runDisney Announces Policy Change: No complimentary park tickets for 2023 Wine and Dine volunteers

ohioguy

Even if taxable, Disney has plenty of accountants to make any paperwork and IRS filings a non-issue. We're talking about a multi-billion corporation here.

biggy H

This just makes DISNEY look cheap. Not an issue that will cause Disney financial stress by giving out some park passes. Not a good look.
The vast majority of guests won't care and almost certainly won't know anything about it. It just infringes on a small group, albit probably very vocal on the issue. The other question is how many only volunteer because of the free ticket?

Lilofan

The vast majority of guests won't care and almost certainly won't know anything about it. It just infringes on a small group, albit probably very vocal on the issue. The other question is how many only volunteer because of the free ticket?
Volunteers play a critical part in WDW road clean up. During the races multiple roads on WDW property are closed due to the marathon and other races. Volunteers like me clean up our stations so law enforcement can open up the roads for vehicle traffic later in the afternoon. The roadways with the clothing debris, garbage , thousands of cups don’t magically disappear by themselves.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
RCID has nothing to do with runDisney races.

This is a slap in the face of the thousands of volunteers who man bib pickup, races mornings, etc.

I am shocked and appalled that Disney would do this. Without volunteers, there's be no races.

@DznyGrlSD, what are your thoughts?
lips watson GIF by Teachers on TV Land

GimpYancIent

Volunteers play a critical part in WDW road clean up. During the races multiple roads on WDW property are closed due to the marathon and other races. Volunteers like me clean up our stations so law enforcement can open up the roads for vehicle traffic later in the afternoon. The roadways with the clothing debris, garbage , thousands of cups don’t magically disappear by themselves.
Volunteers don't just dispense water and clean up cups. Volunteers are everywhere from medical service support to expo customer service support. Run Disney refers to a round number of approximately 15,000 + plus volunteers supporting the annual events each year and refers to the volunteers as critical. Welll if volunteers are critical then treat them accordingly and a little incentivizing will go a long way to maintaining the resource.

Lilofan

Volunteers don't just dispense water and clean up cups. Volunteers are everywhere from medical service support to expo customer service support. Run Disney refers to a round number of approximately 15,000 + plus volunteers supporting the annual events each year and refers to the volunteers as critical. Welll if volunteers are critical then treat them accordingly and a little incentivizing will go a long way to maintaining the resource.
Yes, medical volunteers in the medical tent by the finish line are a god send. The volunteer RNs helping out play a key role, and also volunteers at runners expo at ESPN, etc. A number of runners vomit in many places and volunteers assist custodial in cleaning up. Some say that the volunteers should get paid. The Mouse won't be putting the 15K volunteers on the payroll. The most memorable race I still remember was the 10pm start time Tower of Terror road race throughout WDW approx 10 years ago. The finish line was at DHS, then the entire park was opened until 4am .

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member

Some do. But many are runners themselves or have been volunteering for years.

Without those volunteers, the races won't happen. They do everything, from manning the bib & race shirt pickup booths, setting up the staging areas and corrals race mornings, staffing the hydration & fuel tables along the course, picking up the thousands of cups and other items runners discard, including clothing, cheering us on, handing out medals, water and Powerade after we cross the finish line, handing out the snack boxes, guiding us from and to our resort buses.

And the best part? Cheering us on at 4 AM and throughout the course.

Frankly, I think it's crummy of rD to not give the volunteers a park ticket.

DopeyRunner

Yes, medical volunteers in the medical tent by the finish line are a god send. The volunteer RNs helping out play a key role, and also volunteers at runners expo at ESPN, etc. A number of runners vomit in many places and volunteers assist custodial in cleaning up. Some say that the volunteers should get paid. The Mouse won't be putting the 15K volunteers on the payroll. The most memorable race I still remember was the 10pm start time Tower of Terror road race throughout WDW approx 10 years ago. The finish line was at DHS, then the entire park was opened until 4am .
They ran the nighttime races through 2015, and they were truly some of the best experiences. Keeping the parks open late and giving runners access was an awesome experience, one that will sadly never come back without a leadership change and a sudden realization that constant increasing prices and decreasing value will eventually kill the magic.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They ran the nighttime races through 2015, and they were truly some of the best experiences. Keeping the parks open late and giving runners access was an awesome experience, one that will sadly never come back without a leadership change and a sudden realization that constant increasing prices and decreasing value will eventually kill the magic.

I was hoping that we'd have another nighttime 5k for Springtime. The Everest Challenge 5K?

I'd like to see W&D 5k move back to DAK. I'd like to see the themes for W&D go back to what they were. And the Half be at night again.

Lilofan

Some do. But many are runners themselves or have been volunteering for years.

Without those volunteers, the races won't happen. They do everything, from manning the bib & race shirt pickup booths, setting up the staging areas and corrals race mornings, staffing the hydration & fuel tables along the course, picking up the thousands of cups and other items runners discard, including clothing, cheering us on, handing out medals, water and Powerade after we cross the finish line, handing out the snack boxes, guiding us from and to our resort buses.

And the best part? Cheering us on at 4 AM and throughout the course.

Frankly, I think it's crummy of rD to not give the volunteers a park ticket.
I think there is a tent at the finish line at Epcot where volunteers? give massages to the runners. That's a nice thing for the runners. The meet and greets with Mickey and friends at the finish line was sweet!

tishb

Disney is really spiraling downwards at a fast pace.
Unbelievable..I hope they don't get enough volunteers and have to pay people to work.
I think people are finally getting tired of thier behavior..

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think there is a tent at the finish line at Epcot where volunteers? give massages to the runners. That's a nice thing for the runners. The meet and greets with Mickey and friends at the finish line was sweet!

There is a first aid tent that's not the AdventHealth tent for runners who need ice, etc., to the right after you cross 4ye finish line.

I'd like to see rD bring back the race retreat for Marathon & Princess weekends.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Disney is really spiraling downwards at a fast pace.
Unbelievable..I hope they don't get enough volunteers and have to pay people to work.
I think people are finally getting tired of thier behavior..

Which means they'll increase race registration prices.

rd805

PLEASE -- do not volunteer and support this behavior. Even if you weren't planning on using the ticket, this is ridiculous. They UPCHARGED THE EVENTS EVEN MORE than the previous year!

Drdcm

Unrelated, but does Disney have to pay RCID for infrastructure use during these events? At least in races I’ve helped organize, we had to pay fees to the county/town for them if they weren’t for charity.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom