Rumored WDW Haunted Mansion changes...

CTXRover

Originally posted by disneyisbest
Just for the record CTXRover. I don't believe it either. But if it should happen I would just consider it another one of Disney's blunders.

It sure would be a HUGE mistake and if a permanent change like this would ever come I think I might just stop being a die-hard Disney fan since I would then know that there is not one brain among all the executives at Disney (well maybe not completely ;), but I sure would lose a tremendous amount of respect for Disney). That is just how much I think HM matters (both in entertainment value and significance in Disney history). That said, I have more faith than that in Disney and know they wouldn't do this, even if it was considered at one point. As Grizzly suggested, just imagine the backlash!!

They are free to update HM with more current effects or animatronics if they want, but don't mess with the overall theme. Its not like HM doesn't attract the crowds. Its got fastpass for goodness sakes :lol: :)

Donfan

One of the things that's bothered me about this whole thing is why not just re-release some of the old movies that the current rides, especially in Fantasyland, are based on. I don't think any of my kids have seen Peter Pan or some of the others. And who remembers where the characters in Splash Mountain came from? My kids have certainly never seen Song of the South. And what about all those great old Disney shorts that would lend themselves well to upgrades to rides? How about upgrading the Haunted Mansion to reflect the Ichabod Crane story rather than Nightmare Before Christmas. And Big Thunder Mountain could be based on Pecos Bill. There could be some room for Paul Bunyon and Fantasyland could do a ride based on Mickey as Jack the Giant Killer (seven with one blow). There are lots of others so that Disney doesn't need to rely on people like Tim Burton for ideas.

General Grizz

So you're basing Fantasyland's flaws on your children not seeing the films. But then you go on to the Haunted Mansion and BTMR that aren't even based on films?

I say, 1. Show your kids Peter Pan!! :D It's a wonderful film that I know the young uns here have watched dozens of times. . . and 2. keep the ORIGINAL attractions original. . . BTMR and HM are attractions that don't have an officially DEFINED story, which gives it a great sense of re-rideability. . . and the status of two of the most popular attractions in Disney history! :)

But interesting points. I'll agree that Splash Mountain's Song of the South (or the other way? :lol: ) should be released. . . yet, SM is still one of the top attractions.

Donfan

Originally posted by grizzlyhall
So you're basing Fantasyland's flaws on your children not seeing the films. But then you go on to the Haunted Mansion and BTMR that aren't even based on films?

I

I think you missed my point, Grizz, obscure though it was. What I was trying to get at is that there is no point in updating HM with a theme that has little to do with traditional Disney story lines when there are plenty of good Disney storys that could be used instead. Why go for Tim Burton when you can have Washington Irving?

KevinPage

This is soooo not going to happen. I can't believe people actually fall for this stuff.

But I was told that they are going to knock down Spaceship Earth completely and stick a 10 inversion B&M coaster in it's place, to compete with Universal.

Marty Sklar told me as we ate a Turkey Leg in Frontierland and square danced with the CBJ characters. Not only was Marty alot taller than I thought (7'2") he had a huge afro & appeared to be 23 years old.

It's a done deal I tell ya!!! Oh and the tribute to SE will be a Geodome(sp) shaped belt buckle for the coaster restraint.

;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

HMGhost13

as much as i love NBC...it will NOT get a permanent overlay. as stated before by someone else sorry early morning can't think of SN, and myself before the fan base is too strong for the ride to be changed to reflect NBC.

now. with that said.

There ARE somethings they can do tot he mansioon that would make it enjoyable ( THE SPIDERS C'MON!!! EVEN I THINK THAT PART'S LAME!!!) by adding a few new "spooks and spectors" (head count has brought it somewhere near 600 ghosts not 999, so we have room to work)

Joalovar

Originally posted by TheDScoop
...well, from what I heard this weekend, WDW's Haunted Mansion may indeed get the Tim Burton overlay...permanently.

That's right, the rumor is that serious thought is being given to turning Liberty Square's HM into a Nightmare-inspired "permanent overlay" (his term, not mine).

I don't buy this. Not any word. That will be aweful.

bearboysnc

Re: Re: Rumored WDW Haunted Mansion changes...

Originally posted by Joalovar
I don't buy this. Not any word. That will be aweful.

Don't people read through the WHOLE thread before posting? OBVOUSLY, it'll just be seasonal.

Disneyland has tripled it's merchandising efforts for the attraction overlay for 2003. And the crowds are responding, it's not a flash in the pan.

It has all the earmarks of a disney effort these days:

CHEAP & PROFITABLE.

You'll be sure to see WDW get in the act as soon as possible.

DisneyJill

Originally posted by KevinPage
Marty Sklar told me as we ate a Turkey Leg in Frontierland and square danced with the CBJ characters. Not only was Marty alot taller than I thought (7'2") he had a huge afro & appeared to be 23 years old.

I heard that was a wig....:lookaroun

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TheDScoop

Original Poster
As with many rumors, everything is subject to changes and even whims. So, in this case, it may well never happen.

However, I can assure you that nobody was pulling my leg nor was I falling for anything on this one. The source of this information was serious and he is legit.

If you, like me, think this would be a bad idea...I'd definitely make that clear to Disney versus simply passing it off as some guy pulling pranks at IAAPA.

This possibility is definitely past blue sky phase.

Sir Hiss527

It's not a bad idea if they do it correctly. But I assure you that there not gonna close down the original. It's gonna be a seasonal ride only. I still have to see the movie though...:D

TheDScoop

Original Poster
Actually, I think its the imagineers who've gotten bored (or at least are verbalizing every potential reason to remain employed)...;)

I personally would like to see Disney test try this over the holiday season to see if guest like it or not. if the guest like then they can change it permennatly

Mr Disney

In the Parks
Yes
Let me just state for the record that if Disney did this to HM, I would be devastated. It was the first ride that my sister rode on when she was 5. We had taken her in years earlier, but this was the "impressionable" age, and she thought it was the scariest thing she had ever seen. Now I know I'm getting sappy and all, but this was a family moment that my family rarely has and if Disney was to do something this drastic, then I would much rather go to a more conventional theme park.

Swagger

If they do it I would atleast hope they do a better job then DL's. DL's takes them a month to set up. I would atleast hope this took them a year. But I would rather see it seasonally. However, you can touch any of our rides to make them better. DL's on the other hand....no touch.

GIVE US A PHANTOM MANOR MAKEOVER!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom