Sammy Duvalls Watersports Leaving WDW 08/31/2018

brb1006

I remember all the cartoon posters showing people water skiing, swimming, fishing, sailing, golfing etc all around SSL and BL promoting the total package of vacation with MK as a portion of that. No longer.

aedf62a70c33fa9cd705d7a7b759c418.jpg
Remember when Walt Disney World used to have toparies at the Transportation and Ticket Center? Even before guests entered the park back then. Disney found a way to make new guests excited in small stuff like that.

brb1006

That is exactly what I fell in love with, the Walt Disney World Resort. It was the complete package. I never went parasailing, but I loved the idea of it -- and the boating.

I also remember the water ski SHOWS over the lake near the Polynesian, with jumps and everything you could see from the beach.

It's kind of like having Orange Bird at the time. WDW used to be marketed as not only a complete resort, with golf, tennis, horseback riding, and dinner shows (including one at the Contemporary), but it also highlighted the parts that were pure Florida (orange juice with Orange Bird, and the water activities, including the ski show, and white sand beaches).

There is no reason that they cannot still do that today. They are forgetting part of what made Walt Disney World much bigger and more diverse than Disneyland.
Remember when guests used to see Disney character water skiing? If guests were lucky back then, they might catch a glimpse of either Goofy or Pinocchio as they are heading to MK.

Here's footage of Pinocchio entertaining guests on the Ferry while water skiing in 1991.

Goofy from 1997

raymusiccity

Just means no more parasailing, water skiing, water-tubing, wave runners or water boarding rentals - at least for the time being. The pontoons, fishing excursions, dessert cruises and sea raycers weren't operated or booked through Sammy Duvall so those should still be available at the resort marinas.

So, I guess yes, no more water sports for the near future. I am sure someone else or Disney will take over at some point though.
Maybe they're just eliminating any activity that's considered 'trolling for alligators' ! :oops:

prberk

Remember when guests used to see Disney character water skiing? If guests were lucky back then, they might catch a glimpse of either Goofy or Pinocchio as they are heading to MK.

Here's footage of Pinocchio entertaining guests on the Ferry while water skiing in 1991.

Goofy from 1997

Again, when the Walt Disney World was a resort with amenities and "plussing" throughout, not just in the theme parks.

And as for the theme parks themselves -- remember when it was NORMAL for the MK to be open until 12 or 1 to all guests on a summer night?

Overall just a much better respect for the guests. Lots of entertainment options that were considerate of the guest and made money by attracting you overall as a resort (as opposed to each individual item) but weren't calculated to pull every dime from you for the lowest possible cost.

prberk

This is so true. I had never really thought of it in these terms, but it is the truth. It was one the "vacation kingdom," and I suppose that's still the case based on numbers. It just doesn't have that same feel anymore. I know a lot of people say they go to the hotels for a stay and never even go to the parks, but the resort experience has certainly shrunk in recent years. The map that John D posted says it all.
I have to think also that the crazy price increases for the theme parks have helped lead to that, in that people feel like once they have paid such a price for the parks they must stay there as long as they can to get their money's worth. It may feel like to some that relaxing in the resort area is wasting money.

Also, in the "old days," you could easily visit the resorts and explore. You can still do that using WDW transportation but less so by car. It's simply not encouraged by design any more.

AndyS2992

Thank you for your well-thought-out and eloquent addition to the conversation.
It’s a forum, and I’m merely giving my opinion on the news which I am allowed to do. I do not care about this disappearing from WDW and I shared my sentiments. I feel sorry for the employees losing their jobs but that’s about it. I could have written an essay on my opinion, which would have taken time for you to read or I could write a quick summarising one word answer to save you time, which I did, but you’re still angry :rolleyes: So meh.

brb1006

It’s a forum, and I’m merely giving my opinion on the news which I am allowed to do. I do not care about this disappearing from WDW and I shared my sentiments. I feel sorry for the employees losing their jobs but that’s about it. I could have written an essay on my opinion, which would have taken time for you to read or I could write a quick summarising one word answer to save you time, which I did, but you’re still angry :rolleyes: So meh.
Z7HeRxU.png

TP2000

I remember all the cartoon posters showing people water skiing, swimming, fishing, sailing, golfing etc all around SSL and BL promoting the total package of vacation with MK as a portion of that. No longer.

aedf62a70c33fa9cd705d7a7b759c418.jpg

I love that they put Scrooge McDuck out at the Toll Plaza collecting the parking fees! Someone had a sense of humor.

The sterile corporate "Disney" of today blogging at us from Celebration cubicle farms could never be that self-reverentially funny.

Jon81uk

Also, in the "old days," you could easily visit the resorts and explore. You can still do that using WDW transportation but less so by car. It's simply not encouraged by design any more

When there was only three resorts it was easy enough to park and one and move between them. With lots more including value priced options it leads to many many more people all trying to use limited resources.

Jambo Dad

Remember when Walt Disney World used to have toparies at the Transportation and Ticket Center? Even before guests entered the park back then. Disney found a way to make new guests excited in small stuff like that.
There is no doubt that the TTC is a barren wasteland at this point. Hopefully the rumored relocation will spark some new life in it.

matt9112

Curious to know what the future plans are for the watersports--whether another private concession will take over, or whether WDW will run it themselves.

I'm thinking most people's plans are to not go waterskiing in alligator infested waters.

I'm also thinking it may have something to do with why this is closing down. I would guess a lot of mom's are saying "no" to this. I would

lol knee jerk....its florida......keep your eyes open and in the non disney cases your rifle close and you will be fine. some of the small Florida rivers are great. gators arent known to jump out at people on a pseeding boat like lake placid lol.

prberk

When there was only three resorts it was easy enough to park and one and move between them. With lots more including value priced options it leads to many many more people all trying to use limited resources.

Now come on, "limited resources"? Remember "the blessing of size" at WDW.

If they can cram 10,000 more people into the Magic Kingdom to squeeze a few more dollars out of them, they can handle 10 or 20 a day (or maybe even 100) each day that might actually WANT to explore a value hotel just to see it while their kids run over to the MK for rope drop. And each larger resort can handle plenty of visitors during a day.

What is obvious is that the people running this division have forgotten the "resort" part of the operation; and it really should not be forgotten. Not just for those of us who love what WDW was first built to be, but also because it just makes sense. The more people enjoying resort features (golf, sports, horseback riding, shopping, resort restaurants, swimming), the more people who spend money in those areas and leave room for even more people in the theme parks. So, even from a pure business consideration it makes sense to use a broader array of your assets than just a few.

Remember all the talk about using FastPass+ to redistribute the crowd within the parks to maximize value? Think of the possibilities if some of those folks found ways to spend money and time in WDW outside of the parks. Back when the resort was emphasized (even through the monorail experience riding in through the Contemporary), you didn't need a billion dollar electronic device to encourage people to do other things than just Space Mountain on a busy day.

SGarv

I'm very sad to read about this. I parasailed years back on a trip and was jut talking about this with my 6yo and saying I would love to go tandem with him on one of our upcoming trips. I'm very bummed!

Jon81uk

Now come on, "limited resources"? Remember "the blessing of size" at WDW.

If they can cram 10,000 more people into the Magic Kingdom to squeeze a few more dollars out of them, they can handle 10 or 20 a day (or maybe even 100) each day that might actually WANT to explore a value hotel just to see it while their kids run over to the MK for rope drop. And each larger resort can handle plenty of visitors during a day.

What is obvious is that the people running this division have forgotten the "resort" part of the operation; and it really should not be forgotten. Not just for those of us who love what WDW was first built to be, but also because it just makes sense. The more people enjoying resort features (golf, sports, horseback riding, shopping, resort restaurants, swimming), the more people who spend money in those areas and leave room for even more people in the theme parks. So, even from a pure business consideration it makes sense to use a broader array of your assets than just a few.

Remember all the talk about using FastPass+ to redistribute the crowd within the parks to maximize value? Think of the possibilities if some of those folks found ways to spend money and time in WDW outside of the parks. Back when the resort was emphasized (even through the monorail experience riding in through the Contemporary), you didn't need a billion dollar electronic device to encourage people to do other things than just Space Mountain on a busy day.

But if everyone staying at a value resort decided to explore the Polynesian and the entertainment available there, it means the people staying at the Poly are going to experience things being a lot more crowded.

Sammy Duvell and the watersports is different as it is a significant additional cost and only at the contempory.

But why should Disney encourage those at the value resorts to explore the other resorts? Back when it was just two hotels and a campground everyone was there on a more even basis, although the campground was cheaper it made sense to allow people to explore between the small number of offerings as the campground offered Hoop Dee Doo but the Poly offered other entertainment etc.

But now there is no real reason for someone staying at the Poly to go and visit the All Star resorts so it is more of a one-way visit. 'Ohana is already packed, there is no real need to encourage guests in value hotels to visit the deluxe. Also off-site guests should not be able to park for free at the hotels.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom