Safety Features on rides!

JAY-ROD

Original Poster
On Ride of the following!

Space MT, BTM,RnR, TT, ToT

What safety feature does these coaster have if they did come off the track. What if ToT actually fell from the top with nothing holding us? What prevents TT from coming off the track and if it did whats the safty plan to ensure us? Thanks

woofboy111

I'm not 100% sure on these, but this is what I've heard. On Tower of Terror, there are emergency brakes that will kick in if the car does actually drop. If these fail, then the car will just fall and hit these very large springs that will coshin your fall enough to bounce you back up and down until you finally settle gently down.

Roller coasters seem very unlikely to come off of the track, mostly because the rails are surrounded by wheels. The only way I could see an accident on a coaster, is if a rail falls of of the car, letting it leave the track then. I'm not sure what would happen to all of the other cars...

On test track, below the "road," there is a rollercoaster track and car that the cars that you ride in are attached to. So, if something like I said above with the roller coasters happened, the car would be less likely from flying hundreds of feet off of the roadway, because besides from just the track, there is the "road" that you're riding on too to hold you down.

Hope this helped a little.:)

Nice Job

Giid answers woofboy.....on the roller coasters, the track is surrounded on three sides by wheels.....and then they are on each the left and right side so they are really locked on....but I think PM is what keeps them the safest.......Preventive Maintenance...checking it all out everyday predicting problems...also I here the Tower of Teror has 3 braking system--main and 2 back ups!!!

ToTBellHop

I would imagine the Tower of Terror elevators, like any elevators, have the cable attached to a couple rods attached to each side of the elevator's roof that intersect. These rods are highly flexible, so when the elevator is attached, these rods are pulled up. Now, at the other end is a brake. When the elevator is attacked to the cable, these brakes are pulled in (because the rods they are attached to are pulled up). If the cable snaps, these rods slam down, and it sounds like the roof of the elevator has exploded (the rods slam into the roof). However, simultaneously, the brakes fly out, ram into the side of the elevator shaft where there are holes, and the elevator stops. These were made by a guy who's last name was Otis, that's why many elevators say "Otis" on the floor.
Kyle

CrashNet

Safety Features on the Tower of Terror

Many of you were right so I am going to put it all together for you. The tower of terror does have three braking systems. One is the typical elevator shaft protection system. The second is a powerful magnet braking system. The magnets are powered in an emergency. The elevator cab has two magnet bars placed vertically in on the back of the elevator. The two bars are between two sets of magnets bars located on the shaft wall. The ones on the wall attract the ones on the elevator cab in an emergency and stop the cab. If all else fails, the bottom of the shaft is made up of very large springs pressurised by oil. If the elevator hits them, the springs contract, absorbing the energy and transferred to the oil which in turn, slows the car down.

MGMBoy

R'n'RC also has two or three stop points. If something were to happen these stop points catch the next car to hit them. There are emergency stairs down off these platforms and arrows painted on the floor to show you the way out. These platforms are easy to tell where they're at. The points where you go over slower, level ground are the points I'm talking about. I know there are two but there could be three. Otherwise the launch and unload points are able to hold each and every car. (Two in the tunnel before unload, one at unload, one before load, and one at load)

MGMBoy

Oh one more thing...The car in launch mode will not leave until the car ahead of it has crossed the first stop point. Makes sense when you think about it. That way they can be sure that everything stays safe. In fact, I'm pretty sure the stop points are able to slow down a car if for some resaon the one ahead hasn't passed the next stop point. Making sense? Good. :)

Rider

For coasters it is the following:

Block-Break system: Every coaster is dived into different sections (seperated by station, breaks, or lift). Only one coaster can be in a block at one time. If another coaster is about to enter a block still full the breaks stop it.

Anti-Roll backs: On coasters with chain lifts there are small "teeth" on the track. On the cars are little "arms" to catch the teeth. The way it is set up allows the train to go up but not down.

And each train has wheels on three sides to keep from coming off the rails:

|| ||
=O O=
|| ||

Node

That would be too scary, "oh cr#p, we're dropping too far, why aren't we slowing down! Oh nOooooooooooooooooooo...." then you just hit some very hard but semi-safe springs. that would be too much for me, I think I would cry :king:

CrashNet

True

Yeah I have heard that it is not the best experience in the world. Keep in mind it is designed to stop a free-falling elevator. I don't think they could create a safety system that would keep you from getting banged up a little.

Tom Morrow

Originally posted by Rider
For coasters it is the following:
Anti-Roll backs: On coasters with chain lifts there are small "teeth" on the track. On the cars are little "arms" to catch the teeth. The way it is set up allows the train to go up but not down.
Yes, the Anti-Rollbacks are what create that clanking noise on the lift hill.

Thespis

Hmmmm
Everything I've read about TOT said that the "elevator" car is not only pulled up by cables but also pulled down as well. In other words, there is no actual free fall. You're always supported by the tension between the cables.
But, I've been wrong before...
:)

CrashNet

Originally posted by Thespis
Hmmmm
Everything I've read about TOT said that the "elevator" car is not only pulled up by cables but also pulled down as well. In other words, there is no actual free fall. You're always supported by the tension between the cables.
But, I've been wrong before...
:)

No, your right. You are pulled down as well as up. By pulling you down you experience a force stronger than the force of gravity, making it more fun and at the same time, easier for Disney to reprogram TOT whenever they want.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom