Rumor: I'm hearing crowd levels are down

Doug Means

Original Poster
I'm hearing from no specific confirm-able source, that because of the virus scare the crowds are down. Because my source is not very reliable, i'm wondering what people are actually seeing at the parks

Zé_Carioca

Honestly, not terribly yet, Just last this past weekend it was as crowded as usual.

Now, maybe going forward as the hysteria grows, crowds will decrease.

Last edited:

justintheharris

I think we're at the beginning of a crowd slump for two reasons
1. The panic is setting in regarding coronavirus as cases have now hit Tampa and previously people were saying "my trip is in two days, I'm not changing anything" but some people at the time were saying "my trip is in a month, perhaps I should change my mind."
2. Financial panic is setting in. A recession seems likelier and likelier with each passing day with the current trajectory of things and people realizing that are unwilling to commit to spending so much on a Disney trip.

I think by late April and early May it will really be quiet.

Parker in NYC

I think we're at the beginning of a crowd slump for two reasons
1. The panic is setting in regarding coronavirus as cases have now hit Tampa and previously people were saying "my trip is in two days, I'm not changing anything" but some people at the time were saying "my trip is in a month, perhaps I should change my mind."
2. Financial panic is setting in. A recession seems likelier and likelier with each passing day with the current trajectory of things and people realizing that are unwilling to commit to spending so much on a Disney trip.

Based on what's been going on in the circus of a thread I started over in News and Rumors, I feel that point number 2 is the thing that will ultimately stop people in their tracks. As for the virus, unless flights and/or Disney shut down, folks will continue to go.

seascape

On CNBC this morning they were talking about companies delaying capital expenditures by months. They also talked about huge cuts is business travel. On the investment side they said the cuts in travel were more on the business side rather than individuals. So where does that leave Disney and Universal? Who is not going and is the problem worse in California or Florida? As for Orlando, I was readung that I Drive faced a bigger problem than either Universal or Disney, but what about Seaworld? Do they need a rescue? For comparison, the combined market cap of Cedar Fair, Six Flags and Seaworld is under $6 billion, less than the cost of either Shanghai or Beijing's new parks, so will all 3 survive a major downturn and who will save them?

wdwfan22

This week hasn't been as busy as it has been however it wasn't forecasted to be either. Park closing times were at 8:00 for Magic Kingdom, so they were never expecting huge crowds. This coming week larger crowds are expected. Magic Kingdom is open till 10:00 pm most nights with an 11:00 pm close on Tuesday.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
People have said wait times are down at DLR and they believe its due to COVID-19.
I don't think that's the case as of yet at WDW when you look at the wait times.
It makes sense that WDW is not effected yet since as we know DLR is mostly local and WDW is mostly out of the area so people decided not to cancel a big family trip.
I kinda hope that crowds do start to drop though then more discounts will come out and I'll still go as I'm not terribly worried.

lazyboy97o

This week hasn't been as busy as it has been however it wasn't forecasted to be either. Park closing times were at 8:00 for Magic Kingdom, so they were never expecting huge crowds. This coming week larger crowds are expected. Magic Kingdom is open till 10:00 pm most nights with an 11:00 pm close on Tuesday.
The correlation is not so direct. Disney has been reducing hours despite anticipated visitation, even to the point of some days have the shortest hours seen in years.

Lilofan

We are going at the end of May. 12 strong in our group. The coronavirus is much more contagious than the flu but will effect each person differently. The effects will range from mild sickness to severe. I have COPD so it will slam me if I get it but a younger health person may be effected relatively little.
There is little chance of a recession based on the economic numbers. The stock market has the jitters but is becoming a bargain for the long term investors.
COPD is a terrible illness. I wouldn't go if I were you.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
unfortunately wait times do not tell you if star tours is operating 1 or 6 simulators or if big thunder is operating one or two sides

This.

I seriously wonder when people say “the parks are mobbed” if they had ever Been in wdw Before the reservation crowd control system really took effect in roughly 2015??

ddbowdoin

I’m not sure an all expense paid trip to WDW could put me on a plane now and spend time in the Petri dish that is Disney.

Rumrunner

COPD is a terrible illness. I wouldn't go if I were you.

Unfortunately I fully understand the severity of COPD and appreciate your concern. By the end of May I fully expect the entire situation will change as the hype and misinformation will be in the rear view mirror.

If the worst case scenario like occurred in China develops we will reevaluate. The coverage on Fox Business today with the CDC experts was very encouraging.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom