Saratoga Springs vs Old Key West - Advice & Opinions Wanted!

wonderrx

Original Poster
Hello all, thanks in advance for your responses.

We are planning a relatively last minute trip arriving at Disney World July 4th through July 12th.

Party of 6.

2 Grandparents who get around pretty well, but are 73 and 83. A 11 year old and a 9 year old and 2 parents.

We took a tour of Saratoga Springs on an earlier trip and remembered the 2 bedroom units with kitchen, we are planning on going with that type of unit.

I know Old Key West has a similar set up to Saratoga but differs in some ways.

Taking the facts above into consideration where would you stay?

What are your pros and cons for each resort?

Any pro tips for these resorts/getting a good room?

Thanks again!
Tony

EOD K9

Hi Wonder, at that time of year, where you stay will be the least of your worries.
I've stayed in Studios and a 1 bedroom in both resorts. I loved the bigger room in both resorts but was not crazy about the studio in OKW. The studio there is a little bigger but doesn't have a pull out couch. It is a traditional hotel room with kitchenette. I don't know if you have a dedicated 2 br or a 1 br lock off at OKW. OKW has a nice fast food type grill that we enjoyed. We sat down in their restaurant, looked over the menu, and then left. It just wasn't our thing. The resort is very nice though.
As for SSR, they have a good restaurant and quick service towards the front of the resort and one towards the rear. The studios at this resort have the couch with pull out. That may or may not be what you want considering you have kids. You can also walk to DTD from SSR. I would go with SSR and ask for a room in the Springs as it's closer to the main food court, Artist's Palette. Either way, you'll have a great trip. Enjoy!

jeffk410

Been to both. My vote is SSR.

SSR seems to get very mixed reports on these boards; however, I was pleasantly surprised by the resort.

Wasn't too fond of OKW, but that is just my opinion.

Good luck!

bubster

Hello all, thanks in advance for your responses.

We are planning a relatively last minute trip arriving at Disney World July 4th through July 12th.

Party of 6.

2 Grandparents who get around pretty well, but are 73 and 83. A 11 year old and a 9 year old and 2 parents.

We took a tour of Saratoga Springs on an earlier trip and remembered the 2 bedroom units with kitchen, we are planning on going with that type of unit.

I know Old Key West has a similar set up to Saratoga but differs in some ways.

Taking the facts above into consideration where would you stay?

What are your pros and cons for each resort?

Any pro tips for these resorts/getting a good room?

Thanks again!
Tony

We just got back from SSR and are staying at OKW the 1st week of June. We really like both resorts.

The only cons are they are both spread out and very large. These are considered "condo" style resorts. If you want a more hotel experience you may not like either. Some people feel like they are too far away from everything. I don't feel the same since they are both quite close to Epcot and the Studios by bus.

Pros: OKW villas are larger than most all of the other DVC resorts. If you have a car you can park right at your door. At SSR you can park outside your building. Both resorts have easy access to DTD by boat and you can walk from SSR. Both have 5 bus stops throughout the resorts. Bus service is surprisingly good and don't share with other resorts or a water park.

SSR has The Turf Club a really nice table service restaurant and Artists Palette a good quick serve place plus another QS at the Paddock pool. OKW has Olivia's a good table service restaurant and Good's to Go a walk-up quick service with no in-door seating.

OKW has a feature pool w/slide and 3 quiet pools. SSR has 2 0-entry feature pools w/slides and 2 quiet pools.

OKW 2 bedroom villas have a sleeper chair in the living room and sleep 9 and SSR sleeps 8.

As for tips on getting a good room it depends on what you want. At SSR if you want to be near the center of the action request The Springs section but be aware that it is the last bus stop in the resort before heading back out to the resorts. If you want the 1st bus stop request The Grandstand section. The Carousel section is the most remote section and has no pool (2nd bus stop). The Paddock section is the largest and has a new feature pool (3rd bus stop). Congress Park is the closest section to DTD and you can request a water/DTD view and there is a walkway to DTD (4th bus stop). We always request Congress Park.

At OKW if you want to be near the action request Hospitality House (its a booking category and it fills up quickly). Bus stop order is #1 Peninsular Road, #2 South Point, #3 Old Turtle Pond, #4 Miller's Road and #5 Hospitality House and then goes out to the parks. We always request Old Turtle Pond section.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

wonderrx

Original Poster
Hi Wonder, at that time of year, where you stay will be the least of your worries.

What exactly do you mean? I know it will be peak season and less than an ideal time to go, but that's what works for grandparents. Last year we pulled the kids out of school to go at minimal time.

Rob562

What exactly do you mean? I know it will be peak season and less than an ideal time to go, but that's what works for grandparents. Last year we pulled the kids out of school to go at minimal time.

They probably just mean the crowds in the parks. You may also want to make your decision ASAP on where you're staying and book it ASAP. If you're looking to rent DVC points for your stay, you may end up not having a choice and you'd end up with Saratoga (which tends to be the last DVC resort to fill up).

To quote David's Vacation Club Rentals page: "For June, July, August and December all room types book at least 8 months in advance."

-Rob

Todd L

Ive stayed at Both .

I Like SS for the proximity to Downtown.

Swimming in the Little Pool at congress park at Night with the amazing views of Downtown is a blast.

The Place is pretty Big . The Spa is supposed to be really nice but I havent used it personally so I dont know.

I LOVE Okw..Probably My favorite resort Ive stayed at so far.

The Rooms Are HUGE. Olivias is fantasic.
Gurgiling suitcase makes My all time favorite drink the Turle Crawl.
The Boat ride Downtown is really nice and great change of pace.

Seems very laid back in comparison to SS . To me anyway.

Neither is a bad choice. Have Fun!

wonderrx

Original Poster
We just got back from SSR and are staying at OKW the 1st week of June. We really like both resorts. Hope this helps.

Awesome info, we are leaning SSR, what was the status of the walking path to the marketplace and the new bridge when you were just there? Hear any timeline for when they would be done?

wonderrx

Original Poster
They probably just mean the crowds in the parks. You may also want to make your decision ASAP on where you're staying and book it ASAP. If you're looking to rent DVC points for your stay, you may end up not having a choice and you'd end up with Saratoga (which tends to be the last DVC resort to fill up).

To quote David's Vacation Club Rentals page: "For June, July, August and December all room types book at least 8 months in advance."

-Rob

I have those concerns, we are hopefully booking Monday.

Interestingly Small Wonder vacations price using our AAA discount for SSR is very competitive with David's rates, so if we can't get a David booking we will do Small Wonder. Only a few couple hundred dollar difference.

bubster

Awesome info, we are leaning SSR, what was the status of the walking path to the marketplace and the new bridge when you were just there? Hear any timeline for when they would be done?

Walking path is open and the bridge is coming along nicely but I have no timeline. There are some pictures on this site but it was a little further along than they show. I took some pictures but not sure how to post them here. SSR is a lovely resort and I'm sure you will love it. My grandkids all want to go back instead of OKW but we need the space as there will be 9 of us.

EOD K9

It's peak season, if that is what works, then great.

wonderrx

Original Poster
Walking path is open and the bridge is coming along nicely but I have no timeline. There are some pictures on this site but it was a little further along than they show. I took some pictures but not sure how to post them here. SSR is a lovely resort and I'm sure you will love it. My grandkids all want to go back instead of OKW but we need the space as there will be 9 of us.

So how does the walk from SSR to Downtown/Marketplace route currently, I have looked at some maps but don't really understand what is closed. We have used the bus stop many times so I am familiar with the area. I need to hunt down that photo gallery!

bubster

The walkway to DTD goes along the lake by Congress Park out to N. Buena Vista Drive. Then it's a short walk along the road, turn right and it takes you by the current MarketPlace bus stop into the MarketPlace by the Christmas Shop. They are building the bridge so you won't have to go all the way out to the road. Bridge will connect the current walkway to right behind the restrooms across from the Christmas Shop.

disneyfan56

Another consideration with OKW is the lack of elevators. The rooms on the third floor are three full flights of stairs. Not a big deal for healthy people, but at the end of a long day walking in the parks, they can be a killer. You might want to request a ground floor room in either resort.

wonderrx

Original Poster
The walkway to DTD goes along the lake by Congress Park out to N. Buena Vista Drive. Then it's a short walk along the road, turn right and it takes you by the current MarketPlace bus stop into the MarketPlace by the Christmas Shop. They are building the bridge so you won't have to go all the way out to the road. Bridge will connect the current walkway to right behind the restrooms across from the Christmas Shop.

First off you all on this forum have been awesome, thanks so much for offering your opinions!

Bubster how long do you estimate the walk to marketplace to be from the last building of rooms?

bubster

5 to 10 minutes depending on how fast you walk. The walkway/new bridge is really a nice feature to staying at SSR, especially near Congress Park. The Paddock buildings on that end are close. Even walking from the Springs is quicker than the boat. The boat is better if you want to go to West Side.

There is a water taxi that will take you to Pleasure Island from West Side but due to construction the MarketPlace dock is gone for now.

Rob562

Bubster how long do you estimate the walk to marketplace to be from the last building of rooms?

Using Gmaps Pedometer, the current walk from the closest building in Congress Park is 0.254 miles to the fountain near the Marketplace buses.

The same walk over the new bridge will be 0.1188 miles, so it's not really a huge time saver, but it's probably more to route pedestrians away from the vehicular traffic near the bus stops and whatever will be going in that spot when the bus stops are removed when Disney Springs is done.

-Rob

Todd L

Another consideration with OKW is the lack of elevators. The rooms on the third floor are three full flights of stairs. Not a big deal for healthy people, but at the end of a long day walking in the parks, they can be a killer. You might want to request a ground floor room in either resort.

Ive Only Stayed at OKW one time But My Building Had Elevators..Is that Not The Norm? I only remember becasue My son was still in the stroller so we would take the elevator everyday.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Having stayed at both, I can say that you will have a good time regardless! The rooms at OKW are larger if you prefer that. 1395 sq ft for OKW vs 1075 for SSR for the 2 bdr units. We found the bus service to be good at both resorts. We really like both Olivia's and the Turf Club restaurants. They both have boat service to DtD. Really it's almost a flip of a coin to see where you want to stay. We will be in a 3bdr Grand Villa at OKW in a few months with our 2 married boys and their new wives, but the trip after that will probably be at SSR in a 1 bdr, since it will just be my wife and I (yes, we get a 1 bdr just for the two of us!). For SSR, we always stay in the Grandstand section, since it has it's own pool with a pool bar, and is the first stop for pick-up/drop-off for the parks. Hope you have a great trip!

bubster

Ive Only Stayed at OKW one time But My Building Had Elevators..Is that Not The Norm? I only remember becasue My son was still in the stroller so we would take the elevator everyday.

From what I understand only 3 buildings at OKW have elevators. I think all 3 buildings are near the Hospitality House.

If you have mobility problems or if you are worried about strollers you can always request a building with an elevator or a ground floor villa.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom