News Runoff Rapids water slides at Blizzard Beach closed for refurbishment

Biff215

Looks like there may be truth to the rumor that that the back side of the mountain was unstable, or at least that it had some significant plumbing issues that caused Runoff to be shut down for the entire year. Good to see they are addressing it and keeping the slides. It's unfortunate that BB hasn't received anything new and likely won't this year, but I'm sure a significant budget was needed to get this work done. I'll just be happy if they restore the original capacity which the park desperately needs.

COProgressFan

Looks like there may be truth to the rumor that that the back side of the mountain was unstable, or at least that it had some significant plumbing issues that caused Runoff to be shut down for the entire year. Good to see they are addressing it and keeping the slides. It's unfortunate that BB hasn't received anything new and likely won't this year, but I'm sure a significant budget was needed to get this work done. I'll just be happy if they restore the original capacity which the park desperately needs.

Not a rumor -- there were some significant structural and plumbing issues that have existed for several years with many band-aid fixes to keep things operational. From the pictures, it looks like they may be finally addressing these issues and the get the Runoff slides operational again.

I'm also happy to see this work being done -- we had a fun day at Blizzard Beach this year and I think my kids would have really liked the Runoff slides !

CJR

Just saw some new pics slide pieces are in storage space near the expansion pad most likely run off rapids they look brand new!

If they are, it'd be a neat way to sneak an announcement this week. Even if they're the same pattern, it'd be a way to capitalize on it, from a marketing perspective.

Epcot82Guy

I always thought that area would be a great place to add some of the new ProSlide half-pipe elements. While expensive to theme, it would be an amazing way to add some more "ice" to the backside of the mountain, reuising the Runoff stations (and even some slide pieces, most likely).

Walt d

And Volcano Bay opens late May. If tourists are going to spend a day in a waterpark which one would you choose?

cmcsavolcanobay_large.jpg
Volcano_Bay_Luge_VoSUz7.png.jpg

Capture%2Bd%25E2%2580%2599e%25CC%2581cran%2B2016-11-03%2Ba%25CC%2580%2B21.27.28.png

Volcano-Bay-Universal-Orlando-water-park-Florida.jpg

Blizzard keeps having major slide issues even after coming off a refurb which begs the question (since this just happened with their 2 premiere slides not long ago at Blizzard) how much refurb is happening in the cooler temp seasons and how much of the closures are simply taking a park off line do to lack of demand over the winter? Saying, fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.
I big kid stand up surf, so my pick, is allways be typhoon lagoon. Waves rule!

WWWD

Quick question, in picture 4, why is the parking lot completely full of cars? Is it being used as a temporary CM lot?

MonorailMan

Has anybody seen any more pictures or have any updates on the refurb? Since Blizzard Beach reopens at the end of this week I’m curious to see how the work has progressed...

Disone

Has anybody seen any more pictures or have any updates on the refurb? Since Blizzard Beach reopens at the end of this week I’m curious to see how the work has progressed...
Drove by today. Crane is gone. There are two new large black pipes running up the mountain. I assume this is a new re-route of the plumbing. Also Perhaps Blizzard Beach is now updating its story to include the keystone pipeline? Anywho.... A lot of the minimal landscaping they had on the back side is also gone. But the slides looked complete. I am guessing even if it does not open for immediately, runoff rapids will open this season. They look fairly complete.

Edit: I guess looking at older pics, the black pipes were always, just better hidding by the now gone landscaping.

CJR

I guess looking at older pics, the black pipes were always, just better hidding by the now gone landscaping.

Thanks for the updates!

I'm not too worried about the landscaping, they can always add it back over time. Like you noted, it was pretty minimal anyway.

I'm very happy Runoff Rapids will probably be back. They are the better slides, IMO. They're not super fast, but they're fun. And, that's what we go to BB for, haha.

Mathew h

Any word on this park now that it's refurb is over? I'm heading to the world in 10 days with plans on being at blizzard beach on the 26th and I"m very curious to know how the refurb went, and more importantly if by some miracle runoff rapids is back open :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom