Running with a camera?

bdevil4

Original Poster
Maybe this is a silly question, but looking at the great character photos you all shared in the other thread got me thinking that I'll probably want a camera on me during the Wine and Dine. However, I've never carried a camera while running before, and I shudder at the thought of carrying the one I have for 13.1 miles. So...what do you recommend doing for race photos? What kind of camera do you carry? Do you use a running belt?

fmingo36

I bought an inexpensive nikon for the race(Princess 1/2 marathon). My BFF and I switched at every mile marker. It really was not an issue.
She bought one of the runner belts at the expo but it was more of a pain to use than iy was to hold the camera.
We did take pictures ALOT of pictures: at each mile marker and then through out the race with various characters.

bcone

any small point and shoot digital will work. They're getting so small it's no different than running with a ipod classic,touch,phone. Careful though b/c the Wine and Dine is a night race this time and based on past experience...it's hard to get really good shots with some of the light levels you'll have. The digital cameras will help you out best with that! Good luck!

dreamfinder

Just remember, electronics and sweat don't play nicely. So if you sweat while running, or have a habit of spilling water on you at water stops, you may want to look into a small waterproof pouch or something similar.

Eeyore

Mrs. WDWMAGIC [Assistant Administrator]
Premium Member
I just got a spibelt for my iPhone and will likely use it for my point and shoot should I do a race this year. It's a great little belt, fits comfortably and doesn't bounce. I don't have a link handy but if you google spibelt you should get their official site pretty easily.

lukacseven

In January, all half marathon and marathon participants recieved a disposable film camera in the Expo goody bag (Kodak was a race sponsor).

The Spibelt is good for running with cameras or some clothing companies make running shorts with rear center pockets. Spibelt is at every race expo and there are several knock-offs available. You can always keep the camera in a ziplock bag if you're afraid of getting it wet.

jakeman

Maybe this is a silly question, but looking at the great character photos you all shared in the other thread got me thinking that I'll probably want a camera on me during the Wine and Dine. However, I've never carried a camera while running before, and I shudder at the thought of carrying the one I have for 13.1 miles. So...what do you recommend doing for race photos? What kind of camera do you carry? Do you use a running belt?
Spibelt. We have our standard Sony digital camera and it fit just fine.

But much more important, awesome avatar picture.

Jon Sheyer will be missed!

bdevil4

Original Poster
Thanks very much to everyone for all of your suggestions! I think I will be investing in a spibelt, they seem pretty handy! I think my current camera is just too big to run with, but perhaps I will try to get myself a small, cheap-ish alternative to carry.

Spibelt. We have our standard Sony digital camera and it fit just fine.

But much more important, awesome avatar picture.

Jon Sheyer will be missed!

Why, thank you! I was fortunate enough to get a photo with Scheyer and Greg Paulus when Duke came to Purdue a couple of years ago. And, yes, he will definitely be missed. Glad he got to go out a champion! :)

DisneyRunner

I used my daughters. I'm not sure of the brand, but it takes a xD card. Her camera was smaller and thinner than mine. I had the strap on my wrist and held it in my hand.

BigThunderFan

So did you all just have a random person take your picture, or were there also Photopass photographers around? I'm planning on doing the marathon for the first time in 2011 and have no idea what to expect!:shrug:

Honor

Ran with camera in hand

I did the Princess Mini this year. Lousy time but GREAT PICTURES! I just kept my small digital in constantly in hand. Since most runners in the second half of the pack are not that obsessed about time, they will gladly take a picture for you. I took photos of every mile marker and in about 7 of those photos, I just handed off the camera to a nearby fellow runner who happily snapped a quick pic of me with the mile marker. And I did the same for other runners.

At each character, there will be two cast members to take pictures with your own camera. One runner is posing with the character while a cast member is taking the picture;, the second runner is on deck, has already given her camera to the second cast member who is already lining up the shot. The photos go very quickly that way.

And there are ASI photographers along the course. I bought all 6 photos of me (I think $20 each, ouch). In every pic, I have a huge grin on my face and my arms waving in the air like a victory dance. Remember to smile an extra big smile after you run thru the castle. That photo is mounted on my shadow box (you can order those at the expo, $120 I think). Boy, these mini marathons get expensive, don't they?

My scrapbook is going to be beautiful, meaningful, special and tell the exciting story of my very first mini marathon ever! I'm all excited to take on the Coast to Coast next year (can't make it to Disneyland this September or it would be this year).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom