Rumor - Fast Pass change- Both parks linked starting April 6th

Curious Constance

Selfishly, I'm glad these will offer fastpass because I'll get one and not have to wait much at all. Although, since the amount of fastpass tickets you can obtain are limited, it does suck that your in between fastpass attractions may have increased wait times now due to more attractions offering fastpass.

mickEblu

Original Poster
We went last week, RSR was 120 minutes, TSM was 40. I looked at the app yesterday and compared it to what we were seeing last Wednesday...all the times were roughly the same with the exception of TSMM which was 80 min. So my non-scientific analysis it that like any ride that gets FP, standby times will/have increased. Matterhorn ought to be fun.

The only thing that may throw a wrench in this theory is the fact that it is so new. A lot of guests probably wanted to get a Toy Story FP first thing just for the novelty of it. I hope so at least. I predict that after Spring Break and the novelty dies down a bit that the average stand by wait times will be about 60 min.

On another note 60 min still sucks. I had a nice system going where I would get a Screamin FP, wait in line for Toy Story (wait time usually posted at 45 min but it was usually closer to 35 min) and ride Screamin almost immediately after.

drizgirl

The only thing that may throw a wrench in this theory is the fact that it is so new. A lot of guests probably wanted to get a Toy Story FP first thing just for the novelty of it. I hope so at least. I predict that after Spring Break and the novelty dies down a bit that the average stand by wait times will be about 60 min.

On another note 60 min still sucks. I had a nice system going where I would get a Screamin FP, wait in line for Toy Story (wait time usually posted at 45 min but it was usually closer to 35 min) and ride Screamin almost immediately after.

Or maybe it's so new that a lot of people don't even realize it's offered yet and haven't built a TSMM fastpass into their touring plan yet.

Rich T

Same, and oddly enough I find it more troublesome to park hop from DCA to DL than vice versa. Maybe it's because most of my "don't miss" favorites at DL are good step away from the main entrance.

Frankly FPs are such a pain to get now that on my last trip I pretty much opted for Early Morning to knock out the big rides I wanted to do and only used FP when it was convenient to grab one. We were given preferred seating at the Hyperion and an open FP as part of our DLR hotel package, which helped a bit. We also used single rider a few times, which is usually a much better option than FP as it allows you to ride when you want rather than waiting for a reservation window.
This. Seriously. For me, it's, "Fast Pass? What's a Fast Pass?" Almost never use them at all. My group arrives before opening, has a wonderful morning, and makes use of the Single Rider Lines. And we do TSMM during World of Color. :)

mickEblu

Original Poster
Or maybe it's so new that a lot of people don't even realize it's offered yet and haven't built a TSMM fastpass into their touring plan yet.

That could be. Meaning it would be even longer than 80 min in the future :eek:. But I would bet the other way. It's a popular ride that people make a point of riding. So between the crowded spring break and the locals/ APs going out of there way to get a TSMM FP I think the stand by times will go down... eventually.

D

Deleted member 107043

I always rode TSMM at DCA as it was never more than 40 mins...usually 30.

That's interesting because the last time I visited (2 summers ago) the wait was so bad that we passed. I don't recall what the posted wait time was, but it was definitely longer than 30 minutes.

SuddenStorm

Disney should have a week where they disable the FP system, and force everyone to wait standby and see how wait times, food sales, and merchandise sales are connected.

Yes, all evidence points to stand by times being lengthened by FP, but if you only have to wait in a few long lines, but FP everything else, you can save time overall. For example, by having Space Mountain, BTMRR, and Splash Mountain be walk on because I got Fastpasses, waiting an extra half hour for the matterhorn is acceptable.

But if by getting rid of FP's every wait time is halved, it might be better overall to not have them.

Curious Constance

Disney should have a week where they disable the FP system, and force everyone to wait standby and see how wait times, food sales, and merchandise sales are connected.

Yes, all evidence points to stand by times being lengthened by FP, but if you only have to wait in a few long lines, but FP everything else, you can save time overall. For example, by having Space Mountain, BTMRR, and Splash Mountain be walk on because I got Fastpasses, waiting an extra half hour for the matterhorn is acceptable.

But if by getting rid of FP's every wait time is halved, it might be better overall to not have them.
You just blew my mind.

mickEblu

Original Poster

I doubt the Standy wait times would be halved if they eliminated FPs. Not 100% sure as it's been about 20 years sure but I remember Space Mountain and Splash Mountain having Hour long lines on moderately busy days in the 90s. Thunder Mountains average wait time these days Is shorter than it was in the late 90s I believe. My theory is that FPs haven't really increased wait times, at least for the Rides offering FPs. If anything the parks are busier so lines have gotten longer.

I think what FP Has done is make the pathways more crowded and the non FP Rides slightly longer.

With all that said I don't know what Id rather have. Suffer through Space Mountains boring long hour queue / Splash Mountains outdoor queue on hot a summer day or deal with the ant farm we have now with DLs 1955 sized pathways that weren't made for today's crowds. Then again, even without FPs, how less crowded could the pathways possibly feel if attendance keeps soaring as it has?

Last edited:

Disney Analyst

Midway Mania is currently a longer wait then any ride in Disneyland itself, and the second longest wait at DCA. I knew FP would destroy the relatively decent standby time it had before. Usually 30-45 minutes on normal busy days. Currently 70 minutes. Hyperspace mountain is only 50... DHS was pure evidence of what fastpass does to this attraction, hence the 3rd track. Yeesh.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Midway Mania is currently a longer wait then any ride in Disneyland itself, and the second longest wait at DCA. I knew FP would destroy the relatively decent standby time it had before. Usually 30-45 minutes on normal busy days. Currently 70 minutes. Hyperspace mountain is only 50... DHS was pure evidence of what fastpass does to this attraction, hence the 3rd track. Yeesh.

Shoot. And lower tier APs are blocked out right now too. Not good. I still think it will level off somewhere around 60 minutes average. Anyway it's not the worst thing in the world for me personally. I may ride it more now since I get to avoid the 45 minute line and awful Q. I think TSMM is a ride that caters more to APs then casual guests because of the repeatability. Anytime I've taken family from out of the town they were a little underwhelmed after waiting even just 40 minutes. I think after the novelty of TSMM having FP wears off, standby will have an average wait time of 60 min or under.

Remember that at DHS, TSMM is only one of what, 2 family friendly rides at the whole park? 5 rides total. DCA has a lot more to do and Disneyland is right across the esplanade. So the impact shouldn't be as bad here.

Disney Analyst

Shoot. And lower tier APs are blocked out right now too. Not good. I still think it will level off somewhere around 60 minutes average. Anyway it's not the worst thing in the world for me personally. I may ride it more now since I get to avoid the 45 minute line and awful Q. I think TSMM is a ride that caters more to APs then casual guests because of the repeatability. Anytime I've taken family from out of the town they were a little underwhelmed after waiting even just 40 minutes. I think after the novelty of TSMM having FP wears off, standby will have an average wait time of 60 min or under.

Remember that at DHS, TSMM is only one of what, 2 family friendly rides at the whole park? 5 rides total. DCA has a lot more to do and Disneyland is right across the esplanade. So the impact shouldn't be as bad here.

I hope so, if it gets to 100 minute territory and fastpass gone super early, i'm out. The good thing is fastpass is still available.

Californian Elitist

Yep. Imagine what the wait times for Matterhorn will be like.

D

Deleted member 107043

My theory is that FPs haven't really increased wait times, at least for the Rides offering FPs. If anything the parks are busier so lines have gotten longer.

This. Rarely does anyone take into account the long-term impact that the proliferation of APs and seasonal promotions have had on waits at DL. All we hear from online fans is that FP is the primary reason for long standby lines when the only reason FP exists at all is because the parks are consistently overwhelmed with people.

The real solution, one that Disney will likely never do, is to limit the number of people allowed entry each day. Do that and problem solved.

Last edited by a moderator:

Curious Constance

It's hard for me to wrap my brain around FastPass's effect on wait times, but one thing that I think contributes to the higher wait times when Fastpass is added to an attraction, is suddenly a whole new group of people, who would have skipped the attraction all together because they weren't willing to wait the 45 minute standby line, can now get a Fastpass and get on it with little to no wait. So standby wait times are higher over all, but more people getting to experience it than did before due to Fastpass. Does that make any sense?

Disney Analyst

It's hard for me to wrap my brain around FastPass's effect on wait times, but one thing that I think contributes to the higher wait times when Fastpass is added to an attraction, is suddenly a whole new group of people, who would have skipped the attraction all together because they weren't willing to wait the 45 minute standby line, can now get a Fastpass and get on it with little to no wait. So standby wait times are higher over all, but more people getting to experience it than did before due to Fastpass. Does that make any sense?

Well I mean in the end, it's the ratio of Fastpass to Standby that are being allowed on. I know once that I counted how many they let on Little Mermaid before letting I think 6 standby through the merge was 30-40 FP.

drizgirl

And people who used to be happy with one ride now want to ride over and over. (Not that I have ever done that. ;))

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom