Salt & Straw coming to DTD!

mickEblu

I think it's the crazy combos?

I don’t know what those are. I just remember showing up to the city walk one drunk and we must of ordered a dozen and a half donuts. We didn’t realize we were eating and trying them all at the cash register while the line was well out the door. Anyway, We were all drunk and STILL thought they sucked so that’s saying something.

tonymu

Premium Member
https://www.ocregister.com/2018/04/24/salt-straw-coming-to-downtown-disney/

>>The look of the shop will be created by Andee Hess of Portland-based Osmose Design with a bit of a nostalgic twist that seems an ideal fit with Disney’s Americana esthetic.

“When I met with Andee I said we want to create great community gathering places, a place you run into your neighbor or the farmer who’s been out harvesting the strawberries you’re going to eat,” Malek said. “She said, ‘Let’s interpret that as a modern day mercantile that’s special to Salt & Straw.’”

Much research on décor and product has already begun: Salt & Straw does not bring a menu of flavors from Portland but creates a whole new set specifically aimed at local tastes.

“When we enter a new city, we work for a year or two in advance to get to know farmers, the yogurt maker or coffee roaster, charcuterie sellers and brewers, and we do flavors that reflect the locals,” she said. “We will definitely have some signature ideas for Orange County and for Downtown Disney, so it’s going to be a really fun, unique menu.”

As for what to expect, Scott Brothers Dairy, a family-owned farm in Southern California, will make the proprietary ice cream base. Then Tyler Malek will create the flavors with local, organic and sustainable ingredients, engineering each one right down to the add-ins. The brittle in the Almond Brittle with Salted Ganache is baked at a lower temperature so that it still retains crunch when frozen. Similarly, the brownies in the Chocolate Gooey Brownie are baked with marshmallow fluff so that they retain a cake-like texture rather than freezing into tooth endangering bits of chocolate brick.<<

>>Prices are not yet available for the Downtown Disney location but Los Angeles scoop shops charge $10.50 for a pint; $3.90 for a kid’s scoop; $4.90 for a single scoop (add 50 cents for two flavors); and $6.90 for a double.<<

Good history recap of the chain at the link.
You would think someone from Disney might go... Ahem, it's going into Disney Springs.... Downtown Disney doesn't exist anymore....

Curious Constance

I don’t know what those are. I just remember showing up to the city walk one drunk and we must of ordered a dozen and a half donuts. We didn’t realize we were eating and trying them all at the cash register while the line was well out the door. Anyway, We were all drunk and STILL thought they sucked so that’s saying something.
Like putting Froot Loops all over the top of a donut.

TP2000

Voodoo Doughnuts isn’t that great. I’d rather get my doughnuts from Sparky’s when I’m at CityWalk.

According to my young family members, the magic of Voodoo Donuts in Portland circa 2005 was that you had just been booted out of a bar at 2AM onto a drizzly Portland sidewalk in a semi-sketchy part of downtown that was gentrifying but was still grungy enough to feel a tad scary. You had met a girl/guy at the bar, but weren't quite drunk enough and/or enamored enough to end up at their apartment, so instead you fumbled around with an invite to walk two blocks over to Voodoo Donuts to stand in line in the drizzle and keep talking while you got a giant carb-sugar bomb of a donut at a weird punk rock donut shop.

The extra time it took to wait in line on the sidewalk in the drizzle for the donuts with all the other drunken bar patrons either meant you connected enough with the new girl/guy to take the donuts back to their apartment and do what a young lady donut fan and a young gentleman donut fan naturally do at that hour of the morning.... or you sobered up enough to realize the new girl/guy wasn't quite worth the wait for the donuts and you said your polite goodbyes in the drizzle and went home.

Again, Voodoo Donuts is a concept that works much better at 2AM on a drizzly sidewalk in downtown Portland.

IMG_5964(pp_w980_h653).jpg

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Original Poster
VooDoo is definitely more about the experience than quality of donut. See photo in post above.

I've had them in Portland back in 2011 and it was great. Having them again in Universal just wasn't the same.

Curious Constance

According to my young family members, the magic of Voodoo Donuts in Portland circa 2005 was that you had just been booted out of a bar at 2AM onto a drizzly Portland sidewalk in a semi-sketchy part of downtown that was gentrifying but was still grungy enough to feel a tad scary. You had met a girl/guy at the bar, but weren't quite drunk enough and/or enamored enough to end up at their apartment, so instead you fumbled around with an invite to walk two blocks over to Voodoo Donuts to stand in line in the drizzle and keep talking while you got a giant carb-sugar bomb of a donut at a weird punk rock donut shop.

The extra time it took to wait in line on the sidewalk in the drizzle for the donuts with all the other drunken bar patrons either meant you connected enough with the new girl/guy to take the donuts back to their apartment and do what a young lady donut fan and a young gentleman donut fan naturally do at that hour of the morning.... or you sobered up enough to realize the new girl/guy wasn't quite worth the wait for the donuts and you said your polite goodbyes in the drizzle and went home.

Again, Voodoo Donuts is a concept that works much better at 2AM on a drizzly sidewalk in downtown Portland.

IMG_5964(pp_w980_h653).jpg

Man, I'm so sick of seeing this guy! lol

TP2000

I wonder when Haagen-Dazs will close? I'm fine with this closure, especially the loss of another piece of Downtown Disney's kitschy late 1990's mall vibe with the signage and wacky props bolted to the wall. That giant fiberglass creepy clown chef next door at Naples is going soon too. Good riddance 1990's whimsy!

DLR-18_0501-C-DtD-0009.jpg

DonaldDoleWhip

Finally had a chance to try the Downtown Disney Salt & Straw (after visiting their locations in LA, SF, Portland, and SD).

Verdict: the ice cream is just as good here, and easily the best at Disneyland.

Only downside is there’s slightly less variety than at most S&S locations (for instance, only 3 seasonal flavors instead of 5), but there are still more than enough to satisfy. Also, the signature flavor consists of Lucky Charms and cereal milk. It’s sweet, colorful, nostalgic, and a perfect fit for DL.

90DBCEBE-3E3F-494B-96E5-A8DE367CFFC7.jpeg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom