Saratoga springs Refurb Video

Mike730

Last week I did a split stay at BCV & SSR and stayed in one of the refurbished studios in Congress Park. The trip as a whole was wonderful as usual, but I have to admit I was underwhelmed by the refurbed studio at SSR. I really was not expecting much (I chose SSR because of the price differential and Disney Springs) but I was a bit let down. For reference, I've stayed at 8 DVC properties over the years and seen many more. The only rooms I haven't seen in person are Riviera, Poly, GF, and Aulani. After writing I can see that review might seem a bit of a downer, but it is honest. Thanks for reading.

I was definitely more comfortable in the Beach Club studio, no question. I'll attach a video of the SSR room below that actually makes it seem pretty nice, but the vibe when actually staying there just doesn't do it for me. IMO it is cold and clinical and has some strange design choices. The room in one word: White. Between all the white walls, furniture, stone, towels and linens I felt like I was in that Willy Wonka scene with the shrinking room.

Main Room
All of the color for this room comes from one muted green wall, the muted green couch, and the brownish greenish murphy bed mural, all of which aren't particularly colorful to begin with. All other walls and trim are white and everything else in the room is white or some dark/colorless variant. Notably, the large wall across from the bed is entirely white with a large white dresser(couldn't at least be gray like the night tables?) and no art, just a mirror. The dresser had some obvious signs of wear already and a few of the drawers were noisy & difficult to open/close. When laying in bed or sitting on the couch, there is no color in your vision at all, only white and some black/dark brown. The window curtains are black and white.
The ceiling fan and dimmable lighting are a plus. The murphy bed is a cool concept and more comfortable than a pullout BUT IT IS NOT A QUEEN and not as comfortable as the main bed. It is more than likely a Full/Double size. This probably is not a big deal to most, but I'd personally be better off with a pullout because my feet will hang off the end of the murphy bed as it is 4-6 inches shorter than the queen. On a positive note, at least its all new and the room was very clean. The main mattress was comfortable, maybe not as much as the Beach Club.

Kitchen
Walls & Trim: White
Cabinets: White
Countertop: White
Sink: White
Backsplash: White
Closets and Doors: White
When you think about it, these were all conscious design decisions and IMO it is just strange. There is a great little night light built into one of the outlets. Normally I love this concept but in this case the two bright LEDs shined directly into the bedroom area at night and my friend on the murphy bed had to cover it nightly in order to fall asleep. On a positive note, everything in the kitchen area seemed sturdy and worked well including the appliances. The refrigerator worked better than the one at BCV. The microwave was great.

Vanity Area
Walls & Trim: White with a touch of muted green
Vanity: White
Countertop: White
Sink: White
Closets and Doors: White
Everything seemed to be of decent quality and the shapes/designs/hardware themselves are attractive but it was just so dang white and boring in conjunction with the rest of the room. There were some noticeable stains/scrapes in the white wall paint. Another one of those built in night lights was present here and was perfect for lighting the kitchen and vanity area. The other light was not necessary.

Toilet/Shower Room
I really like what they are going for here but again, a few hiccups. The tiled shower and tiled floor are very nice. They're a great brown and the design is pleasing. The towel bars and other hardware is great. The rain shower head with separate detachable head and the glass doors are nice touches that elevate this room to a luxury/deluxe level. However, there were glaring quality issues here. The tub spigot was nearly falling out of the wall, the corrugated metal on the detachable shower head was falling off exposing a yellowed vinyl hose, and the shower was difficult to turn on without a weird squealing noise and accompanied leaking coming from the spigot. My girlfriend and I devised a three handed technique where we would hold the spigot into the wall, pull up on the spigot plug, and then turn on the water slowly in order to get it to work properly. Eventually I replaced one of these hands with a foot and was able to do it on my own. The toilet is awkwardly tall, like one of those handicapped toilets, and the seat is uncomfortably bowl shaped. Disney rooms tend to have these tall toilets though. When sitting on the toilet, there is a large blank white wall in front of you. There are no pictures or art in this room. It would be nice to have one of those night light outlets in here.

To summarize, the room left me wanting but was sufficient for the few days we were there. I've stayed in worse and I've stayed in better. The problem is that I expect more than that out of Disney Deluxe rooms, especially ones that are essentially brand new. If considering design/comfort alone, I would put this room below most others on property. I'm disappointed to say that, because I think SSR could use a shot in the arm. Looking at other videos of the refurbished 1 & 2 bedrooms, it seems possible that their designs son't have the overly white and cold feeling of the studios. I know that this has been a common sentiment for the new OKW rooms as well. To end on a positive note, every single interaction with a cast member this trip was positive. (90% overwhelmingly so) It's often the human aspect that makes the stay special and that was certainly the case this time.

Last edited:

Seanual757

Does anyone know what areas are updated already. We stayed at in October in the Grandstand no updates to that area they were working in the Paddock buildings. Does anyone know if that area is completed now? Just trying to decide what area to request when we check in on Saturday. We prefer the Grandstand for the pool but it's going to be in the 50's so no chance of the kids swimming this trip.

nickys

Premium Member
Does anyone know what areas are updated already. We stayed at in October in the Grandstand no updates to that area they were working in the Paddock buildings. Does anyone know if that area is completed now? Just trying to decide what area to request when we check in on Saturday. We prefer the Grandstand for the pool but it's going to be in the 50's so no chance of the kids swimming this trip.
In December they were working on both Paddock and Caousel. I don’t know which buildings are done but as far as I’m aware, neither section is complete yet.

The permits were filed for all 4 buildings in Grandstand but the expiration dates are for May through to July. That’s the last section to be done.

Seanual757

Has there been an update at Saratoga? We are staying in December in a 1 bedroom and hoping it will be all done?

Just checked out on Sunday from SSR from a 7 day stay. The only section not completed with the referb is the carousel buildings and those will be fully completed in a few weeks per the front desk at SSR.

We were in the Grandstand in a 2BR across from the pool love the new rooms we were in the Springs in Jan also in a new referb room.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Just checked out on Sunday from SSR from a 7 day stay. The only section not completed with the referb is the carousel buildings and those will be fully completed in a few weeks per the front desk at SSR.

We were in the Grandstand in a 2BR across from the pool love the new rooms we were in the Springs in Jan also in a new referb room.
Good to know rooms refurbishment at The Paddock section is complete. Looking forward to our September stay. The new rooms look nice, I like what I've seen so far.

Thanks for the update!

Seanual757

Good to know rooms refurbishment at The Paddock section is complete. Looking forward to our September stay. The new rooms look nice, I like what I've seen so far.

Thanks for the update!

No problem have a good rip we are back for Labor Day weekend for 4 days we will ask for the Grandstand we love being close to the pool, quick walk to the main building and pool, and it's the 1st bus stop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom