Runner Invention Thoughts

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I'm thinking about inventing a new type of water-bottle for endurance athletes and I wanted to see how other runners would react to this product if I were to put it on the market. I came up with this idea a couple days ago so it still has bugs to work out and will take some trial and error, but wanted to hear from you guys what you like and don't like about this "prototype."

I was thinking of making a water bottle that carries water/sports drinks, energy bars/blocks, and gels all in one. I can offer more details if you guys want me too. Thanks!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
I'm thinking about inventing a new type of water-bottle for endurance athletes and I wanted to see how other runners would react to this product if I were to put it on the market. I came up with this idea a couple days ago so it still has bugs to work out and will take some trial and error, but wanted to hear from you guys what you like and don't like about this "prototype."

I was thinking of making a water bottle that carries water/sports drinks, energy bars/blocks, and gels all in one. I can offer more details if you guys want me too. Thanks!
I'd have to hear a little more about it. e.g. would the energy bars clip in to the side of the water bottle, or would the product on the inside include all of the above (in the liquid)

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer

I'm the Dr. Frankenstein of running gear!

Sounds like a logical idea, but just remember, "all in one" means one word: heavy. Hence, the developement of hydration belts, packs/vests, etc...
For a short distance it may not be an issue. I've made a similar type gauntlet attached to the waterbottle that carriess gels, electrolytes on the forearm, but again, the weight problem.
Interested to see what you come up with.

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
I'd have to hear a little more about it. e.g. would the energy bars clip in to the side of the water bottle, or would the product on the inside include all of the above (in the liquid)

The energy bar bites or energy chews would be held in a container that screws onto the bottom of the water bottle. Then the energy gels would be kept in a container that is inside the bottle but keeps the gel from mixing with the water. Someone would be able to get access to the water and gel separately, but if they want they can twist the container and the gel would mix with the water. My thought with this is that when someone consumes an energy gel they have to drink some water as well so why not combine the two. I know that I would have to work on the proportions.

Nick- I also realized that there might be a weight problem, but I'm looking to use the right materials to overcome that. I figured that I would try to find the lightest, but also strongest materials. One of my other
thoughts is to put it on a belt clip and have some with hand-straps.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
The energy bar bites or energy chews would be held in a container that screws onto the bottom of the water bottle. Then the energy gels would be kept in a container that is inside the bottle but keeps the gel from mixing with the water. Someone would be able to get access to the water and gel separately, but if they want they can twist the container and the gel would mix with the water. My thought with this is that when someone consumes an energy gel they have to drink some water as well so why not combine the two. I know that I would have to work on the proportions.

Nick- I also realized that there might be a weight problem, but I'm looking to use the right materials to overcome that. I figured that I would try to find the lightest, but also strongest materials. One of my other
thoughts is to put it on a belt clip and have some with hand-straps.

Nice idea with the screw on bottom compartment. That would work
Regarding the way you are mixing the gel and water: roughly, it should ideally be 3 "gulps" or 6oz of water per 90-100 calorie gel.
Check out Oxcitis hydration packs (French company) which has perfected the water mixing with an energy solution. Their particular set up is really engineered well, so perhaps you can snatch some ideas from that. I find that the European running gear companies are FAR superior to American brands. They are just really into that type of gear over there. Most of my stuff I order from UK or France. PM me if you want me to give you a list of some of the better European companies.
Regarding the weight: you could always utilize an aluminum counter balance/anti shock/piston mechanism which attaches to a forearm splint and then attaches to the bottle, therefore when you let go of the grip, the weight just hangs on the forearm raherthan the weaker wrist...yeah, I made a prototype :)

JillC LI

Please be careful about posting your ideas - even general ideas - on a public forum. They can so easily be stolen! It's a great idea to do some informal polling, but inventions are valuable things and you do not want to give up any rights you may have.
(Taking off attorney hat now.) :)

GoofyRacer11

Original Poster
Please be careful about posting your ideas - even general ideas - on a public forum. They can so easily be stolen! It's a great idea to do some informal polling, but inventions are valuable things and you do not want to give up any rights you may have.
(Taking off attorney hat now.) :)

Thanks JillC LI! I really appreciate your concern and I had this thought as well. That's why I'm just explaining the mere concept of my idea. I still have secrets on the design and function of my idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom