Salt & Straw coming to DTD!

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Original Poster
Sorry Gibson Girl...you're about to have some real competition:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...d-resort/?CMP=SOC-DPFY18Q2wo0419180425180017C

So if anyone doesn't know about S&S, they're a Portland-based hipster ice cream company with locations scattered along the west coast from San Diego to Seattle. They're not your average creamery and specialize in unique flavor offerings like:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 10.33.46 AM.png

And they frequently do specialty flavors like:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 10.36.07 AM.png

I firmly expect this place to be PACKED with youths on their phones who want to up their street cred, but aren't cool enough to visit their regular stores. Having said that, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't excited. This and Jeni's make ice cream worth eating.

Universal has their hipster-Portland-based-eatery in the form of VooDoo Donuts, so it was only a matter of time before Disney wanted in on the action.

Last edited:

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Original Poster
As evil as "olive brittle and goat cheese."

Goat cheese is one of my all-time favorite foods, but that's not ice cream. It's like the people who brew "craft beer" with chicken beaks and gym socks. Pass.
Well, if the exotic is not your thing, I'd still highly recommend their Chocolate Gooey Brownie or the Roasted Strawberry and Toasted White Chocolate.

DonaldDoleWhip

They put avocado in chocolate ice cream. How evil can you get?
Avocado isn't an inherently savory food, but it is very creamy and buttery. It's increasingly common as an ingredient in baked goods (brownies, pudding, etc.) and could totally work in ice cream.

Much like Ample Hills in NYC, Salt & Straw is a major force on the West Coast and the quality is there. Huge win for Downtown Disney.

Rich T

Avocado isn't an inherently savory food, but it is very creamy and buttery. It's increasingly common as an ingredient in baked goods (brownies, pudding, etc.) and could totally work in ice cream.
Avocado is inherently a *gross* food. Kidding. I just don't want to *taste* an avocado in my ice cream. :D
I'm a West Coaster who's never heard of these guys before. I feel like Jed Clampett now. Jed Clampett without the millions.

Hatbox Ghostbuster

Original Poster
I'm fully expecting some Disney-centric creations for this location, as well as the standards.

One neat thing about them is their community involvement. Currently, they're running a "Student Inventor Series" where they go to local schools and lets kids create their own flavors. That's how (in LA at least) you end up with stuff like this:

Screen Shot 2018-04-24 at 11.32.27 AM.png

DonaldDoleWhip

Avocado is inherently a *gross* food. Kidding. I just don't want to *taste* an avocado in my ice cream. :D
I'm a West Coaster who's never heard of these guys before. I feel like Jed Clampett now. Jed Clampett without the millions.
Can totally understand that! My first experience with avocado was trying Cobb salad (as an 8-year-old), and it scarred me for years. That mushy texture, blended with the flavor of blue cheese (which I still hate) and overly soft tomatoes - yikes. Took me a while to give avocados and tomatoes a chance, but I'm glad I did.

Even if you completely avoid the weird flavors, S&S is worth experiencing. Vanilla, Chocolate, Sea Salt Caramel - the foundations are there. And they're good.

mistyj

Oh, my! Salt and Straw is amazing! They are known for their infinite patience while guests sample their flavors. That way, if you're unsure about a combination, you won't waste your money (or calories) getting something you don't like.

And at Disneyland, at least I'll already have a parking space, unlike their location in Venice...

Ismael Flores

oh man, Avocado icecream and smoothies are so good. Have you ever tried it or does the idea just throw you off?

Stevek

Interesting given that Haagen-Dazs has a location in DTD...which is pretty much right in the middle. Where do you put another ice cream shop where it doesn't infringe on HD too much?

dweezil78

Have you ever had avocado margaritas at Epcot??? I was hesitant, but am now a believer! Avocado, by itself, is really just a pretty bland but very creamy fruit (yes, it's a fruit!) that gets activated when paired with other flavors. I suspect it's actually pretty good in an ice cream and adds some extra creaminess to it.

TP2000

Salt & Straw was created in Portland and I've been to their shop in downtown Portland, and it truly is something special. I'm thrilled they are coming to Downtown Disney. I'd be happy for them to replace Wetzel's Pretzels. But maybe Haagen Dazs is going away.

I really like the new direction Downtown Disney is headed; getting rid of the bland corporate chains and going for more of these stylish and local offerings.

SSG

Sorry Gibson Girl...you're about to have some real competition:
https://disneyparks.disney.go.com/b...d-resort/?CMP=SOC-DPFY18Q2wo0419180425180017C

So if anyone doesn't know about S&S, they're a Portland-based hipster ice cream company with locations scattered along the west coast from San Diego to Seattle. They're not your average creamery and specialize in unique flavor offerings like:

View attachment 280236

What about Curry and Mint Chip? No Caramel Balsamic? What about Praline and Beard Trimmings? And they call themselves hipster.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom