Runner's High...

MickeyBen

Original Poster
Ok... I did a three mile run the other day and was feeling pretty good and toward the end decided to sprint the last 10th fast and hard. Well, as I finished and slowed down to a walk I got runner's high. It was amazing. The endorphins and energy kicked in and it was really like being drunk! Has anyone else every experienced this? I had heard about but never experienced it for myself until this run. Wow!! Makes me want to run even more now....

JillC LI

Ok... I did a three mile run the other day and was feeling pretty good and toward the end decided to sprint the last 10th fast and hard. Well, as I finished and slowed down to a walk I got runner's high. It was amazing. The endorphins and energy kicked in and it was really like being drunk! Has anyone else every experienced this? I had heard about but never experienced it for myself until this run. Wow!! Makes me want to run even more now....

Hi MickeyBen and welcome. I've had good runs and bad runs over the years, but only very rarely have I experienced what I believe is a true "runner's high." It usually kicks in towards the last mile or two of a run and I feel like I am flying effortlessly over the ground. I experience great joy in those moments, and at some point I realize I have this huge stupid grin on my face but I don't care! LOL. I remember experiencing it for the first time on the final short run before I ran the NYC marathon in 2005, and I felt that it was a good omen for the race. It was like the pay-off for all those months of hard work.

Phonedave

Hi MickeyBen and welcome. I've had good runs and bad runs over the years, but only very rarely have I experienced what I believe is a true "runner's high." It usually kicks in towards the last mile or two of a run and I feel like I am flying effortlessly over the ground. I experience great joy in those moments, and at some point I realize I have this huge stupid grin on my face but I don't care! LOL. I remember experiencing it for the first time on the final short run before I ran the NYC marathon in 2005, and I felt that it was a good omen for the race. It was like the pay-off for all those months of hard work.

I try for that, but it only happens rarely.

All of a sudden, well into a run, it feels effortless. Nothing aches, you have no cardio strain, in fact you really don't feel anything. I can count on one had the number of times that has happened to me.

Zen running is a different sort of thing. I do that more frequently. I just sort of zone out. I am not aware of the miles passing, or my running, are pretty much anything around me. If I could, I would close my eyes.

The first is a very conscious situation - I am fully aware of running, and how great it feels. The second is more unconscious. I'll snap out of it and says "Oh, look at that, 2 miles have passed"

-dave

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I have only had a true euphoric feeling about 2 or 3 times that lasted a mile or so. Sometimes, they are in the middle of a run. Great description since that is the way I feel to. Even if it is for a few seconds, or half a mile, that is exactly the feeling. Like gliding over the path.

All of a sudden, well into a run, it feels effortless. Nothing aches, you have no cardio strain, in fact you really don't feel anything. I can count on one had the number of times that has happened to me.

Zen running is a different sort of thing. I do that more frequently. I just sort of zone out. I am not aware of the miles passing, or my running, are pretty much anything around me. If I could, I would close my eyes.

The first is a very conscious situation - I am fully aware of running, and how great it feels. The second is more unconscious. I'll snap out of it and says "Oh, look at that, 2 miles have passed"

-dave
No with what I said about said, I do have a lot of these moments. All the sudden, Im 1 mile down the road. These are those awesome morning runs like this past Saturday when Im out at 5:30 and I have 6 miles down before I see one person or even daylight.

Just me. Dave mentioned Zen running to me and Dave/Nick encouraged no music. I rarely run with it and if I do, it is musical scores from movies. Not really distracting music at all. Just something to help zone me out. I have found though that I do not like music past about 14 miles. Im good with it till then, and I dont care what score of piece of music is on, Im done. I shut it down and just cruise the rest of the way.

Welcome Mickey Ben. :wave:

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
I don't get a "runner's high" on my training runs. I attempt to stay focused and zone out at the same time, much like Dave does, and no music (as Joel just mentioned). Running my high mileage, I think it's important to be aware of how my body is working, not get over-zealous, and make sure I prevent injury. Post-run, I feel great, because I know I can scarf down food!

During a race however, I do get a runner's high, but only at the start, and about a few miles before the finish.

Welcome, by the way. Cheers.

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I don't get a "runner's high" on my training runs. I attempt to stay focused and zone out at the same time, much like Dave does, and no music (as Joel just mentioned). Running my high mileage, I think it's important to be aware of how my body is working, not get over-zealous, and make sure I prevent injury. Post-run, I feel great, because I know I can scarf down food!

During a race however, I do get a runner's high, but only at the start, and about a few miles before the finish.

Welcome, by the way. Cheers.
I think that is how I pulled a 6:30, 7, 7:30, 7:30 and 7:28 first 5 miles of my last Half race. the high was there and felt like I was just cruising.

JillC LI

-dave

Yeah, I can count the number of times I've experienced a true runner's high on one hand as well.

I do agree with what you are saying about sometimes not being aware of the miles passing because I've zoned out somewhere, be it in music or my own thoughts - that happens much more often.

fmingo36

I'm definitely a zone-out runner (although I've never zoned out for 2 miles like Dave)

Running is my me time. My DH works out of state so during the week it's just me and my 2 little girls. When I'm able to get those long runs, it's all about me.
Being able to put my mp3 on and listen my music (instead of Kidz Bop or Barbie whatever) and just lace my sneakers and go---well that right there is my runner's high.

I will say after my first marathon (at Disney this past January) after they put my Mickey medal around my neck, I was thinking I can't believe I just completed a marathon. The feeling was amazing and it made me want to keep running for as long as I can.

Texas84

Twice. At the end of my first official 5K then at the end of last Saturday's 10K. Now I do get into a regular zone on my long runs. Somewhere between 4 and 10 miles. I wouldn't call that a high though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom