Sanford Airport to WDW

laura_<3

Original Poster
Hi everyone, I'm new to the boards (hopefully this is posted in the right place) I was just wondering if anyone knew if there are transfers available from Sanford airport to the WDW property.

My boyfriend and I are planning on going to WDW in September next year, however my boyfriend (who will be 21 when we go) is reluctant to drive in the US.

If there aren't transfers I guess a taxi would be plan B, but I'm guessing that a taxi from Sanford to WDW would be expensive.

Can anyone help? :shrug:

dxwwf3

I used American Coach Lines for our trip in June and it was $150 for round trip for 3 of us, so I would assume that it is $50 a person for a round trip transfer from SFB to WDW. We stayed at Pop Century and only made one stop at Coronado Springs before getting to our resort and it took us about 45 minutes. And to be honest, it felt like about 20 minutes so it's not a bad ride.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Welcome aboard :wave:

Taxi from Sanford to WDW - nearly as expensive as your airfare from UK - USA :ROFLOL: Seriously, it will be very expensive.

Tell your boyfriend that driving in the US is far easier than driving in the UK - just have a decent map or sat nav and away you go

harrneil

Hi Laura,

Yes Sanford is a good 45-50 minutes from WDW and the taxi fares will be high. I travel from the UK to Orlando every december and have used almost every airline. I now only use Virgin from Manchester as the convenience of flying into MCO (Orlando International) is worth loads.

I have been told by friends on a number of occasions that they are going to travel to florida and will fly with TC, MY Travel, Travel City etc. etc. into Sanford as this is the cheapest route. On all but one occasion we checked the prices with virgin and they were either cheaper or the same for the same dates.

Check the Virgin Atlantic website, check the Virgin Holidays website (their flydrives are often less than just buying the flights from VA direct!) do anything you can to avoid the misery of flying into and out of Sanford. I have been there in September and it gets very crowded, It is a small airport (very small) and really cannot handle all the UK traffic.

I hope this info is of assistance, I don't want to sound negative, Orlando is a fantastic place for a fantastic holiday, but sometimes people don't even try the big boys (BA, VA) as they think they will be too expensive. Also sometimes travel agents in the UK try to make out that Sanford is a dream and MCO is a nightmare! This is because they make a commission from selling My Travel, First Choice etc. and less from Virgin.

Hope you have a great holiday.

Neil.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
If I can drive in the UK, your boyfriend can drive in the US :)

miles1

Also sometimes travel agents in the UK try to make out that Sanford is a dream and MCO is a nightmare! This is because they make a commission from selling My Travel, First Choice etc. and less from Virgin.

Neil.

JMHO, but having flown into MCO and Sanford from inside the US, Sanford is a dream and MCO is a nightmare. Unfortunately the one airline that flies into Sanford from my area discontinued the route last year, otherwise I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Sanford has no lines, pleasant helpful staff, and is still a direct, easy drive to WDW, if slightly longer.

Our last visit was about two weeks ago-we flew into MCO. (We are still recovering). The trip started with a one hour wait at the luggage claim, followed by a TWO HOUR fiasco at the car rental counter. When we left MCO, I was nearly in an accident returning the rental car at the airport, then a psycho skycap went ballistic on me for nothing. Our flight out was delayed THREE times, and while we were flying to New York, our luggage went on holiday in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

DW and I have decided that we are driving from New England next trip, rather than deal with this nonsense again.

And for the OP: Your boyfriend shouldn't be worried about driving here in the US. Many folks here drive on the wrong side of the road, so they would be on the right side of the road for you.

LetsGoAgain

Have they changed the rule that you have to be 25 to rent a vehicle? Well, I did a quick search at Alamo's website and found this.

Below are Alamo's policies on age requirements:

The primary renter of the vehicle must be 25 years of age, or for select corporate contracts and international tour accounts, the minimum age is 21.
Additional drivers must meet the same eligibility requirements as the Primary driver
All drivers must show a valid driver's license at time of rental.
Rental rates may be higher for renters aged 21 - 24. An additional daily fee may apply in most locations (except in New York, the fee is up to $70.82) for all drivers who do not meet the age requirements.

laura_<3

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. We booked up for Florida in May next year and paid £30 each for coach transfers through Thomas Cook.

Once again, thank you for all the advice! :)

DisneyFan1003

We flew into Sanford in July for the first time and the airport is fantastic! Our bags were literally coming out onto the carousel as we were getting into baggage claim!

On the suggestion of several friends here on the boards, we booked a towncar with Happy Limo and were very pleased with their service. They were waiting for us when we arrived and within minutes we were off to the resort. The total, with taxes, fees, etc. was about $175 plus tip. We'd use them again in a heartbeat!

Hope that helps!

PintoColvig

Just saw this thread and thought I'd comment since we're flying into SFB in Oct.

I called American Coach and was told that round trip ground transportation would be $60 per person. Since we'll have five in our travel party, we're opting for two one-way SUV rentals. Since you will be under 25, the American Coach may be your best bet.

As for flying into Sanford, it is a very easy airport especially compared to MCO. We're also flying in there on Allegiant Airlines and paying only $150 a person. Back in Sept. of last year, we flew Allegiant for $29 each way. I'll fly into Sanford every time for that kind of airfare.

sweetsugar

Thanks everyone. We booked up for Florida in May next year and paid £30 each for coach transfers through Thomas Cook.

Once again, thank you for all the advice! :)
my sis and I also booked to go to Florida in may next year, but booked with First choice. We are flying with Thomson fly though. When are you going?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom