rumors about Alien Encounter

tomman710

AE has to stay, it's become a classic in it's time. WDW needs to have attractions that are not based around their animated films and are geared towards the older family members.

I think it has tons of appeal, especially for repeat visits. Sure, after your first time on it you know what's coming but it's even more fun the more you ride it to catch other people's reactions. I think that's the best part seeing how people react to it, especially the young kids that really believe this is real. It's hilarious and truly original.

Keep AE!!

freaklarm

Originally posted by meanmice
I am not thrilled about the idea to put stitch into AE. I love most Disney animated films, but this was one of the few that I didn't like. I found it boring and almost annoying.

I know this is your opinion on this movie, but the FACT is that this was one of Disney's biggest hits in 2002 and its probably the most popular character at this moment. And I can almost guarantee that if they put Stitch in this ride it will become in one of the most popular rides also. Once again I have to say that this ride is not the same anymore, and if you go there more than once is not scary at all, maybe funny, but is not supposed to be funny, it supposed to scare you and is not doing this anymore. So what I say is that maybe with Stitch they can bring new life to this ride for everybody in the family. For the rest of all looking for thrill, M:S and Forbbiden Mt are coming.

I know that many of you will say that Disney is not just for kids but if you think of all the latest attractions built (or on the way to be build) at the "World" most of them little kids cant get on: AE, ToT, R&RC, TT, Primaveral Whirl, MS and soon FM. So I think that kids also need new options beside the dumbo type rides in Adventureland and DAK, MAoWTPooh, and Philarmagic (which I think will be even more popular in adults because it use classic characters).

Shaman

Originally posted by freaklarm
I know that many of you will say that Disney is not just for kids but if you think of all the latest attractions built (or on the way to be build) at the "World" most of them little kids cant get on: AE, ToT, R&RC, TT, Primaveral Whirl, MS and soon FM.

Still, there are more family based rides at WDW than Kiddie rides, which could change if they make Tomorrowland into a Futuristic Fantasyland. I agree that Disney shouldn't be building rides aimed at a particular age group (that wasn't Walt Disney's intentions). But business-wise and leaving the idealist stuff behind, to stay with the competition Disney needs these types of attractions, like AE, ToT and RnRC. Besides I think the height restrictions are fair (maybe if kids are too small for a ride they are too young as it is to come to the park...i went out on a limb here but i'm one of those people, annoyed with all the strollers) and the restrictions keep kids safe. There should always be a nice balance between the kiddie and the non kiddie stuff. AE can work as both...because if kids want to be scared then they'll go on this. Think of it this way AE is like a futuristic version of the Haunted Mansion. Anyway...just some comments.
:hammer:

noname70

I agree with Meanmice. Please NO Stitch. Disney tried way too hard w/this one and it just didn't go over. It may be the latest thing but it will go the way of "the rescuers et al".
A freshening of AE is all that is needed. New sound, lights etc

imagineer boy

I love AE! It's great! People are still scared on it, even though some of you may not find it scary anymore. It is quite scary when you first go on it, but funny in a way. It's not a ride that has 0% funny in it and 100% in your face scary. Look at it,

Spinlok: Now, ladies and gentlemen, don't scream, and it probably won't eat you.

( water sprays everyone and everyone screams )

Spinlok: I told you to be quiet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol: It's great. Disney at it's best.

ifiowneddisney

I definately agree that it is a mistake to add film characters to every attraction. What happened to the wonder of attractions like Pirates of the carribean and Haunted Mansion that stand as wonderful creations of their own? Adding the film characters to every ride somehow diminishes the attractions themselves, somehow impling that the attractions aren't interesting enough on their own to exist without the help of a film chacter. That being said, I must also agree that Ae is not in the Disney spirit. It is simply too intense and I find it almost cruel to subject young people to. Especially in these times of such turmoil, I don't see how anyone can find that atrraction appealing. I went on it the first time and was so scared that my parents were going to panic, that I vowed never to go on it again. Then I decided to give it one more chance and felt just as bad as the first time. Both times, I saw every child under the age of ten terrified and literally bawling their eyes out. I just came away feeling kind of gross and violated and like i needed a cigarette to calm my nerves. While the people have a point that there is no need to ride if you don't like the attaction, I just think that something more fun and inspiring could be put in it's place. On a side note, I'd love to see Disney do something with the big building that used to house the Tommorowland sky way. And while I'm on the topic, why don't they make the Chalet style building in Fantasyland (Also a defunct skyway building) into a coffee house with great coffee and pastry and a roaoring fire to sit by and watch the merriment of Fantasyland?

imagineer boy

Well, there are PLENTY of warnings in front of the attraction taht little kids may be frightened. Wadda ya know, people ignor them. That's why you see so many crying kids. I like to think AE as a horror movie with a side of comedy in it. Sort of like The movie, The Mummy. It has its funny moments and scary moments.

Sir: Oh, shut up scruffy. You're not burned, you just have a healthy glow.
:lol:

Shaman

Originally posted by ifiowneddisney
That being said, I must also agree that Ae is not in the Disney spirit. It is simply too intense and I find it almost cruel to subject young people to. Especially in these times of such turmoil, I don't see how anyone can find that atrraction appealing. I went on it the first time and was so scared that my parents were going to panic, that I vowed never to go on it again. Then I decided to give it one more chance and felt just as bad as the first time. Both times, I saw every child under the age of ten terrified and literally bawling their eyes out. I just came away feeling kind of gross and violated and like i needed a cigarette to calm my nerves.

The real world ESPECIALLY NOW, is much more intense than AE or any other ride at any theme park. Innovation has always been in the Disney spirit, and AE is part of that innovation.
Also I think that if you see the name of the ride up front ALIEN ENCOUNTER, thats grounds enough that this ain't Winnie the Pooh, so right off kids that tend to scream at the smallest fright shoudn't go on (younger kids especially). I don't understand why some people have problem with AE...if you got scared when you went on the ride, then Disney was successful (thats the point of AE). Not everything in the real tomorrow land will be beautiful, inspiring and perfect, just look at the land of today...we have people killing each other off left and right.
Some parents should be more careful in selecting the rides their children will ride. AE needs some touch ups...but not STITCH! Anyway everyone is entitled to their own opinion and thats just mine.

imagineersrock

I must also agree that Ae is not in the Disney spirit. It is simply too intense and I find it almost cruel to subject young people to. Especially in these times of such turmoil, I don't see how anyone can find that atrraction appealing. I went on it the first time and was so scared that my parents were going to panic, that I vowed never to go on it again. Then I decided to give it one more chance and felt just as bad as the first time. Both times, I saw every child under the age of ten terrified and literally bawling their eyes out. I just came away feeling kind of gross and violated and like i needed a cigarette to calm my nerves.

look, there are far more than enough warnings that suggest how intense this attraction will be; let me see OH! how about the bright yellow outlined exclamation point with the text next to it that reads; THIS ATTRACTION MAY BE TOO INTENSE FOR YOUNG CHILDREN AND SOME ADULTS ...well that might be a hint...
-oh yes, then that same information is posted throughout the entire queve.... (still dont get the point?)

OH! heres a real thinker; the name of the attraction is; the extraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter.

last time i checked, TERROR is defined as intense fear (yet another hint of what this attraction will have to offer.)

-now i understand that children dont always react as expected, but if a parent decides to take little susie (who is afraid of her own shadow) on an intense dark attraction in which shes strapped to her seat in a room with a loose alien, then yes that would be the parents fault!

[one last thing- the reason you felt so gross was because of that cigarette you were smoking to "calm your nerves" ...and those under 10 kids actually enjoyed the ride; the fumes from your cigarette simply made their eyes water!)]

*:lol: sorry IFIOWENDDISNEY, its nothing personal, i simply had a shot at a joke and couldnt resist taking it!! (welcome to the forums!!) -lol, some greeter i make!!!:hammer:

freaklarm

Originally posted by dxwwf3
Nope. S.I.R. says Scruffy here instead of Skippy.

Sorry for asking. Once again I proved that I don't really know a lot about this ride because I just dont like it anymore,BTW, it should be replaced by somthing better, it is just a waste of space, for me is just one of those "ride once and I'm done", not scary anymore so the Terror part of the name ExtaTERRORestrial is not there anymore so it looses its purpose. The old attraction (don't remember the name now) was much better. MY OPINION

imagineer boy

Originally posted by freaklarm
Sorry for asking. Once again I proved that I don't really know a lot about this ride because I just dont like it anymore,BTW, it should be replaced by somthing better, it is just a waste of space, for me is just one of those "ride once and I'm done", not scary anymore so the Terror part of the name ExtaTERRORestrial is not there anymore so it looses its purpose. The old attraction (don't remember the name now) was much better. MY OPINION

Do you mean Mission to Mars? I know it's your opinion, but I cannot imagine! In AE, you sit in the dark with loud special effects and very scary moments. In Mission to mars, you sat in a room where your chairs moved slightly and you wtched the floor. Talk about boring! Not to mention cheesey. I'm glad they replaced that ride with AE. I know what you mean, AE does loose some of its surprising touch after a while, but it's loads of fun to watch the reactions of the people who are going on it for the first time.:lol:

Shaman

Originally posted by imagineer boy
AE does loose some of its surprising touch after a while, but it's loads of fun to watch the reactions of the people who are going on it for the first time.:lol:

I agree, thats why they should only do a couple of changes to the show. Perhaps they can transport instead of one alien, two aliens, into that chamber....that way there can still be an element of surprise each time, especially if they make it random where the effects go. Another idea could be, that the Alien and the XS people have a fire fight then they could simulate lazer bullets (or something like that) passing by your head or ear like they do with the darts in Indi over at Disneyland in Cali.
All AE needs, is some new things added to the show which will refresh the terrorizing qualities of this great attraction. A great thing would be for different things to happen each time you ride like in ToT (but thats a bit more complicated). They should make the chamber part of AE a bit longer too. Just my 2 cents. :hammer: :lookaroun

ifiowneddisney

I just think that the attraction could be more inspiring instead of plain scary. I honestly listened to people when I exited the second time and found most people with a negative reaction. They weren't scared in that fun, WOW! kinda way, more just happy to be out of the death trap they just sat through. I'm not a wimpy ride person who thinks everything should just be rainbows and puppy dogs (although I am always interested ina good raindog and puppy bow), but I think that while the concept of the attraction is interesting, the exocution is wrong. Does anyone else feel trapped when they put those bars down. And, the chaos of everyone screaming in the room is too much. I kept thinking what if someone had a real emergency and no one could tell because they thought it was part of the show. No one's a bigger fan of Disney than me me but, I'm sorry guys I have to stick with my original post on this one.
PS: I'll maintain my view that all the junkfood being eaten at the parks are more hazardous to my health than my occasional cigarette. That being said I'm still going to quit, just as soon as they reopen Horizons!:animwink:

imagineer boy

I just think that the attraction could be more inspiring instead of plain scary.

It is not. It is inspiring and not plain scary. When you first went on it, maybe you didn't notice the comedy in the ride when you went on it. Look at the comedy of it:

"Ladies and Gentlemen, live and personal, chairman Clench!"

"Uuh Spinlok, sice when did Clench have Wings?"

( loud roar )

"It's an Alien! Teleport it back! Before it eats someone!"

And....

"Ladies and gentlemen, with the security beams are activated, this monster cannot escape!"

( the security beams go out and the monster escapes )

and.....

"Glass is broken, tons of damage, what's going on?"

"Never mind just find the switch!"

and......

"Did you find the problem?"

( loud roar )

"Uuh..... yeah........ I think I have"

( alien eats him and everyone is sprinkled with water )

"Ladies and Gentlemen, please, I ask that you don't scream, and it probably won't eat you!"

( more water sprinkles the audience and everyone screams )

"I TOLD YOU TO BE QUIET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

See what I mean?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom