Sammy Duvalls Watersports Leaving WDW 08/31/2018

Imagineerwannabe

Original Poster
Posted today on their own website announcing:

“To all our fans and families who have enjoyed a day on the water with us a great thank you for the support. It has been a joy to share the sport we love with everyone along the way!
We are sorry to inform you that after 20 years of water sports operations at Walt Disney World our last day will be 8/31/2018.

Accordingly, if you have a future prepaid reservation we are issuing a refund to the credit card used for your reservation.If you have a future non paid reservation you will be receiving a email cancellation notification today as well. If you have any questions regarding your refund you may contact 407-939-0754”

crxbrett

Does this mean no more water sports, or just no more Sammy Duvalls?

Just means no more parasailing, water skiing, water-tubing, wave runners or water boarding rentals - at least for the time being. The pontoons, fishing excursions, dessert cruises and sea raycers weren't operated or booked through Sammy Duvall so those should still be available at the resort marinas.

So, I guess yes, no more water sports for the near future. I am sure someone else or Disney will take over at some point though.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Posted today on their own website announcing:

“To all our fans and families who have enjoyed a day on the water with us a great thank you for the support. It has been a joy to share the sport we love with everyone along the way!
We are sorry to inform you that after 20 years of water sports operations at Walt Disney World our last day will be 8/31/2018.

Accordingly, if you have a future prepaid reservation we are issuing a refund to the credit card used for your reservation.If you have a future non paid reservation you will be receiving a email cancellation notification today as well. If you have any questions regarding your refund you may contact 407-939-0754”

Well, that's a surprise. Years ago , I went parasailing from the dock at the Contemporary. I also rented one of those small Mouse Boats (or Sea Raycers, I think they're called now) from there. I think Sammy Duvall's also had that part of the concession, but I'm not sure. (Perhaps someone else could weigh in on that.)

Curious to know what the future plans are for the watersports--whether another private concession will take over, or whether WDW will run it themselves.

docdebbi

Curious to know what the future plans are for the watersports--whether another private concession will take over, or whether WDW will run it themselves.

I'm thinking most people's plans are to not go waterskiing in alligator infested waters.

I'm also thinking it may have something to do with why this is closing down. I would guess a lot of mom's are saying "no" to this. I would

Jambo Joe

I'm thinking most people's plans are to not go waterskiing in alligator infested waters.

I'm also thinking it may have something to do with why this is closing down. I would guess a lot of mom's are saying "no" to this. I would
That would be my take as well. It certainly prevented me from taking my family out on the lake in anything but a boat.

deeevo

The waters are not alligator infested now that Disney has been removing them from their habitat. Also they don't swim around looking to eat people. A gator can be anywhere there is a body of water. I took this picture yesterday morning during my run. I run on this sidewalk every morning and he happen to be hanging out in the ditch on the side of the road.

1535619359924.png

JohnD

The ‘Resort’ of WDW yesteryear is transitioning nicely into theme park land.

I know that’s a hyperbole. But I much preferred WDW when it was marketed as a Resort, instead of a series of theme parks as in its current state.

I remember all the cartoon posters showing people water skiing, swimming, fishing, sailing, golfing etc all around SSL and BL promoting the total package of vacation with MK as a portion of that. No longer.

aedf62a70c33fa9cd705d7a7b759c418.jpg

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

Tripled insurance rates can surely put a hit into staying profitable. Sad to see them go. I have had many enjoyably trips with Sammy Duvalls Watersports included in with the fun. Unfortunately DS and I were not able to do the parasailing in May and we talked about doing it on a return trip. Thanks for providing us with many years of great fun filled moments !!!

prberk

I remember all the cartoon posters showing people water skiing, swimming, fishing, sailing, golfing etc all around SSL and BL promoting the total package of vacation with MK as a portion of that. No longer.

aedf62a70c33fa9cd705d7a7b759c418.jpg

That is exactly what I fell in love with, the Walt Disney World Resort. It was the complete package. I never went parasailing, but I loved the idea of it -- and the boating.

I also remember the water ski SHOWS over the lake near the Polynesian, with jumps and everything you could see from the beach.

It's kind of like having Orange Bird at the time. WDW used to be marketed as not only a complete resort, with golf, tennis, horseback riding, and dinner shows (including one at the Contemporary), but it also highlighted the parts that were pure Florida (orange juice with Orange Bird, and the water activities, including the ski show, and white sand beaches).

There is no reason that they cannot still do that today. They are forgetting part of what made Walt Disney World much bigger and more diverse than Disneyland.

Surfin' Tuna

The ‘Resort’ of WDW yesteryear is transitioning nicely into theme park land.

I know that’s a hyperbole. But I much preferred WDW when it was marketed as a Resort, instead of a series of theme parks as in its current state.

This is so true. I had never really thought of it in these terms, but it is the truth. It was one the "vacation kingdom," and I suppose that's still the case based on numbers. It just doesn't have that same feel anymore. I know a lot of people say they go to the hotels for a stay and never even go to the parks, but the resort experience has certainly shrunk in recent years. The map that John D posted says it all.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom