runDisney Announces Policy Change: No complimentary park tickets for 2023 Wine and Dine volunteers

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
7y8iqi.jpg

Anticipation Popcorn GIF

JohnD

Interesting timing. The reconstituted CFTOD recently ended the benefit of paying for tickets, etc. I wonder if the former RCID bought the tickets enabling Disney to hand them out to volunteers at the Wine and Dine Half-Marathon? Think about it. Disney gets the money from RCID. They're not out any money by giving away "free" tickets.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Interesting timing. The reconstituted CFTOD recently ended the benefit of paying for tickets, etc. I wonder if the former RCID bought the tickets enabling Disney to hand them out at the Wine and Dine? Think about it. Disney gets the money from RCID. They're not out any money by giving away "free" tickets.

RCID has nothing to do with runDisney races.

This is a slap in the face of the thousands of volunteers who man bib pickup, races mornings, etc.

I am shocked and appalled that Disney would do this. Without volunteers, there's be no races.

@DznyGrlSD, what are your thoughts?

CaptainAmerica

Listen i understand what it means to “volunteer” so dont get me wrong but how does Disney benefit from this?!? Its bad PR and my guess these people will be spending money in the parks anyways… just a bad decision imo
I THINK, but I'm not certain, that this is a compliance issue, not a cost-saving issue.

Those tickets are likely taxable in-kind benefits that are likely not excludable from income because they're not "de minimis."

It would be a massive headache for Disney to administer the tax paperwork for that many volunteers if this is indeed the issue.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I THINK, but I'm not certain, that this is a compliance issue, not a cost-saving issue.

Those tickets are likely taxable in-kind benefits that are likely not excludable from income because they're not "de minimis."

It would be a massive headache for Disney to administer the tax paperwork for that many volunteers if this is indeed the issue.

And you'd be wrong.

IRC Section 132 does NOT preclude giving volunteers tickets to the even they volunteered for.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Interesting, are you a CPA? Because I am, and the IRS says that this type of compensation is a taxable fringe benefit.

I'm the retired revenue manager of a large academic 501(c)(3) and it was my JOB to know the de minimis rule. Again, providing event tickets to volunteers are not considered compensation under IRC 132. I had to make this determination on a weekly basis. And I'm a retired accountant.

Splash4eva

So a billion dollar company with countless accountants couldnt handle this?!? Or as someone else has mentioned this can be possibly due to the fact of the Reedy Creek and no longer getting those tickets that Disney may have been playing a cute accounting game with?

lazyboy97o

So a billion dollar company with countless accountants couldnt handle this?!? Or as someone else has mentioned this can be possibly due to the fact of the Reedy Creek and no longer getting those tickets that Disney may have been playing a cute accounting game with?
Reedy Creek Improvement District was buying benefits for their employees through a program offered to all operating participants at Walt Disney World. It wasn’t some accounting game and had absolutely nothing to do with the races which are not organized by the District.

LAKid53

Premium Member

The tickets given at a discount to District staff were part of their benefits package. Completely different situation.

JohnD

RCID has nothing to do with runDisney races.

This is a slap in the face of the thousands of volunteers who man bib pickup, races mornings, etc.

I am shocked and appalled that Disney would do this. Without volunteers, there's be no races.

@DznyGrlSD, what are your thoughts?
Look, I get it. I'm just saying the timing is interesting that tickets are no longer offered at the same time a RCID/CFTOD benefit is pulled. Maybe the two aren't linked at all technically and Disney got cold feet because of the perception issue already pointed out by CFTOD.

CaptainAmerica

I'm the retired revenue manager of a large academic 501(c)(3) and it was my JOB to know the de minimis rule. Again, providing event tickets to volunteers are not considered compensation under IRC 132. I had to make this determination on a weekly basis. And I'm a retired accountant.
Tickets to the Magic Kingdom are not the same thing as tickets to the event being volunteered (i.e. the RunDisney race).

lazyboy97o

Look, I get it. I'm just saying the timing is interesting that tickets are no longer offered at the same time a RCID/CFTOD benefit is pulled. Maybe the two aren't linked at all technically and Disney got cold feet because of the perception issue already pointed out by CFTOD.
This isn’t the first time the benefit has been reduced.

The tickets given to Track Shack were not part of the operating participants employee benefits program. That program is not going away. There are no actual issues with the program.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom