Saratoga Springs

Marijil

Very nice place, stayed there in august 2010...quiet low key theming, food court is good..didnt eat at restaurant, nice boat trans to dtd...you can walk from some bldgs....main pool can get overwhelmed in summer, find quiet pool...have fun...

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
Very nice place, stayed there in august 2010...quiet low key theming, food court is good..didnt eat at restaurant, nice boat trans to dtd...you can walk from some bldgs....main pool can get overwhelmed in summer, find quiet pool...have fun...

Thanks! Yeah we usually stay at boardwalk or beach club. The last couple trips we have been staying at other resorts. I plan on doing more research before we go to make sure I don't miss anything!

relots

My family and I are staying at Saratoga Springs in June. This will be my first time staying at that resort. Anything special or any can't misses?!
One nice perk is that you can walk from there to Downtown Disney so in the evenings you virtually can't run out of things to do. When in June is your trip if you don't mind me asking?

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
One nice perk is that you can walk from there to Downtown Disney so in the evenings you virtually can't run out of things to do. When in June is your trip if you don't mind me asking?

My favorite thing about the Boardwalk area is the walking distance to epcot and HS. DTD is no epcot but I still love it and I love the fact I can walk or take a boat! We are staying June 6 -14th

71dsp

We stayed at the Tree House Villas a few years back. The resort is quite nice. One evening, it was pouring and we (4 adults & 4 kids) got soaked to the bone (this was in January, and it was quite cold that year). We canceled our dining plans at the park and headed back to the resort. When we got there, we asked one of the CMs at Turf Club if they had room for dinner. They said absolutely, so we explained that it would take a little time for us to run back to our room to change since we were in the Tree House Villas. Not only did they go ahead and seat us, they brought us numerous towels to help us dry off. Honestly, we did feel a little out of place because we were all wet, but the staff there did everything they could to make us comfortable. To top it off, the food was very good, so we went back one more time before we left (it was warmer and sunny that day so we sat outside).

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
We stayed at the Tree House Villas a few years back. The resort is quite nice. One evening, it was pouring and we (4 adults & 4 kids) got soaked to the bone (this was in January, and it was quite cold that year). We canceled our dining plans at the park and headed back to the resort. When we got there, we asked one of the CMs at Turf Club if they had room for dinner. They said absolutely, so we explained that it would take a little time for us to run back to our room to change since we were in the Tree House Villas. Not only did they go ahead and seat us, they brought us numerous towels to help us dry off. Honestly, we did feel a little out of place because we were all wet, but the staff there did everything they could to make us comfortable. To top it off, the food was very good, so we went back one more time before we left (it was warmer and sunny that day so we sat outside).

Yes! I love it! There has been times where it rained and we retreated back to hotel. What was waiting at the hotel lobby as all the rain soaked people were coming in? Baskets full of warm towels to try off. I know its not much but they truly treat you like royalty!

relots

My favorite thing about the Boardwalk area is the walking distance to epcot and HS. DTD is no epcot but I still love it and I love the fact I can walk or take a boat! We are staying June 6 -14th
For sure I see your point that there is no comparison in the two but I know when our family goes down for a convention in April we stay in the Hilton across from DTD and it's nice to be able to cross and go over in the evenings. But definitely having quick access to Epcot is way better.

On a side note your trip falls on the same exact time as my trip except you'll have one more day then me... :cautious:

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
For sure I see your point that there is no comparison in the two but I know when our family goes down for a convention in April we stay in the Hilton across from DTD and it's nice to be able to cross and go over in the evenings. But definitely having quick access to Epcot is way better.

On a side note your trip falls on the same exact time as my trip except you'll have one more day then me... :cautious:

That's awesome!! That last day isn't really a full day. We will be leaving that morning. I'm happy to catch the last star wars weekend! I believe that's actually the weekend of the 6th.

PhilharMagician

We have stayed there many times. The first time was shortly after SSR opened when only Congress Park area was complete and all the other sections were in construction. It was a bit messy, but it was like we had the entire resort to ourselves. Since there were only 4 buildings open at that times the Artist Palette was nearly empty and no lines ever. High Rock Springs pool was empty and it was really nice. Another bonus back then was laying in bed and watching the PI fireworks going off ever night at midnight. Not a huge fireworks show, but it was nice and sorely missed.

Now it is quite busy since the size of the resort has more than quadrupled since it first opened. The counter service restaurant (Artist Palette) can be packed and tough to find seating in the mornings and as mentioned the main pool can get really crazy. Luckily they have opened another small CS restaurant, but it is a large resort and a lot of people. For food I recommend walking over to Wolfgang Pucks Express at DTD Marketplace. They open at 9:00 and the food is much better and Disney CS food. The table service restaurant The Turf Club opened a few years after the resort because of guest demand. The restaurant is quite good and has never been really packed when I have been there.

Another big bonus for me is that if you decide to have dinner at one of the Disney resorts and need to get back to your resort after then typically you would need to take a bus to one of the parks or DTD to transfer to a bus to your resort. Staying at SSR you can just hop a bus from whatever resort you are dining at go to DTD and easily walk back to SSR. It is about a 1/4 mile walk depending on where your room is located.

I you like to walk of run there is a path that connects SSR to DTD to OKW and the Tree Houses. It is a nice quiet walk of jog going to OKW along the waterway. Not usually too many people using it.

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
We have stayed there many times. The first time was shortly after SSR opened when only Congress Park area was complete and all the other sections were in construction. It was a bit messy, but it was like we had the entire resort to ourselves. Since there were only 4 buildings open at that times the Artist Palette was nearly empty and no lines ever. High Rock Springs pool was empty and it was really nice. Another bonus back then was laying in bed and watching the PI fireworks going off ever night at midnight. Not a huge fireworks show, but it was nice and sorely missed.

Now it is quite busy since the size of the resort has more than quadrupled since it first opened. The counter service restaurant (Artist Palette) can be packed and tough to find seating in the mornings and as mentioned the main pool can get really crazy. Luckily they have opened another small CS restaurant, but it is a large resort and a lot of people. For food I recommend walking over to Wolfgang Pucks Express at DTD Marketplace. They open at 9:00 and the food is much better and Disney CS food. The table service restaurant The Turf Club opened a few years after the resort because of guest demand. The restaurant is quite good and has never been really packed when I have been there.

Another big bonus for me is that if you decide to have dinner at one of the Disney resorts and need to get back to your resort after then typically you would need to take a bus to one of the parks or DTD to transfer to a bus to your resort. Staying at SSR you can just hop a bus from whatever resort you are dining at go to DTD and easily walk back to SSR. It is about a 1/4 mile walk depending on where your room is located.

I you like to walk of run there is a path that connects SSR to DTD to OKW and the Tree Houses. It is a nice quiet walk of jog going to OKW along the waterway. Not usually too many people using it.

I haven't even thought about the transportation aspect of staying there! It was always a pain to eat at another resort. We would have to get on a bus to a park and wait there for a bus to the resort. We are planning on eating at a couple resorts this trip and staying at SSR will save us a ton of time.

PhilharMagician

I haven't even thought about the transportation aspect of staying there! It was always a pain to eat at another resort. We would have to get on a bus to a park and wait there for a bus to the resort. We are planning on eating at a couple resorts this trip and staying at SSR will save us a ton of time.

Then you can get your DTD shopping done on your way back to your resort instead of taking part or all of a park day to do it.

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
Then you can get your DTD shopping done on your way back to your resort instead of taking part or all of a park day to do it.

You're right! I love DTD and I make sure I spend time there every time I go. The problem is, I don't want to spend the entire day there and miss out on park time. Staying at SSR will give me the opportunity of going there and spending more time there after a day at the park. I can already see I'm going to be spending some late nights at DTD!

relots

That's awesome!! That last day isn't really a full day. We will be leaving that morning. I'm happy to catch the last star wars weekend! I believe that's actually the weekend of the 6th.
I just checked the calendar and that is the Star Wars weekend. We're due to land at 6:30 on the evening of the 7th and then depart on the 14th.

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
I just checked the calendar and that is the Star Wars weekend. We're due to land at 6:30 on the evening of the 7th and then depart on the 14th.

Yeah I love star wars weekend! I can't remember the exact times but our flight will be landing in Orlando in the morning of the 6th. We should arrive at Disney by lunch time! I plan on going directly to epcot for the evening.

relots

Yeah I love star wars weekend! I can't remember the exact times but our flight will be landing in Orlando in the morning of the 6th. We should arrive at Disney by lunch time! I plan on going directly to epcot for the evening.
Lucky! Too bad I have work Saturday morning (school district's graduation day and I have to be there to manage the lighting and sound for it) but I told my GF the minute the last kid walks across that stage we're heading out! I'm changing in my office to my shorts and t-shirt and then off to the airport. I was never a huge star wars fan but I figured we may stop in on Sunday for a little just to see what it's like.

Boardwalk-empire

Original Poster
Lucky! Too bad I have work Saturday morning (school district's graduation day and I have to be there to manage the lighting and sound for it) but I told my GF the minute the last kid walks across that stage we're heading out! I'm changing in my office to my shorts and t-shirt and then off to the airport. I was never a huge star wars fan but I figured we may stop in on Sunday for a little just to see what it's like.

Nice. I just like the atmosphere at Hollywood Studios on star wars weekends. For me, it's cool to see the different states wars characters in the park.

Obi

stayed twice at ssr. loved it both times... we preferred staying in the grandstand area. has it's own quiet pool, close enough to the main area to walk to, catch a boat to dtd. plus, as far as i can remember, it is the first stop on the bus route.

gostone23

We stayed at SSR in the Congress Park section. I was worried about buses being late or full but that was unfounded. The place was beautiful and quiet. We did have to walk a ways to get to the Pool and restaurant but it really wasn't too bad.

At times it felt like we were the only ones there it was so quiet. Even at the bus stops we were usually the only family. The room was fantastic. It was my first DVC. Full kitchen and spacious enough for the three of us.

The themeing wasn't really something I thought I would enjoy(and its still not my fave at WDW) but it is nice and very peaceful. It grew on me and I would definitely recommend it and go back myself.

-Robert

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom