Hollywood Streetmosphere also was loaded with double entendres and more adult humour before it too was watered down and focused on children.

Here’s hoping we can have more limited time engagements with the AC.

Magenta Panther

Reviving the Adventurer's Club for AK seems like such a natural. If it did come to AK, I might actually visit that boring park again. But because AC isn't tied in with an IP, it probably won't happen. What a waste of a good concept.

TrainsOfDisney

Reviving the Adventurer's Club for AK seems like such a natural. If it did come to AK, I might actually visit that boring park again. But because AC isn't tied in with an IP, it probably won't happen. What a waste of a good concept.

Yup. You could do it in the evening in the Lion king theatre or the bird show theatre. Would be a great addition to the park.

Thelazer

Look if "Hoop De Do" can run 25 years, or whatever.. a dinner show concept featuring the wacky adventures with Tiki drinks and plenty of exotic foods such as Island Jerk chicken nuggets and Mikey's Mac and Cheese... could have easily run another 20 years.

Pirate665

In all reality can you rent the dance hall, hire adventurers club, and sell tickets?

I wonder what it would be... like $10k?

So, when I priced out Atlantic for a wedding in 2016, for 6 hours it was roughly 60k rounded down. Me and the ex-wife wound up doing the ballroom at Portofino for 10 hours, with dinner, dancing, and alot of add ons for a total of 75k. Cost wise, it was a better deal, because dinner options kept adding onto the cost with Atlantic. And they wouldn't let my ex's jazz band perform without some serious implications. The Port was the better deal.

On average, to have a character present for a private event, it's about 5k a character for a half hour set for 2 sets. It's not cheap. There's alot that goes into that cost. Performer, attendant, cleaning, and it could go up if it's a character that's hard to come by. Pain and Panic are a good one in this field as well as Darkwing. They're expensive per set and will run a pretty penny but worth it.

That being said, it'd be awesome to fork over a couple of k and have the performers in an element they could groove to again.

I'd also recommend no one ever have a wedding with over a 150 guests. It was a nightmare cost wise. And I'm pretty sure I never saw most of those family members again after that.

TrainsOfDisney

So, when I priced out Atlantic for a wedding in 2016, for 6 hours it was roughly 60k rounded down. Me and the ex-wife wound up doing the ballroom at Portofino for 10 hours, with dinner, dancing, and alot of add ons for a total of 75k. Cost wise, it was a better deal, because dinner options kept adding onto the cost with Atlantic. And they wouldn't let my ex's jazz band perform without some serious implications. The Port was the better deal.

On average, to have a character present for a private event, it's about 5k a character for a half hour set for 2 sets. It's not cheap. There's alot that goes into that cost. Performer, attendant, cleaning, and it could go up if it's a character that's hard to come by. Pain and Panic are a good one in this field as well as Darkwing. They're expensive per set and will run a pretty penny but worth it.

That being said, it'd be awesome to fork over a couple of k and have the performers in an element they could groove to again.

I'd also recommend no one ever have a wedding with over a 150 guests. It was a nightmare cost wise. And I'm pretty sure I never saw most of those family members again after that.

Why am I not surprised something at Disney is way more $$ than i would have guessed. Since AC is equity you’d have to pay an equity stage manager too if it was a full show.

Still... if you could charge enough to cover costs would be so fun! Ha

TrojanUSC

Sort of true while not really true. You still had to pay a cover charge to enter the venues, even if you were now permitted to walk through the island.

Adventurers Club had the same issue as the other venues by the end. The only nights it drew a true crowd were the free CM nights. Unlike Mannequins, though, which catered to a drinking partying crowd Adv Club's patrons rarely drank, making it a very high cost venue (a troupe of Equity performers) with little return.

Goofyernmost

Sort of true while not really true. You still had to pay a cover charge to enter the venues, even if you were now permitted to walk through the island.

Adventurers Club had the same issue as the other venues by the end. The only nights it drew a true crowd were the free CM nights. Unlike Mannequins, though, which catered to a drinking partying crowd Adv Club's patrons rarely drank, making it a very high cost venue (a troupe of Equity performers) with little return.
I will take your word for it because I only went one time. I will say, without a doubt, that I went to the Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurers club. I can not speak for any other time, but, when I went there I didn't pay any cover charge at all. I feel comfortable saying that because I know how cheap I am and that I wouldn't have paid admission to get in. I can back the up by the fact that I bought a drink there out of guilt. I don't normally drink, but I felt guilty about sitting there watching without paying anything. Might have been a special promotion, as I say, I only went that one time. It was many years ago, I think right after they stopped charging to get into the area. I also remember that Eisner was still there because one of the comedians made a nasty joke about him and then right after if anyone knew a place that would hire a fired comedian. I wish I could remember the joke. It was mean enough that a number of the audience gasped in surprise.

TrainsOfDisney

I will take your word for it because I only went one time. I will say, without a doubt, that I went to the Comedy Warehouse and the Adventurers club. I can not speak for any other time, but, when I went there I didn't pay any cover charge at all. I feel comfortable saying that because I know how cheap I am and that I wouldn't have paid admission to get in. I can back the up by the fact that I bought a drink there out of guilt. I don't normally drink, but I felt guilty about sitting there watching without paying anything. Might have been a special promotion, as I say, I only went that one time. It was many years ago, I think right after they stopped charging to get into the area. I also remember that Eisner was still there because one of the comedians made a nasty joke about him and then right after if anyone knew a place that would hire a fired comedian. I wish I could remember the joke. It was mean enough that a number of the audience gasped in surprise.

Did you have the deluxe annual pass at the time? (The one with the water parks included). There was never a time when you got free admission.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom