runDisney pares back complimentary full-day ticket to half-day for volunteers

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We should be. This is just a bad move by Disney. No they are not required to give tickets at all but this half day ticket crap is nonsense. It’s not anymore costly to Disney to give the full day ticket.
It smells of the “they don’t HAVE to give dvc annual passes or allow them to use their points…” mindset.

Does that actually matter at all?

Rteetz

I understand…but I’m just saying the Boston marathon has a lot of other people with grazing rights along the routes…they have to have a community organizer structure.
Sure but it’s not like rD isn’t run on public roadways. Disney maintains the property but they do have to shutdown the roads. They do use OC Sheriffs all over the course. It’s very similar in set up to a major race elsewhere.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sure but it’s not like rD isn’t run on public roadways. Disney maintains the property but they do have to shutdown the roads. They do use OC Sheriffs all over the course. It’s very similar in set up to a major race elsewhere.
Yes…but we know those are only “public roads” in the most academic sense. Other than Reams and western way…there isn’t much pass through.

Those roads are also “public” for US DOT funding…because that’s why all roads are public at this point.

But I get your point. Disney has much more control of the variables than a city thon.

Rteetz

Yes…but we know those are only “public roads” in the most academic sense. Other than Reams and western way…there isn’t much pass through.

Those roads are also “public” for US DOT funding…because that’s why all roads are public at this point.

But I get your point. Disney has much more control of the variables than a city thon.
For sure and is likely one of the reasons Universal has only ever done 5Ks and 10Ks. They can get that mileage mostly on property they control.

Many races get changed or canceled simply because municipalities don’t want to put forth permits or resources to hold these events.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
which is ironic, considering the diminishing quality of those race courses. It’s clear convenience and experience of the racers are losing out to operations folks
…everybody loves a show, my man…

New balance and brooks aren’t paying to NOT get maximum exposure on their banners and swag tents

Rteetz

which is ironic, considering the diminishing quality of those race courses. It’s clear convenience and experience of the racers are losing out to operations folks
Define quality of a race course. There are certainly better courses than others in the nearly 40 Disney races I’ve done. However, year to year changes are not always to make experience worse. Some years they do have to deal with road construction. Some years they have even added things to enhance that runner experience. Look at the Tower of Terror 10-miler in April. A retired race brought back with a course loved by most.

Lilofan

Voluntarism is a tremendous good... when you're giving your time to youth sports, homeless shelters, churches, community groups, senior centers, municipal beautification, etc.

I don't think there's any reason to be donating your time to a multinational media conglomerate so that they can increase their profitability. Disney should pay for their own damn labor. Not with a park ticket; with actual wages.
Even if Disney schedules cast to come in at 1am, 2am start time and schedules then 13-14 hour shift good luck in seeing if they all come to work.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I don’t think you understand how these major races work. Even world majors rely heavily on volunteers. Boston and New York City marathons for example. Those races like Disney require hundreds of people to help.
"Every race rips off people by leeching off of free labor" is not a justification of Disney doing it.

I don't see any fundamental difference between this and Disney saying "we'd love to have some volunteers come work the registers at Pecos Bill's."

Lilofan

Run Disney volunteers do a thankless job helping clean up the roads so police can reopen to cars later in the day.

Rteetz

"Every race rips off people by leeching off of free labor" is not a justification of Disney doing it.

I don't see any fundamental difference between this and Disney saying "we'd love to have some volunteers come work the registers at Pecos Bill's."
Good lord dude. The BAA and NYRR are not leeching off free labor. Good luck with that belief. Educate yourself on the running world maybe before saying stuff like thag.

EPCOT-O.G.

Define quality of a race course. There are certainly better courses than others in the nearly 40 Disney races I’ve done. However, year to year changes are not always to make experience worse. Some years they do have to deal with road construction. Some years they have even added things to enhance that runner experience. Look at the Tower of Terror 10-miler in April. A retired race brought back with a course loved by most.
Let's use this most recent series of courses as an example. Parks (2, down from 3) front-loaded to the first half of the race. Second half mostly roads, with long boring stretches. And if you ran the 10k that weekend as well, mostly the same course as the half (with the exception of the long road stretches).

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Good lord dude. The BAA and NYRR are not leeching off free labor. Good luck with that belief. Educate yourself on the running world maybe before saying stuff like thag.
Holy crap, the Boston Athletic Association is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit association! We're talking about THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY.

What you said is literally like saying McDonald's doesn't have to pay their workers because the soup kitchen doesn't.

Rteetz

Let's use this most recent series of courses as an example. Parks (2, down from 3) front-loaded to the first half of the race. Second half mostly roads, with long boring stretches. And if you ran the 10k that weekend as well, mostly the same course as the half (with the exception of the long road stretches).
Yes I ran all three races during Wine & Dine. This 10K didn’t have any major park time differences from any other 10K I’ve done at WDW dating back to 2015. The half was not my favorite and I did miss the inclusion of AK in that course however I do wonder if the current road work near MK contributed to this change. In the past W&D would start at the TTC parking lot and run out that way.

Rteetz

Holy crap, the Boston Athletic Association is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit association! We're talking about THE WALT DISNEY COMPANY.
Yes and? Like I’ve pointed out rD isn’t some major part of this company. Much of what they do is a loss leader. They are not making millions off the races themselves. Disney makes the money from merch sales and you staying on property during the race. The race costs themselves go into paying for entertainment, and logistics.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom