Sad times for Happy Meals

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Original Poster
By Shirley Leung

March 3, 2003

NEW YORK(SunSpot.net/Wall Street Journal) -- In recent years, McDonald's Corp. has puzzled over how to expand beyond two core markets, young men and children.

But now, it is facing a bigger problem: the loss of some of its kids' business.

Sales of its Happy Meals have fallen three years in a row. McDonald's, based in Oak Brook, Ill., won't specify the rate of decline but suggests it was in the low single digits in 2002.

People familiar with the Happy Meal business say the decline has been 6 percent to 7 percent over the past two years combined, and some McDonald's franchisees say that that is consistent with their experience.

The Happy Meal -- which consists of an entree (hamburger, cheeseburger or chicken nuggets), fries, small drink and free toy -- is crucial to McDonald's. It accounts for more than 20 percent of U.S. transactions, or approximately $3.5 billion in annual revenue, according to McDonald's. It also generates sales from the adult who buys a child a Happy Meal. Some restaurants report that average orders with Happy Meals, whose prices vary according to market but start at $1.99, are 50 percent higher than those without Happy Meals.

No other restaurant chain that primarily serves adults has been so successful at wooing children. The 1976 introduction of the Happy Meal and subsequent arrival of in-restaurant playgrounds gave McDonald's a dominant share of the fast-food market for kids, which remains an insignificant business for competitors like Wendy's International Inc. and Yum Brands Inc., parent of Pizza Hut, KFC and Taco Bell.

Even Burger King Corp. is a relative newcomer to the children's market, having begun its Kids Meal in 1990.

But the McDonald's hold on children is weakening. "We can do better with Happy Meals," said Bill Lamar, McDonald's U.S. marketing chief. "We continue to be the leader, but the gap we had with our competitors is not as wide as it was a few years ago. We want to return to a wide gap."

To that end, McDonald's is exploring a novel concept. A key attraction of the Happy Meal is the toy that comes with it. What if Mom, a primary purchaser of Happy Meals, got a gift of her own? "A Mom's Meal with a lip gloss or a chance to go to the spa -- these are all ideas we're looking at," Lamar said. "Mom is a very, very important customer for us."

Indeed, McDonald's has created a new marketing team focused on attracting women 18 to 34 years old. And some of the chain's new products, such as the chicken flatbread sandwich and Cobb salad, are aimed at women.

Improving the Happy Meal toy is another goal. In 2002's second half, McDonald's began investing "significantly more dollars" in toys to improve their quality, Lamar said. It also started securing more "A" properties that have high appeal to kids, he added. Included in the 2003 lineup are miniature versions of the hot-selling Bratz dolls.

Sales reached stratospheric heights when Happy Meals came with Teenie Beanie Babies in the late 1990s. But since then, McDonald's has been short on big hits.

One problem is that the restaurant chain signed a 10-year licensing agreement with Walt Disney Co. that prohibits it from featuring promotions involving any Disney competitors. In 2001 and 2002, about half of the 15 annual Happy Meal promotions were related to Disney's characters or movies, some of which weren't faring well.

Meanwhile, competitor Burger King says its Kids Meal sales have grown with promotions featuring cartoon characters from "The Simpsons," "Rugrats" and "SpongeBob SquarePants."

In an interview, new McDonald's Chief Executive Jim Cantalupo said he is reviewing the Disney arrangement.

The Happy Meals sales decline has created its own promotion: a "2 for You!" program, in which kids for several weeks each year receive two toys instead of one. Its purpose is purely to rid the company of excess inventory. McDonald's says that this year it hopes to do better predicting sales.

Ed Bailey, a McDonald's franchisee in the Dallas area, blames the Disney deal for a decline in Happy Meal sales at his 45 outlets, including a 10 percent decline at a store whose overall sales grew 4 percent in 2002.

But Mr. Bailey said that another problem is that he and other franchisees have raised Happy Meal prices to offset higher toy costs. A hamburger Happy Meal can cost as much as $2.69 in some markets. Bailey now is proposing to offer a $1 Happy Meal with a cheaper toy.

In its early years, the Happy Meal came with an original toy, including McDonald's figurines such as Grimace and the Hamburglar. Some observers believe the fast-food chain, the world's largest toy distributor, should return to that strategy, instead of constantly promoting toys from the likes of Disney, Mattel Inc. and Lego Co.

"Rather than creating loyalty to McDonald's, they create a loyalty to a trinket," said Max Valiquette, president of Youthography Inc., a Toronto youth-marketing consultant.

But the Happy Meal doldrums may go beyond missing out on the hottest toys.

Some franchisees and industry observers worry that today's kids, weaned on videogames, are growing bored with traditional toys at a younger age. Sensing the changing habits and tastes of kids, McDonald's already has begun to install Nintendo videogame stations in some markets. Those close to the company say the chain is exploring offering more interactive-toy giveaways. McDonald's confirmed that it is releasing an interactive toy this year tied to Disney/Pixar's "Finding Nemo."

Flagging Happy Meal sales also may be a result of parents' focus on healthy eating following publicity about rising child-obesity rates. In response, McDonald's is considering a variety of menu add-ons -- including apple slices, fruit juices, peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches and carrot sticks -- according to a person familiar with the matter.

kal1484

Originally posted by mktiggerman
By Shirley Leung

March 3, 2003

apple slices, fruit juices, peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwiches and carrot sticks -- according to a person familiar with the matter.

OOOOOO MOMMY MOMMY!! I want a happy meal with a pb and j, and carrot sticks!!! oh yeah, right. I'll take my chicken nuggets thank you!

BRER STITCH

Strange that the article didn't zero in on the OBVIOUS target to me.... The McDonald's $1 menu!

I can take two kids to McDonalds and all 3 of us can eat for about the cost of 2 Happy Meals, and then go to the Dollar Genral on the way home for better toys!

4 Cheeseburgers - $2
2 Drinks (3 cups) - $2
2 Fries - $2

3 of us have lunch for $6, then they can each have $2 to buy TWO toys at the Dollar Store!

They LOVE that idea even more!

:lol:

GaryT977

IT'S ALL DISNEY'S FAULT!!

*sigh*

How bout better food, less boring toys, etc.?

I should have been a marketing major.

DisneyJedi

The $1 double cheeseburger has finally returned in my area. It was taken away about a year ago followed by a reorganization of the value meals (that made them much more expensive.. $0.80 to 'supersize'). As a result, I cut down the amount of McDonalds I consumed.

I dunno why, but generally if you pay for the bigger fries here, they underfill the box.. and of course those fries generally taste better because they are actually cooked properly. There are at least a dozen different McDonalds restaurants in my area and have tried them all. It depends mostly on the shift working for you, but most of them undercook the fries. A french frie should not be colored creamy yellow and flop down on its own weight. I want nice golden, solid fries like you see on TV.

Secondly why is the medium sized drink a requirement for the value meal? The way food is added to an order it looks like they don't have to add a drink to the order. IMO $1 is too much for a cup of mostly ice. I prefer to drink my own soda's at home since we rarely eat in the restaurants anywhere.

I have alot of gripes about McDonalds, but still enjoy them every Saturday night ever since I was born. It's a tradition that has been engraved in my family since I was in diapers.

Here's a tip to drastically improving the quality of your McDonalds fries and chicken nuggets.
pre-heat a toaster over to 350 degrees
Put in fries/nuggets for 15 minutes
eat (much better)

Gaston1

The only thing I could think of is Beanie-Babies. Over the last 3-4 years McDonalds would once in awhile put miniature beanie-babies in the happy meals which would create a huge surge in happy meal sales. Lines were out the door and they even had a special happy meal line. Those were the days

MrPromey

Originally posted by DisneyJedi
I dunno why, but generally if you pay for the bigger fries here, they underfill the box.. and of course those fries generally taste better because they are actually cooked properly. There are at least a dozen different McDonalds restaurants in my area and have tried them all. It depends mostly on the shift working for you, but most of them undercook the fries. A french frie should not be colored creamy yellow and flop down on its own weight. I want nice golden, solid fries like you see on TV.

Secondly why is the medium sized drink a requirement for the value meal? The way food is added to an order it looks like they don't have to add a drink to the order. IMO $1 is too much for a cup of mostly ice. I prefer to drink my own soda's at home since we rarely eat in the restaurants anywhere.

Having reached the esteemed level of management :rolleyes: at a McD’s in my youth I have two things to respond to:

First, the fries. When the fries are limp, it means they’ve been sitting too long. They are cooked with a preset timer so unless a location is pulling them early, there shouldn’t be a problem with undercooking and when they are undercooked, they tend to be crisp on the outside (the outside is the first part to cook) and then are cold or overly mushy on the inside. I don’t remember for sure because it’s been a good while but if I recall, the cook time was 4 minutes and the hold time (amount of time they can sit there before they have to be dumped or sold) was 7 minutes. Chances are the ones you’ve been getting have been sitting for a lot longer than 7 minutes – especially if you aren’t hitting them at peak times. Fries and coffee (in my day, anyway) tended to be the two products that were the most abused when it came to hold times.

As for the Value Meal situation, you are right, the soda is added at full price which is how they get to your total. They do this in case you want something like a shake or orange juice or something else besides a soda which would affect the total price. It also allows them to easily specify which soda you order without complicating the process by with the kid at the register has to ring it all up. In actuality, the soda is where you are getting the discount because it is the cheapest thing (in terms of cost) that they sell and that is where they are absorbing the discount applied when you get the meal. Before the meals, many people just bought the burgers and fries and the meals offered a way to increase overall sales with very little loss in profit since the soda in individual servings is virtually nothing – also why they give free refills. Incidentally, the fries are the second cheapest thing they sell which would explain why they are always trying to push you to go up on the fries and the drink on the meals.

Back to the original subject about Disney toys – It isn’t like McDonald’s is the only one who has been potentially hurt by the agreement. Disney took a major hit with the release of Treasure Planet which actually wasn’t a bad movie at all but suffered from probably one of the worst release dates imaginable – something they were required to do in order to coincide with a McDonald’s happy meal promotion.

MrPromey

Originally posted by turkey leg boy
The new oil is terrible. :hurl: :hurl: :hurl:

Have they changed it again or are you talking about when they went from grease to vegetable oil? :veryconfu

DisneyJedi

Thanks for the explanations MrPromey

It's gotta be the sitting time for the fries here. I have seen McDonalds here take the fries out of the fryer right when it beeps, hang the basket 30 seconds and fling the fries (oily and all) into the frie hopper. I didn't realize the fries are suppossed to sit 7 minutes to drain. We've definitely had undercooked fries here before too. I noticed peek times are not necessary the best time to go to McDonalds. It seems when there are alot of customers that the food is cooked more quickly and consequently put together more sloppily and prematurely (fries).

That makes sense about the drinks. I kinda wish it were an option to forfeit the drink, but McDonalds would lose money if they allowed that. The best deal for me now is a couple double cheeseburgers for $1 each and a medium or large frie. It's about $3.50 for dinner that way. Yes, I don't like spending alot of money on fast food, so I am glad the $1 double cheeseburger has returned in my area.

MrPromey

Originally posted by DisneyJedi
Thanks for the explanations MrPromey

It's gotta be the sitting time for the fries here. I have seen McDonalds here take the fries out of the fryer right when it beeps, hang the basket 30 seconds and fling the fries (oily and all) into the frie hopper. I didn't realize the fries are suppossed to sit 7 minutes to drain. We've definitely had undercooked fries here before too. I noticed peek times are not necessary the best time to go to McDonalds. It seems when there are alot of customers that the food is cooked more quickly and consequently put together more sloppily and prematurely (fries).

That makes sense about the drinks. I kinda wish it were an option to forfeit the drink, but McDonalds would lose money if they allowed that. The best deal for me now is a couple double cheeseburgers for $1 each and a medium or large frie. It's about $3.50 for dinner that way. Yes, I don't like spending alot of money on fast food, so I am glad the $1 double cheeseburger has returned in my area.

I agree whole heartedly with you on the money thing...

As for the fries, the hold time is the longest they are supposed to sit beore they are thrown out - not how long they should sit. In actuality, by McD standards,(unless they have changed over the last several years - a good posibility) the fries would not be considered eatable by the time most people who get stuff to go get to where they are going with them because they have such a short hold time. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom