Safari Changes

sambahat

The part about the sensors is totally true. My source (veteran of the WDW transportation system) tells me that there are indeed plans on fitting sensors onto select animals. To make it easier to recognize, said animals will have little Stitch costumes. The challenge has been keeping the animals cool in the dead heat of the Florida summer. The attraction will be renamed "Stitch's Wild Safari."

Hope this helps...

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
The part about the sensors is totally true. My source (veteran of the WDW transportation system) tells me that there are indeed plans on fitting sensors onto select animals. To make it easier to recognize, said animals will have little Stitch costumes. The challenge has been keeping the animals cool in the dead heat of the Florida summer. The attraction will be renamed "Stitch's Wild Safari."

Hope this helps...

Perhaps Super soakers with dye could be used in the summer months as this would provide some coolant for the targets

ToTBellHop

So I guess if you hit Little Red, you get like a million points, right?

Wilson: "Big Red's been shot! But, she's only worth 50 points...find Little Red NOW!!! Shoot! SHOOOOOOOOOT!" Oh, this is so tasteless...but I've heard when they put the Tommies in Stitch costumes, it's VERY convincing.

Rob562

Sorry but I am simply offended when a company like Disney tried to "educate" regarding animal welfare. This is the same Disney that released the totally bogus movie showing little lemmings jumping off into the sea. The audience was led to believe that lemmings would do such a thing of their own accord. They ignored the fact that bulldozers had to be used to herd them to their death. So thinking I or anyone else should learn about conservation from Disney is like asking doctors to learn ethics from Dr. Mengele.

The bottom line is I go to Disney for entertainment and the loud squawking story disturbs my entertainment. It disturbed it the first time I rode the ride and I'm sure it will the 10th time I ride it.

Just remember, the lemming thing happened when Walt himself was still in charge of the company... (It was also 50 years ago.... People, companies and society itself changes...)

Not trying to defend them, because it was a horrible thing to do, but to get the facts straight, there weren't any bulldozers... The entire film was shot with only a couple dozen lemmings total, though apparently most of them did die.

-Rob

pcf1385

This may stir up controversy, but I just think that if you don't like the story then either ignore it or don't ride the ride. I'm afraid of big drops, would love to go on everest, but don't because duh, I'm afraid of big drops! I don't ask disney to take out the big drop, I just go on things that cater to my interests. There are plenty of other rides that don't talk about conservation or have "stupid" stories, so just enjoy those instead. And for that matter, busch gardens does (or at least did) have a safari ride, not like disney's, but just one where you ride through and see animals. So if all else fails, go there instead. I know that I will be strung up for this, but I just think that sometimes things get taken to seriously. You're on vacation, and no one is forcing you to do anything. You don't have to go to animal kingdom, disney is not the only place with a safari type ride, and really why ask disney to take something away that other's enjoy. How mad do people get when disney makes rides more pc and less adult to cater to complaints about things being appropriate for children. Really, this is the same thing. Just enjoy your vacay and do what you like and don't do what you don't like. Have a magical day:wave:

sambahat

This may stir up controversy, but I just think that if you don't like the story then either ignore it or don't ride the ride. I'm afraid of big drops, would love to go on everest, but don't because duh, I'm afraid of big drops! I don't ask disney to take out the big drop, I just go on things that cater to my interests. There are plenty of other rides that don't talk about conservation or have "stupid" stories, so just enjoy those instead. And for that matter, busch gardens does (or at least did) have a safari ride, not like disney's, but just one where you ride through and see animals. So if all else fails, go there instead. I know that I will be strung up for this, but I just think that sometimes things get taken to seriously. You're on vacation, and no one is forcing you to do anything. You don't have to go to animal kingdom, disney is not the only place with a safari type ride, and really why ask disney to take something away that other's enjoy. How mad do people get when disney makes rides more pc and less adult to cater to complaints about things being appropriate for children. Really, this is the same thing. Just enjoy your vacay and do what you like and don't do what you don't like. Have a magical day:wave:

Well... that pretty much ends this thread doesn't it? As much as I don't care for the story line, I'm not sure how to argue this point.

Hmmmm..... um.....

...sighs...

Anyone up for a Dole Whip?

Bratstarman

You have it so wrong...

I like the idea of fitting sensors to the animals and giving guests weapons laser firing attachments ( a bit like battlefield training weapons), the ride could then be themed to a Big Game hunt of the early 20s and 30s. The animals could be graded in a points system with the harder to hit creatures being worth more. If you get to a certain score you get a free pin.
This "rumor" upsets me because it is so wrong. I heard from a monorail driver that they are going to fit the animals with animatronic heads with moving mouths. That way when someone refers to "Thompson's Gazelles", they will pop up their heads and say "You can call us Tommies". The zebra will say "Willlburrrr", the camels will say "I want a Clark Bar". Finally when we get to Big Red, we will hear "Dag nab it... I'm not a gum... I'm an elephant". It will be rebranded as "Kilimanjaro Laugh Factory". What a laugh riot! I can't wait.

Liverstealer

Original Poster

Well said.

RSoxNo1

Just remember, the lemming thing happened when Walt himself was still in charge of the company... (It was also 50 years ago.... People, companies and society itself changes...)

Not trying to defend them, because it was a horrible thing to do, but to get the facts straight, there weren't any bulldozers... The entire film was shot with only a couple dozen lemmings total, though apparently most of them did die.

-Rob

What was this lemming thing you guys are talking about?

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I appreciate a sarcastic comment as well as anyone, but am I the only one getting tired of every post from him/her contributing nothing to the conversations?

I get sick of people asking dumb questions that could be answered by dexterous use of google.

Im not keen on cabbage either.

Perhaps you could become a thread monitor?

I think some of the complaints are based on the fact that the story sounds like it was written by PETA. I know some people hunt and I know some people do not, people that do hunt probably don't like the fact that the ride puts hunters in a bad light. Yes not all hunter are poachers but then the logic of a little kids isn't always perfect and they may start asking daddy why he poaches animals.

What was this lemming thing you guys are talking about?

It relates to a movie Disney made called "The Wild Wilderness" or something like that back in 1958. In the movie it shows lemmings running off a cliff and killing themselves in the raging ocean below. The movie claimed that they were committing suicide because their numbers had become too great or some such reason. The fact was a little less romantic as the film was shot in Alberta Canada where there were no lemmings. The lemmings were imported and to make the dramatic death plunge, the lemmings were herded over the cliff by bulldozers. A bit of old school movie magic that probably wouldn't be endorsed by the humane society in this day and age.

-Rob

I wasn't alive in 1958 when the movie was shot so I have to accept other accounts of the act. In all the ones I've heard or read they used bulldozers. Maybe they did, maybe they just had a bunch of folks chasing them with sticks. In the end I don't think it really mattered to the lemmings as they died just the same.

So for the same creative license that old Walt used when he made the movie, it seems fitting that I leave in the bulldozers. Maybe someday footage will surface showing just how they killed the lemmings (coaxed them to suicide if you will), when that day comes I may have to revize the version I learned or you may have to revize the version you learned. Does it really matter which one is true?

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Does it really matter which one is true?

I cant believe there is an actual discussion about lemmings going on here. They are overgrown rodents. Other animals eat them. So what if Uncle Walt threw some off a cliff? Does it make it right, no. Does it matter today, even a bigger no.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom