News Sad News: Richard Gerth, the Grand Floridian greeter, has passed away...

HouCuseChickie

Several sites are reporting today that he passed away. Either way, I am thankful we got to spend some time with him back in December. I can’t imagine being at the GF without him.

Attachments

• D2720476-9058-458A-87BB-F7E88E00BD69.png
    D2720476-9058-458A-87BB-F7E88E00BD69.png
    523.7 KB · Views: 231

hockeyfran

Slightly off topic but does anyone know about the gentleman who used to welcome you to POFQ? I didn't see him there the past 2 times we went but was not sure if he was off for some reason. Hopefully all is well with him.

wdwfan22

Show me the collection of CM memorials at WDW. Many wonderful CMs have died in 47 years.

The windows on Main Street. While i understand they can't recognize them all Richard wasn't the typical Cast Member. He was associated with Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. He was used in advertising material for the resort as well. So this situation is a little different. The orlando sentinel ran a lovely story on him this morning as well. So again he isn't a typical Cast Member.

Castle Cake Apologist

Not to be cold, but you don’t see the difference?

He was a wonderful CM but we cannot memorialize each one who dies.
Show me the collection of CM memorials at WDW. Many wonderful CMs have died in 47 years.

I would argue that Richard had transcended typical Cast status and had become more of a staple of the resort. It's not like he was Ryan the CP working the registers at Pecos since January. Richard was a huge part of the memories of thousands of families across multiple generations.

I don't see how a plaque on a bench would be inappropriate. To counter your point regarding Lane's lighthouse, countless guests have died at Disney parks, sometimes even due to Disney's own negligence, and there are no memorials to them, so it would almost seem more appropriate to me that Richard would receive some kind of tribute.

This isn't really the time or place for this discussion, though. You know that I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and our years of friendship, but you are coming across as a little cold here, Kyle.

Last edited:

brb1006

There was this one video that was posted on the Disney Parks channel a few years ago that featured him and how passionate and friendly he was with every guests that arrived and leaving. I wish WDW had more Cast Members this passionate and friendly with others. But this video will have to do until I find that again. I remember he would always made guests feel more welcome.

His a video of him interacting with guests three weeks ago.

Last edited:

ryguy

Not to be cold, but you don’t see the difference?

He was a wonderful CM but we cannot memorialize each one who dies.

I don't see your point. People die everyday at Disney and there are no markers. Sometimes there are exceptions to every rule. This is a fairly unique position he held and it would be fitting for him to be remembered in a subtle way. Who would object to that? I see your point that you can't go around memorializing every good cast member but Richard carved out something unique and special and I feel he deserves something.

rsm

This is very sad indeed. We took my parents to Disney last fall. When I read he was ill this morning I texted them about the “greeter at the GF” and they instantly knew who I was talking about. I could have mentioned half a dozen million dollar e-ticket rides we rode that they would have no memory of... but they remembered Richard.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The boy attacked by the gator has a nice tribute, can't see why Richard couldnt get a bench with a plaque on it. He truly embodied the Disney spirit.
The windows on Main Street. While i understand they can't recognize them all Richard wasn't the typical Cast Member. He was associated with Disney's Grand Floridian Resort. He was used in advertising material for the resort as well. So this situation is a little different. The orlando sentinel ran a lovely story on him this morning as well. So again he isn't a typical Cast Member.
I would argue that Richard had transcended typical Cast status and had become more of a staple of the resort. It's not like he was Ryan the CP working the registers at Pecos since January. Richard was a huge part of the memories of thousands of families across multiple generations.

I don't see how a plaque on a bench would be inappropriate. To counter your point regarding Lane's lighthouse, countless guests have died at Disney parks, sometimes even due to Disney's own negligence, and there are no memorials to them, so it would almost seem more appropriate to me that Richard would receive some kind of tribute.

This isn't really the time or place for this discussion, though. You know that I have nothing but the utmost respect for you and our years of friendship, but you are coming across as a little cold here, Kyle.
The comments from other people here pretty much say what I would. There are more notions at play here than just "cast member," and you are being unduly cold.

So I worked with Mr. Gerth for a brief period and he was a great man. And I get that it’s new and he wasn’t your “average” faceless name tag.

But @MansionButler84 is right.

Windows on Main Street are for pioneers and contributors that were large pieces of the puzzle.

And while Mr. Gerth will be missed by many...he was not the only one to have a special place that will never be memorialized. There are others...I mentioned earlier and can attest that Stan the Man, wilderness lodge ranger, was a master at making people smile...just watching him interact was a show. I believe he is gone now as well and won’t be memorialized.

There are many more.

I would be fine if they did a tribute...where do I donate?

But Mr. Gerth was there for the experience...it was a two way street. He would be the first to tell you that no plaque is needed. As most of our wise elders would. The reward for him - I have no doubt - was the time...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom