runDisney Virtual Running Events

Rteetz

Rumor is that other than the summer and Christmas virtual series, there will be no more virtual races in conjunction with the in person races, beginning with the 2024 W&D race.
They are not listed on the race registration calendar like previous years.

I wouldn’t be surprised. I don’t think it’s all that advantageous for runDisney to begin with now that races are fully back.

Surferboy567

Rumor is that other than the summer and Christmas virtual series, there will be no more virtual races in conjunction with the in person races, beginning with the 2024 W&D race.
Virtual races are the reason I got into runDisney. That would be very upsetting to me.

Rteetz

The virtual races, outside the summer series, were started in 2020 because of COVID. I'm surprised they weren't discontinued for the 2023-24 season.
I think even with this season they kept it to see if it was a viable revenue option but I doubt many actual sign up for virtuals anymore. They seem to even have had a hard time selling the Christmas one.

Surferboy567

The virtual races, outside the summer series, were started in 2020 because of COVID. I'm surprised they weren't discontinued for the 2023-24 season.
I understand they were started as a COVID measure. It doesn’t change the fact though that’s how I have primarily been interacting with runDisney.

I have participated in 4 live runDisney weekends.

2022 Inaugural Springtime Surprise Challenge
2022 Wine & Dine 5K & Two Course Challenge
2023 Springtime Surprise Challenge
2024 Dopey Challenge

I have participated in around 44 individual virtual races (not counting challenge medals) starting since 2020. Without the constant influx of virtual races to train for I worry about how much motivation I will have to run the distances I would normally.

I don’t plan on stopping runDisney I’m way too invested into it. If this is true however, I definitely will not be able to participate in as many races as I have been. Which probably aligns with Disney’s bottom line and I’m sure everyone against virtual races will be happy. For me though, I’ll have to strategically plan which races I can sign up and attend. Not being able to just willy nilly sign up for virtual races on a whim. Which admittedly is a big change.

Running LIVE is don’t get me wrong is a vastly superior experience. It’s not possible though to attend every live event. It’s much easier to sign up for virtual races and rack up medals and miles like that. This will vastly change my running schedule, and maybe it’s just me and I’m an isolated case but it’s worth mentioning.

ppete1975

I understand they were started as a COVID measure. It doesn’t change the fact though that’s how I have primarily been interacting with runDisney.

I have participated in 4 live runDisney weekends.

2022 Inaugural Springtime Surprise Challenge
2022 Wine & Dine 5K & Two Course Challenge
2023 Springtime Surprise Challenge
2024 Dopey Challenge

I have participated in around 44 individual virtual races (not counting challenge medals) starting since 2020. Without the constant influx of virtual races to train for I worry about how much motivation I will have to run the distances I would normally.

I don’t plan on stopping runDisney I’m way too invested into it. If this is true however, I definitely will not be able to participate in as many races as I have been. Which probably aligns with Disney’s bottom line and I’m sure everyone against virtual races will be happy. For me though, I’ll have to strategically plan which races I can sign up and attend. Not being able to just willy nilly sign up for virtual races on a whim. Which admittedly is a big change.

Running LIVE is don’t get me wrong is a vastly superior experience. It’s not possible though to attend every live event. It’s much easier to sign up for virtual races and rack up medals and miles like that. This will vastly change my running schedule, and maybe it’s just me and I’m an isolated case but it’s worth mentioning.
virtual races are pure profit, you dont have to close streets have characters hire staff etc. Outside of shipping medals there is no cost. So the ROI for Disney is huge. By having virtual only events (not tied to regular races) they can get the addicts that live close and want to do any race they can, plus the other side of the virtual market the WAY WAY out of towners, people not close to either coast. For me thats oklahoma, I can do virtual races and get some magic as its too expensive to do the actual races often. This doesnt remove any of the numbers from the physical events so there is no harm to the bottom line. All the virtual races are sold out as are the physical ones, so clearly they are all still making money.

I wouldnt worry about them being discontinued. I dont think disney sees them as a competition for the onsite events but a new additional income stream.

Rteetz

virtual races are pure profit, you dont have to close streets have characters hire staff etc. Outside of shipping medals there is no cost. So the ROI for Disney is huge. By having virtual only events (not tied to regular races) they can get the addicts that live close and want to do any race they can, plus the other side of the virtual market the WAY WAY out of towners, people not close to either coast. For me thats oklahoma, I can do virtual races and get some magic as its too expensive to do the actual races often. This doesnt remove any of the numbers from the physical events so there is no harm to the bottom line. All the virtual races are sold out as are the physical ones, so clearly they are all still making money.

I wouldnt worry about them being discontinued. I dont think disney sees them as a competition for the onsite events but a new additional income stream.
They have been discontinued. The ones that correspond with the in person weekends at least. The summer virtual series and the Christmas virtuals will remain however.

ppete1975

They have been discontinued. The ones that correspond with the in person weekends at least. The summer virtual series and the Christmas virtuals will remain however.
Right i didnt mean the ones that coincide, that could cut into profit. But virtual races in general are a pure profit maker and will continue, unless they are dumber than i think.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Just take ALL of my money for this series!!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240307_102916_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20240307_102916_Facebook.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 49

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom