Rumor: Will Alcoholic Beverages Be Included on the 2018 Disney Dining Plan?

Darkseid

Your numbers are way off. Menus are posted online at various site. Even if you picked the most expensive items you still come out on top paying out of pocket.

This does vary largely depending on restaurant choices though. It is very possible to walk away on top, but it requires planning and being mindful of prices. On my last trip, we saved $77 for a family of 3. We are light eaters, so we split our breakfast and lunch between QS credits, and paid nothing out of pocket for food.

For example, if you go to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch, they have a platter that costs 19.99, plus another 3.69 for a soft drink. Then if you go to dinner at Be Our Guest, their entrees are $21-$35. Add in a drink and dessert at about $8, and you are at $66.68. I usually budget the 2 snacks to be about $8-10. The grand total -without alcoholic or specialty beverages is about $76.68. Yes, it is a small difference, but it is possible to use the plan and come out on top.

Raineman

The tone of many posters on this thread, and every other thread here about the DDP, just kills me. It's pretty simple to me-if you don't feel like you are getting value for your money with the DDP, don't buy it. If I want to use the DDP, don't give me a lecture about how I'm spending too much, the DDP is ruining dining at WDW, etc, etc. I know how much it will cost me, I accept the cost and are willing and able to pay for it. Here is why we use the DDP: when we are saving for our next Disney trip, even if we didn't get the DDP, we would still have to save a similar amount of money to pay for our meals and snacks at WDW. So, we just get the DDP, and that meal money is included in the package price. Could we be paying more for the DDP than what we would actually spend on food? Sure, but I don't think it would amount to a large sum, and if we can't afford to pay that difference to get the DDP, we shouldn't be booking a trip to WDW in the first place. So, if you feel that adding alcohol to the plan makes it too expensive, and that the extra expense is not justified if you or your children will not be using it, then ditch the plan, and just use cash/credit-but don't tell me that I'm wrong for buying the plan. Again, pretty simple to me.

Hockey89

The tone of many posters on this thread, and every other thread here about the DDP, just kills me. It's pretty simple to me-if you don't feel like you are getting value for your money with the DDP, don't buy it. If I want to use the DDP, don't give me a lecture about how I'm spending too much, the DDP is ruining dining at WDW, etc, etc. I know how much it will cost me, I accept the cost and are willing and able to pay for it. Here is why we use the DDP: when we are saving for our next Disney trip, even if we didn't get the DDP, we would still have to save a similar amount of money to pay for our meals and snacks at WDW. So, we just get the DDP, and that meal money is included in the package price. Could we be paying more for the DDP than what we would actually spend on food? Sure, but I don't think it would amount to a large sum, and if we can't afford to pay that difference to get the DDP, we shouldn't be booking a trip to WDW in the first place. So, if you feel that adding alcohol to the plan makes it too expensive, and that the extra expense is not justified if you or your children will not be using it, then ditch the plan, and just use cash/credit-but don't tell me that I'm wrong for buying the plan. Again, pretty simple to me.
The food quality has gone down bc of this plan... Simple.... That and it has caused costs to go up.... Plus, it can slow down service...I've seen it plenty of times with big tables and the waiter is dying.... So yeah, people's tone is going to be like this....

Raineman

The food quality has gone down bc of this plan... Simple.... That and it has caused costs to go up.... Plus, it can slow down service...I've seen it plenty of times with big tables and the waiter is dying.... So yeah, people's tone is going to be like this....
That's debatable, and what your saying could be true-I think the food quality would be declining and meal costs would increase even if the DDP didn't exist, cause Disney wants to get more bang for their buck, and the less they have to pay for their food supplies and their cooks/chefs, the more money that are going to make. What I meant were the people mostly complaining about the price, which again leads me to "If it's too much, don't buy it."

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Your numbers are way off. Menus are posted online at various site. Even if you picked the most expensive items you still come out on top paying out of pocket.
The new price of the DDP makes "Free Dining" a more attractive option, since it looks like you're getting more value for your lodging dollar, even at rack rates.

21stamps

This is the issue.... At 10 I ordered everything off the adult menu.... At 18 you are not a "junior" You can drive, vote, and fight....

Yeah, I've seen plenty of 10 year olds eat a lot of food. If there was a "junior sized" portion for 13 year olds then I'm sure people would be complaining that their kids were still hungry.lol

Raineman

Yeah, I've seen plenty of 10 year olds eat a lot of food. If there was a "junior sized" portion for 13 year olds then I'm sure people would be complaining that their kids were still hungry.lol
My 11 year old DD can demolish adult sized portions-the size and variety of kids menu options at WDW does not interest her at all. She was 8 when we went to WDW with her the first time, and even then she wasn't impressed with the kid's menu.

21stamps

My 11 year old DD can demolish adult sized portions-the size and variety of kids menu options at WDW does not interest her at all. She was 8 when we went to WDW with her the first time, and even then she wasn't impressed with the kid's menu.

I was the same lol...definitely wasn't ordering off of a kids menu at age 10.
My tweenage nephew can demolish food right now, eats about 5x more than me.lol

Use buffets at Disney for example, I'd say a lot of kids over age 9 will probably be eating near the same amount as adults. The pricing makes sense, imo.

Weather_Lady

I was the same lol...definitely wasn't ordering off of a kids menu at age 10.
My tweenage nephew can demolish food right now, eats about 5x more than me.lol

Use buffets at Disney for example, I'd say a lot of kids over age 9 will probably be eating near the same amount as adults. The pricing makes sense, imo.

I agree that it makes sense. My children are presently 9 and 10, but their appetites fluctuate depending on whether they're having a growth spurt. Some days they eat enough for several grown men -- other days I can barely entice them to finish a sandwich. That's part of the reason our Disney dining is strictly out-of-pocket, and centers on visits to a la carte restaurants where the kids can both order off of whichever menu they want, depending on what kind of portion size they can handle that day. (I've done the math and even if one of them opts for an adult meal now and then, with our family's particular ordering habits and restaurant preferences we'll still save at least 20% on our dining costs by going out-of-pocket instead of using the DDP.)

21stamps

I agree that it makes sense. My children are presently 9 and 10, but their appetites fluctuate depending on whether they're having a growth spurt. Some days they eat enough for several grown men -- other days I can barely entice them to finish a sandwich. That's part of the reason our Disney dining is strictly out-of-pocket, and centers on visits to a la carte restaurants where the kids can both order off of whichever menu they want, depending on what kind of portion size they can handle that day. (I've done the math and even if one of them opts for an adult meal now and then, with our family's particular ordering habits and restaurant preferences we'll still save at least 20% on our dining costs by going out-of-pocket instead of using the DDP.)

Yep.
..And appetites are going fluctuate regardless of age. There's times when I order a kid's meal for my 7 year old and he doesn't even finish a quarter of it. There's time when I order him an adult meal and he'll finish all of it...and other times when he eats only a few bites.
A restaurant can't be responsible for our eating fluctuations with their pricing. They go by what's "generally" going to happen. Generally ages 10 and up will eat adult portions.

Legendary

The new price of the DDP makes "Free Dining" a more attractive option, since it looks like you're getting more value for your lodging dollar, even at rack rates.
The key words are "looks like". Trust me each and every year we run the numbers with current menu prices. For at least the past 4 years it's is a better value paying cash for food that you will actually eat (and not throw out because it's to much) in conjunction with what ever room discount they are offering. I can't even tell you how many deserts or 3/4 full cups of soda we have thrown out or have seen thrown out. It totally depends on your family. Some days we are just not that hungry, so my daughter and I will split a meal. Paying cash gives us that choice. Free ice water at all QS locations saves $$ big time.

Legendary

Get your point. But there are a ton of people on these threads that don't have the money and its helpful to hear both sides to determine what works best for your family.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
And I've officially seen it all. People defending Disney charging 10 year olds as adults. What could Disney do to make you sheeple question their pricing structure?

21stamps

And I've officially seen it all. People defending Disney charging 10 year olds as adults. What could Disney do to make you sheeple question their pricing structure?

Maybe because some of us look at the world outside of Disney, and realize that kids are charged the same as adults at many places..or within a few dollars of an adult.

But, just out of curiously, at what age do you think a child to pay an adult price for tickets and the dining plan?

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Maybe because some of us look at the world outside of Disney, and realize that kids are charged the same as adults at many places..or within a few dollars of an adult.

But, just out of curiously, at what age do you think a child to pay an adult price for tickets and the dining plan?
When they are adults?

21stamps

From the crazy stuff I have seen people say on Disney websites.. if Disney World actually allowed tweens and teenagers to be on a kid's dining plan... I could totally see people making their 15, 16 and 17-year-olds live on child portions for a week so they can go to Disney World and use the savings for souvenirs or a different room category.
Sorry, feed your teenager age appropriate portions of food. If you don't want the dining plan, make them live on kid's meals out of pocket. At least Disney wouldn't be promoting that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom